C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Upgrade Exhaust system

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 03:36 PM
New Kid on the Block
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrade Exhaust system

Looking to upgrade system in my 94. Want a little more growl then factory installed system...suggestions?
Old 09-29-2014, 04:36 PM
leesvet
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

wow...
purely a matter of personal preference..

There are a bunch of "cat-back" systems that do that. They all have a sound that's unique to themselves. I forget who it is, but one of the bigger mfgr's has a CD they will send you with a bunch of different types of exhaust from lots of mfgrs and you can hear the options...
Lots of likes for the corsa, borla,magna-flow and other "name" brands. I am running some "glass-packed" tips with no mufflers after a 2.5" system that has a little bit of a chirpy idle but it wakes up as soon as you touch the gas...and WFO gets you a roar worthy of a turbo-prop airplane engine.

BE ADVISED THAT WHATEVER YOU DECIDE ON, Find someone that's got that system and see what they say. Often these systems come with the dreaded "droning" that is the scurge of exhaust upgrades. That is often fixed with a X pipe of some sort or other cross-over type of add-on near the rear Y pipe. True duels, or the stock style big single thru the middle also make a difference.

You can find lots of kits in the catalogs, ecklers, mid-America, corvette America, and some others. look online and you might find who ever has that CD of sounds. That's where I'd start. Listening to the options and THEN looking at the prices !

good luck !

Don't worry, its just like shopping ,....take you wife along. She'll know what to do.

Last edited by leesvet; 09-29-2014 at 04:39 PM.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:39 PM
volkswagens-for-life
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You looking for a header back or just a muffler or just a catback or what?

I highly suggest long tubes and a full corsa cat-back. Corsa sounds just amazing on corvettes.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:30 PM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Another vote for Corsa!
Old 09-29-2014, 06:06 PM
New Kid on the Block
3rd Gear

Default System upgrade continued...

1st, thanks for the input guys...

When I was in the market to buy, was reading up on a Vette in Florida, he had may upgrades, including this statement...
"custom cat-back exhaust system using Magna-Flo resonators and balance tube….great sound without being obnoxious"

Liked the "without being obnoxious" line...just want a growl
Thoughts?
Old 09-29-2014, 06:40 PM
Karsten
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

On my 1994 I have Chambered tubes and no mufflers at all. Sounds great and not overly loud.

Karsten
Old 09-29-2014, 09:50 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

I ordered OBX from ebay. The reviews are actually pretty amazing. I will have it installed by a muffler shop. Its the most affordable and it does contain the xpipe and supposedly the drone is non-existant or at least not noticable. i can let you know how it goes when it arrives. VT.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:11 PM
FrankJr94
1st Gear

Have ARH LTHs with x-pipe and HF cats exiting out Magnafow mufflers. Have a great sound and no drone once up to cruising speed.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:14 AM
96 lt-4
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Corsa is sex to the ears and more so with long tube headers....but it carries a price.The most affordable route is probably removing the rear mufflers and running pipe/tips in it's place.
After that the magnaflow axleback will improve the sound as well.If you shop around you can get a decent deal.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:26 PM
Geardo
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Corvette Central has a big choice

Get notified of new replies

To Upgrade Exhaust system

Quick Reply: Upgrade Exhaust system