C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Seat belt-light chime ABS problems: Are they all connected?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 09:44 PM
ghr4news
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Seat belt-light chime ABS problems: Are they all connected?

Have read several posts about a chime problem, Now I have it too.
And that's just one of several electrical problems I'm trying to solve.

My 86 has been blowing out the 10A gauges fuse also knocking out the ABS system as that's when I first realized there was a short somewhere when the ABS warning light came on and stayed on.
Some have posted that it could be from dirt and grime getting into the ABS sensors. I checked both front sensors and they were fine. I have not checked back sensors and seeing the make up of their placement, it is next to impossible for dirt to get in there as the rear hubs are sealed.
Besides, and please correct me if I'm wrong. The sensors are magnetized and can only send information to the ABS computer. Even though there are two wires to the sensors. There is no isolation of the circuit as the tip of the sensor and its casing come into contact with one another.

Now my door-headlight-seat belt chime starts ringing when I turn the headlights on; even after I've buckled the seat belt and both doors are closed. The chime will even ring when the car is turned off and the key is out of the ignition switch. It'll even start ringing when I turn the headlight switch to the parking mode.
This alarm chime started doing this after my initial problem with the 10A fuse problem. I've stopped trying to replace the fuse as it blows out every time. Once it lasted for about a week before it blew out. Without that fuse, my AC-heater control unit doesn't work either because that fuse link also provides power to the unit.
Could there be a short in the AC-heater control unit?

Also my door lights wont turn off as they used to when you turned the ignition switch to the on position. They'll stay on for the :30 seconds or so and then they turn off.
Mine is a 4+3.
I know there is alot here to digest, but maybe someone in the forum has had similar problems and found out how to resolve them.

Thanks,

George

Quick Reply: Seat belt-light chime ABS problems: Are they all connected?