C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Steering Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 11:42 PM
W1WLH
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Steering Issue

My 1985 Vette has 75K miles on it and I'm noticing a quarter to one half inch play in the steering wheel when sitting still or moving. Do those of you who have C4 Vettes in the range of 1984 to 1986 have this sort of movement? I suspect that my rack and pinion unit may be showing signs of wear or perhaps rod end play although my mechanic says not. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Bill
Old 09-17-2014, 01:04 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,017 Posts

I would look into the intermediate shaft if the mechanic says that the rack is OK. I would have thought if he was asked to check he might have checked that also and he would have also checked maybe the rack mounting bushings. You might ask that he does this OR maybe with your hands on the intermediate shaft have someone in the car shake the steering wheel. You should feel intermediate shaft problems.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:05 AM
W1WLH
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
I would look into the intermediate shaft if the mechanic says that the rack is OK. I would have thought if he was asked to check he might have checked that also and he would have also checked maybe the rack mounting bushings. You might ask that he does this OR maybe with your hands on the intermediate shaft have someone in the car shake the steering wheel. You should feel intermediate shaft problems.
Thanks for the tip. I'll have my mechanic take a closer look at the steering issue. If it's a problem with the intermediate shaft, do you know if parts are available to correct that deficiency?
Old 09-17-2014, 10:32 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,017 Posts

Originally Posted by W1WLH
Thanks for the tip. I'll have my mechanic take a closer look at the steering issue. If it's a problem with the intermediate shaft, do you know if parts are available to correct that deficiency?
The '84 & '85 presents it's own set of "special" circumstances. This eBay offering gives you an idea of what to expect unless it's been serviced previously. I'm going to avoid offering solutions.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-1985-C4-CORVETTE-ADJUSTABLE-STEERING-GEAR-COUPLING-SHAFT-7843500-/261541521493?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3ce516e855&vxp=mtr
There are many threads discussing the repair of, just by using the search. There are less expensive eBay offerings also but you're getting maybe what you've already GOT!

Here's a thread that comes to mind for consideration:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ing-shaft.html

EDIT: I forgot that Corvette Central actually offers the '84 - '85 in a "reconditioned" assembly. It's an option maybe:

Use the OE/GM part # 7843500 or their part # 564214 to search

http://www.corvettecentral.com/

Last edited by WVZR-1; 09-17-2014 at 11:12 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Steering Issue

Quick Reply: Steering Issue