C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Lost keys

Old 09-15-2014, 11:40 PM
DeeAnn Kauhi-Borgner
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost keys

I lost my keys to my 1988 corvette, what can i do? My Dad tried to drill out my ignition. Cylinder now turns but, nothing happens help.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:50 PM
cudamax
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DeeAnn Kauhi-Borgner
I lost my keys to my 1988 corvette, what can i do? My Dad tried to drill out my ignition. Cylinder now turns but, nothing happens help.
Now you are going to have to replace the cyl lock key with an older non anti-theft one and by-pass the primitive module.
Pull and or unscrew the panel just below the lock cyl and mess with the little pin thats under there. Its made to put the key in and turn to acc, push the pin and the cyl comes out

And read this
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...key-codes.html
Old 09-16-2014, 10:41 AM
Kmcoldcars
Melting Slicks

Received 285 Likes on 134 Posts

Also keep Dad from working on the car.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:33 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,255 Likes on 2,017 Posts

Originally Posted by Kmcoldcars
Also keep Dad from working on the car.
Dad actually had a reasonable approach if the car was stranded in other than the driveway BUT he either wasn't aware of the VATS or he did and just disregarded it. Had it not had VATS it could have been driven home.

Actually with a VATS Interrogator it could still be likely made drivable until a replacement cylinder and some keys are done. I believe that it will need a VATS ignition cylinder regardless if the VATS is defeated or not. I checked and I believe the VATS cylinder is maybe something near 1/8" longer than the conventional cylinder and I don't believe the mesh of the nylon pinion to the rack will be consistent with the shorter non VATS cylinder. I had mentioned earlier swapping some cylinders but I believe rather than replacing VATS cylinders I changed some early chrome thumb bezel cylinders with black at the owners request. He!! it's been maybe 25 or 30 years. I just might check that again.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 09-16-2014 at 11:57 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Lost keys

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lost keys