C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Zmax Dragway – NASCAR Night….

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 03:48 PM
pmihaltian
Slingshot
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Zmax Dragway – NASCAR Night….

Last night I had an invitation to the Zmax Dragway – NASCAR Night event. This was an invitation only event where the NASCAR guys would drag race their own personal cars. A small contribution was requested to help support a local children’s charity; all in all a pretty cool event.

While in the staging area I overheard one of the factory COPO guys tell his driver that the left lane was the best lane and to stay out of the right lane. This information went in my left ear and immediately flew out my right ear – a big mistake.

Not paying attention, I ended up in the right lane. My reaction times were pretty good at .29 but my 60’ times ranged from 2.3 – 2.7. The best I was able to do in four runs was 13.8 @ 113 mph. I just could not get the car to hook up. I jumped every car I raced by 1-2 car lengths off the line, but by the time I got 1/3 through 1st gear I lost all traction. Each time I hit 2nd gear the car would leap sideways and again lose traction big time. At one point when I hit 3rd gear at about 90 mph the car stepped out so hard to the right that I was looking out the passenger window. Thank GOD for Active Suspension because without it I am sure that I would have been in the wall or worse on several occasions.

It’s pretty hard to concentrate on your shift points and the speed of your shifts when you are focusing on trying to keep the car straight and off the concrete wall. I'm not sure what happened to the right lane. Perhaps someone blew and engine or two there and the track was not sufficiently cleaned up. BUT whatever was going on, the conditions on Zmax right lane last night were deplorable.

Each time I tried to get into the left lane in the staging area, the starters would insist that I get into the right lane. Maybe they wanted the NASCAR drivers to have the benefit of the left lane. However, in hindsight it all seems a little fishy.

One might chalk off this poor performance to a relatively new car and an inexperienced LS7 driver. Maybe, but I have been drag racing Corvettes for 40+ years and I have never experienced such a dangerous track as I experienced last night at Zmax. What’s more, my buddy Dave G, a long time Corvette owner and racer was not able to get his Z06 out of the 14’s all night long in the right lane. He too was not allowed to stage in the left lane.

We finally gave up and headed over to the Speedway Club to cool off with a few beers. While we were there one of the club members overheard us complaining about the Zmax ice skating rink. He said that the local drag racers have given up on Zmax due to its slippery conditions and moved on to the Mooresville Dragway.

At any rate it was a very frustrating night to say the least.

FWIW,

P.
Old 10-10-2014, 07:40 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

Even slippery it still sounds like a fun night.

It is too bad that the track isn't better. A long time ago I went to an 1/8 mile track in Iowa. It was a pretty cool evening and the track was slippery. They had a concrete starting area and the launch was good, but after that it was a slip and slide. I had a 462", 4 speed, 4.56, in a '68 firebird and it was loose. In third gear I was so far out of shape I backed off and hit it again (although I was not to the point of looking out the side window). Even in 4th it was spinning. I was still spinning going through the traps at the finish line.

Even though the times were terrible, it was different and still a lot of fun. It sure beats sitting at home or going to work.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:59 AM
pmihaltian
Slingshot
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by QCVette
Even slippery it still sounds like a fun night.

It is too bad that the track isn't better. A long time ago I went to an 1/8 mile track in Iowa. It was a pretty cool evening and the track was slippery. They had a concrete starting area and the launch was good, but after that it was a slip and slide. I had a 462", 4 speed, 4.56, in a '68 firebird and it was loose. In third gear I was so far out of shape I backed off and hit it again (although I was not to the point of looking out the side window). Even in 4th it was spinning. I was still spinning going through the traps at the finish line.

Even though the times were terrible, it was different and still a lot of fun. It sure beats sitting at home or going to work.
Randy, it WAS exciting and, of course, anytime you get to drive a Corvette fast IS fun. However, my LS7 is an 11 second car and I was disappointed that I could not get the car nearer its true potential.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:21 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Poorly run drag tracks are incredibly frustrating. It's like dangling a candy in front of you, but you can't have it.

Try RMR in UT. If you're lucky, you can get up to 3 runs a night!

113 should be mid-upper 12's, so certainly, you were way off due to traction. That must have been incredibly frustrating. Is your LS7 in a C4? Or a C6? If in a C6, were you getting wheel hop? Mine (C6) used to wheel hop unbelievably at the track.
Old 10-10-2014, 04:54 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

I know what you both mean by disappointing and frustrating. It was for me too.

Although I have been to the track quite a few times, that night stuck with me for about 35 years because it was so different and it still seems like a fresh memory.

Good luck with your LS7 next time, and keep us posted how you do.
Old 10-11-2014, 06:17 AM
pmihaltian
Slingshot
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
Poorly run drag tracks are incredibly frustrating. It's like dangling a candy in front of you, but you can't have it.

Try RMR in UT. If you're lucky, you can get up to 3 runs a night!

113 should be mid-upper 12's, so certainly, you were way off due to traction. That must have been incredibly frustrating. Is your LS7 in a C4? Or a C6? If in a C6, were you getting wheel hop? Mine (C6) used to wheel hop unbelievably at the track.
My LS7 is a C6 convertible. I did not have any wheel hop. I thought the car performed pretty well under the circumstances. There were just some VERY slippery spots on the track that felt like you hit a patch of black ice. With out Active Suspension, I suspect that it may have been near impossible to keep the car on the track.

I found out later that at the last NHRA National meet about a month ago, the sanctioning officials deemed the track unsafe after a pro stocker flipped his car. The Zmax guys really need to get this track in better shape before someone gets hurt really bad.

Get notified of new replies

To Zmax Dragway – NASCAR Night….

Quick Reply: Zmax Dragway – NASCAR Night….