C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Climate control issues!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 06:50 PM
smooth1990
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Climate control issues!!

Today I was driving my 92 over to put it on the dyno and all the way there the climate control was intermittently turning itself on. I would shut the thing off and 5 minutes later it would turn back on. On the way home it did the same thing. After I got home I let the car sit for about 1/2 hour then decided to take it to the store. When I started the car baack up the screen for the temp display was nothing but dash lines acrossed it.

After I got about 2 blocks from home the heater fan kicked on full blast, the screen lite up and said outside temp 166*. I wasnt able to turn the fan off or anything.

When I got back out the store, the dash lines where across the screen again and the heater fan was on high. No buttons would control anything.

After I got home I disconnected the battery in hopes that it would somehow fix it. Didnt work lol. So I pulled the A/C fuse..

Im guessing I either had a ground bad or a bad relay or the climate control box itself is shot.

Any body have any idea how to confirm any of this?
Old 09-26-2014, 07:39 PM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Received 141 Likes on 116 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Have you taken controller unit out and tried cleaning the buttons?

If not, take a look at this thread with video.
Quite a few of these it seems where the buttons eventually don't do anything when pushed.
I cleaned mine a couple of years ago, and it has worked great ever since.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ol-repair.html
Old 09-26-2014, 07:55 PM
Ozzstar
Pro

Received 256 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by smooth1990
Today I was driving my 92 over to put it on the dyno and all the way there the climate control was intermittently turning itself on. I would shut the thing off and 5 minutes later it would turn back on. On the way home it did the same thing. After I got home I let the car sit for about 1/2 hour then decided to take it to the store. When I started the car baack up the screen for the temp display was nothing but dash lines acrossed it.

Any body have any idea how to confirm any of this?
I made the video of the climate control head repair. It would be nice if it could become a sticky so people could more easily find the info to this common problem with the C4's. Unfortunately smooth1990 from the symptoms that you are describing it appears that the climate control PROGRAMMER is in need of repair. It is located above the accelerator pedal, up behind the dash knee panel. A real pain to get to. You can try cleaning the control head first like I show in my video but most likely will need to repair the cc programmer. I don't have a video on this repair yet but you can check out the link below to get a better direction. Good luck -Ozz

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-repaired.html
Old 09-27-2014, 12:30 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Check out this post on how to go into diagnostic mode on the HVAC controller:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1585305121-post2.html
Old 09-28-2014, 07:12 PM
smooth1990
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Ozzstar
I made the video of the climate control head repair. It would be nice if it could become a sticky so people could more easily find the info to this common problem with the C4's. Unfortunately smooth1990 from the symptoms that you are describing it appears that the climate control PROGRAMMER is in need of repair. It is located above the accelerator pedal, up behind the dash knee panel. A real pain to get to. You can try cleaning the control head first like I show in my video but most likely will need to repair the cc programmer. I don't have a video on this repair yet but you can check out the link below to get a better direction. Good luck -Ozz

Great write up! It seems the controller will be the route of all evil in this one and I am not looking forward to digging into it! Im not very good at soldering or circuit boards either but Im going to give it a try! Thanks Guys. Ill post back with my experiences with this one lol.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:04 PM
woody001
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ozzstar

Nice video.I just went out and did it.Was'nt hard at all .Thanks Ozstarr
Old 09-30-2014, 10:54 AM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

This is a really nice and well done video. I did a write up on the control head years ago but the video is truly a good step by step instruction for anyone and more informative that a simple write up.

Sorry I did not make a video for the programmer repair but I think the video fits the control head repair better.
The following users liked this post:
Ozzstar (08-12-2016)
Old 09-30-2014, 12:13 PM
Ozzstar
Pro

Originally Posted by woody001
Nice video.I just went out and did it.Was'nt hard at all .Thanks Ozstarr
Your welcome Woody, glad the video was helpful to you. Saved yourself a small fortune and got it done right!! Take care- Ozz
Old 09-30-2014, 12:14 PM
Ozzstar
Pro

Originally Posted by pcolt94
This is a really nice and well done video. I did a write up on the control head years ago but the video is truly a good step by step instruction for anyone and more informative that a simple write up.

Climate Control Repair- C4 Corvette - YouTube

Sorry I did not make a video for the programmer repair but I think the video fits the control head repair better.
Thanks for the compliment Pcolt!
Old 08-11-2016, 09:21 AM
BlackbirdLT4
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys, I have a '96 LT4 Convertible, 82k on it, bought it last fall. My first Corvette. This spring I began noticing intermittent issues with my Climate Control, at times, the buttons are unresponsive. I'm ashamed to say this, but the "Flintstone Fix" (a solid whack to the side of the console) will coerce them into working again. Note that the buttons I use the most are "OFF", "AUTO" and the temperature buttons, all of which will exhibit this symptom, and the others will too. It's not just one or two of the buttons.

In all of your experience, what am I dealing with here? Buttons that need cleaning? A loose connection? A unit that needs rebuilding? Thanks in advance!
Old 08-12-2016, 10:54 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

That sounds like it needs cleaning the buttons. I have had a '94 and a '96 that the buttons didn't work or worked occasionally. Cleaning the buttons made them work like new.

Good luck.
Old 08-12-2016, 12:08 PM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Received 141 Likes on 116 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by BlackbirdLT4
Hi Guys, I have a '96 LT4 Convertible, 82k on it, bought it last fall. My first Corvette. This spring I began noticing intermittent issues with my Climate Control, at times, the buttons are unresponsive. I'm ashamed to say this, but the "Flintstone Fix" (a solid whack to the side of the console) will coerce them into working again. Note that the buttons I use the most are "OFF", "AUTO" and the temperature buttons, all of which will exhibit this symptom, and the others will too. It's not just one or two of the buttons.

In all of your experience, what am I dealing with here? Buttons that need cleaning? A loose connection? A unit that needs rebuilding? Thanks in advance!
Yes, buttons.
Your symptoms are what most experience, and following the cleaning instructions have fixed 99% of them.

My '96 was doing the same thing, and cleaning the buttons fixed it.
BlackbirdLT4 (08-12-2016)
Old 08-12-2016, 01:26 PM
Ozzstar
Pro

Originally Posted by BlackbirdLT4

Make sure the connector for the wiring harness has clean pins and a tight connection. Might as well clean the contacts like i demonstrate in the video. Good luck - Ozz
BlackbirdLT4 (08-12-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Climate control issues!!

Quick Reply: Climate control issues!!