C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

QA1 Shocks

Old 09-24-2014, 05:00 AM
spro2395
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default QA1 Shocks

Hi all
I'm looking at buying new shocks for my 85. I'm trying to decide between the non adjustable QA1 and Bilstein Z51. I plan on using the car for autocross. Does anyone have experience with both?
Thanks
Old 09-24-2014, 08:56 AM
Deakins
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My Bilsteins were old when I went to the double adjustable QA1's so I can't really do a comparison. I will say that the QA1 shock is a very nice shock and has done very well for me in the performance department (but the double adjustable shock is in a different league than both that you listed). If you decide to go with the QA1 I may be able to help you on the price some. Just my .02
Old 09-25-2014, 08:33 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 639 Likes on 443 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I've run the QA1 single adjustable and Bilstein Sport (z51) Both worked well with my FE1 suspension.
Since my 86 is lowered the QA1 did not have enough dampening control to slow suspension compression on the streets.
The Bilsteins worked better for the street, and had a shorter stroke for a lowered suspension.
My suggestion is to run the QA1's. They build sport shocks, not street shocks.

Learn how to adjust tire pressure to compensate and balance the car.
Spend a season learning how to drive competitively and saving your money.
Then start planning your changes with the knowledge of what will suite your driving style.
Best advise I ever received when I started autoxing.

You should have enough saved for a set of dual adjustable QA1's then.
Having adjustable shocks is an autocrosser's dream. Along with enough torque to shear off wheel studs..

Old 09-25-2014, 09:19 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Hi

Here are some of the main issues with coilovers on early c4's.

1. the stamped metal plate they bolt on to need to be replaced with a 1/4-1/8 inch steel plate to spread the load across to the lower control arm. (Is easy enough to cut out the shape you need with a oxy accetelyne cutting tip, then use a vice and hammer to shape it and drill the holes and the shock reccess)

2. The sway bar needs to be moved forward on some cars depending on the coilover thickness, i made a new sway bar to lower control arm rod to clear the coilovers.

3. You may need to widen the shock absorber towers, easilly done with a large shifter, you only need a litle extra room.
You may be ok with the QA1 coilovers as their design has the threaded part on top of the coilover.

4. If you want to street use the car i recommend single adjustable and the lighter springs, heavy duty race type springs will really affect the ride on normal highways.
For autocross you will definitly benifit from double adjustable and track springs.

I would suggest visiting the Van steel website, see link below they have all the accessories you need.

http://www.vansteel.com/index.cfm?fu...&subgroup=1972

Last edited by gerardvg; 09-25-2014 at 09:38 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To QA1 Shocks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: QA1 Shocks