C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

87 coupe, L98, squeaky distributor bushings

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 01:28 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

An update on my black 87 with the squeaky distributor....i've been driving it and its getting more noisy. My brother and I bought a red 85 from another province and that got pushed to the top of the priority list for free time work. So I havn't pulled the dizzy yet.

However, I wanted to update this thread in case anybody else hears a scary noise from their engine bay and wonders "did i spin a bearing"? or is this the dizzy making that awful noise?

I bought a 15 dollar mechanics stethascope and and i was listening to various parts of the engine and it wasn't until i placed the scope ON THE SCREWS of the dist cap that the squelching squeeking noise came through loud and clear. Pics attached. So if you are wondering what the noise is, you can possibly pinpoint a distributor as your source of noise this way.

video of my noise at bottom.

I will report back with an "after" video after I have replaced it. I have my new distributor just need to find the time after this 85 is up and running to get this done.

Quick Reply: 87 coupe, L98, squeaky distributor bushings