C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

C4 1984 injector change

Old 10-01-2014, 01:18 AM
lectroglide
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default possible C4 1984 injector problem?

Might be helping a buddy that might need an injector swap on a 84, the problem is a quote below from the gentlman

The car just doesn't want to stay running, it seems like the injectors aren't pushing out enough gas. If she starts up I usually have starting fluid or pored gas into the throttle body. But then it won't keep going so it puts and then dies

Last edited by lectroglide; 10-01-2014 at 01:42 AM.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:40 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

The '84 injectors are very reliable. His problem is more likely to be a dirty fuel filter or a bad fuel pump. How old is the filter? If it hasn't been changed for a long time, that's where I'd start.

To check the fuel pressure, remove the fuel filter and put a "T" in a piece of fuel hose in place of the filter, with a pressure gauge at the "T". The fuel pressure should be between 9 and 13 psi.

You'll spill some fuel when you remove the filter, so plan ahead, work quick, and work safe!

If the fuel pressure is low, there's a possibility the hose inside the tank that connects the pump to the fuel line is leaking. After all, the car is 30 years old! The pump is accessable thru the top of the tank at the fuel filler.

The following users liked this post:
jimmcg8 (03-23-2016)
Old 10-01-2014, 12:59 PM
lectroglide
Pro

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
The '84 injectors are very reliable. His problem is more likely to be a dirty fuel filter or a bad fuel pump. How old is the filter? If it hasn't been changed for a long time, that's where I'd start.

To check the fuel pressure, remove the fuel filter and put a "T" in a piece of fuel hose in place of the filter, with a pressure gauge at the "T". The fuel pressure should be between 9 and 13 psi.

You'll spill some fuel when you remove the filter, so plan ahead, work quick, and work safe!

If the fuel pressure is low, there's a possibility the hose inside the tank that connects the pump to the fuel line is leaking. After all, the car is 30 years old! The pump is accessable thru the top of the tank at the fuel filler.

thanx for the info
Old 10-01-2014, 02:40 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 766 Likes on 548 Posts

I had the same issue that the OP is describing. I rigged up a Tee for a fuel pressure gauge and got a reading of about 3 psi. Pulled the pump assembly out of the tank and found a split hose at the pump output. Replaced the hose and the engine started right up.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:20 PM
lectroglide
Pro

Originally Posted by 69427

I had the same issue that the OP is describing. I rigged up a Tee for a fuel pressure gauge and got a reading of about 3 psi. Pulled the pump assembly out of the tank and found a split hose at the pump output. Replaced the hose and the engine started right up.
hose in the tank?? oh man that sounds like a long drawn out PITA job
so does the tank have access and if so where is it? maybe someone can post a picture, thanx
Old 10-01-2014, 04:13 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by riversidedan1
hose in the tank?? oh man that sounds like a long drawn out PITA job
so does the tank have access and if so where is it? maybe someone can post a picture, thanx
See post #2.

Old 10-01-2014, 04:43 PM
lectroglide
Pro

See post #2.

I just seen a picture of how to get to it etc thanx
Old 10-01-2014, 04:55 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

What Hot Rod Roy said.

Vette fuel pump access is about as easy as fuel pumps get....should you have to pull it after testing.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:40 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 766 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
What Hot Rod Roy said.

Vette fuel pump access is about as easy as fuel pumps get....should you have to pull it after testing.

The fuel pump access is so easy it's almost as if the engineers/designers actually gave some forethought to what it takes to work on and repair these cars.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:24 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by riversidedan1
How about a bunch of pictures? Different problem, but still applicable:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...h-article.html

Get notified of new replies

To C4 1984 injector change

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C4 1984 injector change