C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Recommendations for Spark Plug Wire Management

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 08:44 AM
Rik O'Shay
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Recommendations for Spark Plug Wire Management

I'm looking for a spark plug wire loom kit that will work with my 1991 L98 engine-

The Moroso kit that I thought would work didn't due to the tubes that are right next to the heads.

Photos would really help- thanks for your recommendation
Old 09-15-2014, 09:22 AM
Rik O'Shay
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Here are pics of both sides of the engine-

Old 09-15-2014, 10:03 AM
1963SS
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's one solution.

Old 09-15-2014, 10:10 AM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

I like stock. Ran a 3/8 drill through them so the bigger MSD wires fit.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:33 PM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

I've used the "Made For You" wire looms in the past and I was pretty happy with them.

http://www.made4uproducts.com/centerbolt_kits.htm
Old 09-16-2014, 11:56 PM
W1WLH
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Plug Wire Type?

I want to replace the black spark plug wires on my 1985 C4 L98 with RED wires. I want them already cut to length and no assembly - just plug and play! Anyone have suggestions on what to buy and what NOT to buy?

Thanks,
Bill
Old 09-17-2014, 12:22 AM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Everyone has such beautiful spark plug wire routing. Mine looks like a mess. No matter what I do, still looks a mess. Haha.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:29 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,947 Posts

Originally Posted by TA
I've used the "Made For You" wire looms in the past and I was pretty happy with them.

http://www.made4uproducts.com/centerbolt_kits.htm
I have that exact setup. MSD wires though
Old 09-17-2014, 12:33 AM
W1WLH
Cruising

Originally Posted by aklim
Thanks for the comment. Can you be a bit more specific on where you got the spark plug wires and how much they cost you? Were they RED?

Bill
Old 09-17-2014, 12:42 AM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

I just use the plastic loom seperators

Name:  image-1223738140.jpg
Views: 1865
Size:  367.6 KB
Old 09-17-2014, 12:50 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by W1WLH
Thanks for the comment. Can you be a bit more specific on where you got the spark plug wires and how much they cost you? Were they RED?

Bill
Yes they were red. They were bought from Summit Racing or Jegs. MSD wires but not for your needs though. I had to custom cut them and you want PnP so not sure how to help you. It isn't that hard. I bought the MSD crimper and it sits somewhere in my tool drawers till I need it again.
Old 09-17-2014, 03:07 AM
Masterspykiller
Instructor

Default Same Questions - WTB Looms and PnP Wires

I have been looking into the exact same situation (1991 L98 rebuild) for looms and RED spark plug wires already cut to length.

I like 1963SS's suggestion, but I don't have the bucks for that kind of solution, even though they ARE RED too!

I like TA's "made for you" looms, but those are only for center bolt valve covers and I JUST bought shiny new Canton perimeter bolt valve covers for the new AFR heads.

I know MSD wires are usually red, but I haven't seen a set SPECIFICALLY for a L98.

A few years ago I bought a set of wires from TPIS that was cut to exact length for L98, but I think they were gray. I can't tell if the ones they carry now are precut to the right lengths, but they do not look red either.

Still looking...
Old 09-17-2014, 05:21 AM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Look at my avatar for my set up. Custom blended with two different styles of looms. I doubt your going to find any color beside gray or black that are true custom fits. Universal sets are not hard to do. what are yall scared of?

Last edited by HlhnEast; 09-17-2014 at 05:44 AM.
Old 09-17-2014, 05:53 AM
Shag
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DanielRicany
Everyone has such beautiful spark plug wire routing. Mine looks like a mess. No matter what I do, still looks a mess. Haha.
lol, Mine looks like trash.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:15 AM
W1WLH
Cruising

Originally Posted by HlhnEast
Look at my avatar for my set up. Custom blended with two different styles of looms. I doubt your going to find any color beside gray or black that are true custom fits. Universal sets are not hard to do. what are yall scared of?
Sorry, I'm not up on things like Avatar's?

Not scared - just cautious! I ran into a fellow 1985 Corvette owner at Corvettes at Carlisle a few weeks ago who told me he had major issues with spark plug wires that were not the correct Ohms for his engine - can't remember what ohms he said I needed for the L98 so......... I'm hoping to find RED wires that are pre-cut and are the correct ohms so i don't have issues there also. Do you know anything about this subject?

Last edited by W1WLH; 09-17-2014 at 10:23 AM.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:29 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Sorry, I'm not up on things like Avatar's?

Not scared - just cautious! I ran into a fellow 1985 Corvette owner at Corvettes at Carlisle a few weeks ago who told me he had major issues with spark plug wires that were not the correct Ohms for his engine - can't remember what ohms he said I needed for the L98 so......... I'm hoping to find RED wires that are pre-cut and are the correct ohms so i don't have issues there also. Do you know anything about this subject?
Never heard about wrong ohm reading affecting it like you say. They have low resistance wire but not an incorrect ohm value.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:20 PM
W1WLH
Cruising

Never heard about wrong ohm reading affecting it like you say. They have low resistance wire but not an incorrect ohm value.
I think we're both on the same sheet of music, an ohm meter measures resistance. If the resistance is incorrect, there's big problems. That according to another Vette owner who went down this same path. I was advised to buy a wire set that's made for my year car and pre-cut to the correct lengths - that's what I plan 2 do if I do anything!

If anyone knows of such a beast, please let me know where you got it and how much it cost. From what I'm seeing at local and Internet auto parts stores (NAPA - Advance - Auto Zone - Corvette Central - Mid America Motor Works), red wires are VERY expensive - like in the $100 range. If I can't get them 4 a whole lot less I'll skip that idea 2.

Get notified of new replies

To Recommendations for Spark Plug Wire Management

Old 09-17-2014, 11:20 PM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Masterspykiller
I have been looking into the exact same situation (1991 L98 rebuild) for looms and RED spark plug wires already cut to length.

I like 1963SS's suggestion, but I don't have the bucks for that kind of solution, even though they ARE RED too!

I like TA's "made for you" looms, but those are only for center bolt valve covers and I JUST bought shiny new Canton perimeter bolt valve covers for the new AFR heads.

I know MSD wires are usually red, but I haven't seen a set SPECIFICALLY for a L98.

A few years ago I bought a set of wires from TPIS that was cut to exact length for L98, but I think they were gray. I can't tell if the ones they carry now are precut to the right lengths, but they do not look red either.

Still looking...
The wires in my pic are 8.5 MSD Superconductors and they do make an L98 application, although as you can see in my picture they are a bit tight if using my style looms.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ms...model/corvette

I actually abandoned the Made4You looms on my new engine, but used the same wires.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:25 PM
aklim
Team Owner

I think we're both on the same sheet of music, an ohm meter measures resistance. If the resistance is incorrect, there's big problems. That according to another Vette owner who went down this same path. I was advised to buy a wire set that's made for my year car and pre-cut to the correct lengths - that's what I plan 2 do if I do anything!

If anyone knows of such a beast, please let me know where you got it and how much it cost. From what I'm seeing at local and Internet auto parts stores (NAPA - Advance - Auto Zone - Corvette Central - Mid America Motor Works), red wires are VERY expensive - like in the $100 range. If I can't get them 4 a whole lot less I'll skip that idea 2.
No offense but that vette owner doesn't sound like he knows what he is talking about. I'm not the most handy guy around and I made it work. It isn't that difficult. The hardest part is to get the length you want. If he cannot do that, I doubt he can change his oil.

Good wires are NOT cheap. Cheap wires are cheap for a reason.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:53 PM
leesvet
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Silicone is what you are looking for,. and yeah they ARE quite expensive. They come in the basic "cool" colors..red, blue, yellow.

See your local speed shop for the selection. Bring your Amex card..you;re gonna need it.

Quick Reply: Recommendations for Spark Plug Wire Management