C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

91 L98 Fuel Pump short? - Pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 02:55 PM
RiceBurnerZ07
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 91 L98 Fuel Pump short? - Pics

Hi all,

Before anyone gets all flustered about using the search for the forum I did and really didn't see anything like this before.

Short story short... Just had the car shipped up to NY from Florida on an open trailer hauler. Shipper stated that they wanted less then half a tank in the car, so my father siphoned the tank down to less then half and drove the car to meet up with the truck to have the car taken away, about a 2 mile drive.

Shipper loads the car and takes off like he should. Calls about midway through and states the car is outta gas.. Car arrives here in NY and drops it off at a gas station. The car had half a tank but wont run. I put a fuel pressure gauge on and no pressure, so I pull the pump and this is what I find.

What is my next move?

Old 09-14-2014, 03:24 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Order a new sending unit and put it in and go. You can purchase a new sending unit with a pump already on it. That would be my suggestion. Looking at that plug and looks like it arced. That gives me goose bumps thinking about an explosion.
Old 09-14-2014, 03:44 PM
RiceBurnerZ07
Instructor

Originally Posted by l98tpi
Order a new sending unit and put it in and go. You can purchase a new sending unit with a pump already on it. That would be my suggestion. Looking at that plug and looks like it arced. That gives me goose bumps thinking about an explosion.
That's what I was thinking. I know you can test the pump by using a 12v source, but should I assume the pump is toasted?

I've learned a little about the tanks of tanker ships and I know there is a lower explosive limit (LEL) and an upper explosive limit (UEL). Assuming you can treat the gas tank of car the same way, since there is mostly fumes from the tank in the open area of the tank and very little oxygen, the mixture is not in zone for it to be 'dangerous', regardless not safe on bit.

Last edited by RiceBurnerZ07; 09-14-2014 at 04:55 PM.
Old 09-14-2014, 05:05 PM
playsdixie
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts

covette central has a nice stainless unit pump and sending unit....wasn''t that much....stainless is the way to go...
Old 09-14-2014, 05:14 PM
RiceBurnerZ07
Instructor

I see most of the normal sites have the units with or without the pump. Is there any way to just order the harnesses for both sides of the tank? The fuel gauge was working when I took it out but the fitting that sits on the outside of the tank was slightly charred. If needed I could buy a whole new sending unit, but I'm a college student on a budget.
Old 09-14-2014, 05:40 PM
playsdixie
Drifting

Originally Posted by RiceBurnerZ07
I see most of the normal sites have the units with or without the pump. Is there any way to just order the harnesses for both sides of the tank? The fuel gauge was working when I took it out but the fitting that sits on the outside of the tank was slightly charred. If needed I could buy a whole new sending unit, but I'm a college student on a budget.
budget or not, do you want something that sparks/burns in your gas tank??? making up the wires is easy....just use the same guage and connectors....I'd think about it though.....we'd like you around for the next semester....
Old 09-14-2014, 06:14 PM
RiceBurnerZ07
Instructor

Originally Posted by playsdixie
budget or not, do you want something that sparks/burns in your gas tank??? making up the wires is easy....just use the same guage and connectors....I'd think about it though.....we'd like you around for the next semester....
I think I understand what you are saying. But correct me where I am wrong, the metal frame and tank top is the cause of this and not the harness with the wires?
Old 09-14-2014, 06:53 PM
playsdixie
Drifting

can't really say for sure....I guess a bad connection could do that....I was thinking it would be the pump itself....I guess you could put it back together and test it before you install it. Did you disconnect the neg battery cable before removal?....probably a good idea...get your education about static somewhere else....
Old 09-14-2014, 06:59 PM
RiceBurnerZ07
Instructor

Originally Posted by playsdixie
can't really say for sure....I guess a bad connection could do that....I was thinking it would be the pump itself....I guess you could put it back together and test it before you install it. Did you disconnect the neg battery cable before removal?....probably a good idea...get your education about static somewhere else....
Ok. Yes the car is currently without the battery connected, and I've sealed up the top of the tank with a plastic bag and duct tape to keep crap from falling down in. I'll get the sending unit and a new pump ordered tonight.

Whats the deal with the sites selling units with pumps for 319 and then units without pumps for 170.. You can pick up a pump for 90 and be done at 280ish?? Am I missing something?
Old 09-15-2014, 12:44 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

If you have a poor connection the high resistance will cause it to heat up (Ohm's law: P = I * I * R). That will melt the plastic of the connector (very common problem).

The voltage in the tank is far too low to arc to anything. The general rule of thumb is that it takes 25,000 volts to arc 1 inch in air.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:55 AM
RiceBurnerZ07
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
If you have a poor connection the high resistance will cause it to heat up (Ohm's law: P = I * I * R). That will melt the plastic of the connector (very common problem).

The voltage in the tank is far too low to arc to anything. The general rule of thumb is that it takes 25,000 volts to arc 1 inch in air.
I ordered a whole new sending unit and pump from Rockway Auto. Pretty good deal. I'll keep everyone posted.

Last edited by RiceBurnerZ07; 09-15-2014 at 06:57 AM.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:41 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Good choice.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:05 PM
RiceBurnerZ07
Instructor

Car is running again. Rock Auto fuel sender unit fit like a glove. I got a check gauge light after I reconnected the battery so I'm looking into that.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:17 PM
RiceBurnerZ07
Instructor

My guess is that the battery has been pulled way down. I jump started the car initially and ran around for an hour trying to place some charge on it. Should be alright?
Old 09-19-2014, 06:21 AM
playsdixie
Drifting

disconnect the neg cable...it'll clear the code...happens everytime you disconnect the fuel pump.....good job..

Get notified of new replies

To 91 L98 Fuel Pump short? - Pics

Quick Reply: 91 L98 Fuel Pump short? - Pics