C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Headlight Motor?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 03:45 PM
boxer141c
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Motor?

I have a 1984 and My driver side headlight stopped opening. I checked the relay and it was fine. So my next step is to replace the motor but before I do that I want to see what you guys think. The motor makes no noise so its not the gears. I guess my only option is to replace the motor?
Old 10-04-2014, 04:09 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

I would test the motor leads for power, but otherwise, sounds reasonable.
Old 10-04-2014, 06:07 PM
ccrazor
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

If you disconnect the motor and have a meter, check for a resistance reading between the grey and green wires and then the white and green on the motor leads. You should get a resistance reading on both. If you get a reading on one and not the other you could open it up and check the two sets of contacts, these open when the door reaches one of its stops.. Might just need a touch up..

Old 10-18-2014, 08:33 PM
boxer141c
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=bogus;1587971713]I would test the motor leads for power, but otherwise, sounds reasonable.[/QUOT

I was almost positive it was the headlight motor that was shot but tonight proved me wrong. I manually opened the headlight so I can drive with both lights on. I turned the car on and pulled the **** to activate my other head light and the driver side headlight (the one that I just manually opened) closed. Any ideas? I know its not relay because I tested that already
Old 10-21-2014, 01:33 AM
xrav22
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

[QUOTE=boxer141c;1588072131]
Originally Posted by bogus
I would test the motor leads for power, but otherwise, sounds reasonable.[/QUOT

I was almost positive it was the headlight motor that was shot but tonight proved me wrong. I manually opened the headlight so I can drive with both lights on. I turned the car on and pulled the **** to activate my other head light and the driver side headlight (the one that I just manually opened) closed. Any ideas? I know its not relay because I tested that already
Try cleaning the connectors very good with spray and sandpaper
Not a wire brush it will spark
Old 10-22-2014, 06:36 PM
GQ-ROD
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check the plastic head lamp housing.

It has 2 screws that are supposed to fit flush against the sides.

Either one could be protruding outward jamming the housing against the hood on the sides, this can eventually damage the fiberglass on your hood.

You can manually turn the black plastic or rubber covered **** on each head lamp motor to bring each light up so you at least have lights at night.

However you will have to disconnect the plugs for the head lamp motors and leave them off until you diagnose the problem and fix it so that the motors are not activated, only the headlamps will come on.

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight Motor?

Quick Reply: Headlight Motor?