C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

OH boy. This Sucks!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 09:11 PM
Red 91
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Pull the dist. @ check the gear
Old 10-14-2014, 09:12 PM
leesvet
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

yep...
nice work b y a machine. My hand work isn't quite as...precise.

Whenever I do port work for a customer, I try to vacuum up the shavings during the process with the dirt-devil and when they come to pick up their intake or head, I hand them their baggie full of aluminum so they can SEE just how much material was removed! That makes for quite an impression on those that fail to see exactly whats different.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:36 AM
smooth1990
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by leesvet
yep...
nice work b y a machine. My hand work isn't quite as...precise.

Whenever I do port work for a customer, I try to vacuum up the shavings during the process with the dirt-devil and when they come to pick up their intake or head, I hand them their baggie full of aluminum so they can SEE just how much material was removed! That makes for quite an impression on those that fail to see exactly whats different.
Actually this is all hand ported.

Its crazy how much material is taken out of these intakes.

The engine is going to be removed this week. Its a 6 speed car. Im going to pull the bell housing with the engine. Do you usually pull the whole balance or the outter ring when you yank these things? Im wondering what would be easier.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:03 PM
rklessdriver
Safety Car

Received 397 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by smooth1990
Actually this is all hand ported.

Its crazy how much material is taken out of these intakes.

The engine is going to be removed this week. Its a 6 speed car. Im going to pull the bell housing with the engine. Do you usually pull the whole balance or the outter ring when you yank these things? Im wondering what would be easier.
Sorry to hear about the problems.

I pull the harmonic balancer pulley off and leave the hub.

I also pull the bell housing, clutch and FW off before I try and pull the engine out.... makes it much easier to clear the wiring harness on the firewall.
Will
Old 10-21-2014, 04:40 PM
cudamax
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lift the car about 2 feet. Pull the Driveshaft/C-tunnel/Radiator/Condenser/Shifter/Wiring harness/TB cables & all grounds. Disconnect headers and motor mounts bolts
Pull the Motor & Trans Assy with a dummy trans yoke in and engine hoist tilter.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:28 PM
smooth1990
Drifting

Originally Posted by rklessdriver
Sorry to hear about the problems.

I pull the harmonic balancer pulley off and leave the hub.

I also pull the bell housing, clutch and FW off before I try and pull the engine out.... makes it much easier to clear the wiring harness on the firewall.
Will
Hi Will,

I pulled the engine today. The balancer was a pain in the *** like usual. I also left the bell housing and clutch on the engine. I used the happy hooker from tpis. once the balancer was off it came right out. It took a total of 4 hours.

I checked all the rod bearings. they were ok. then I checked the mains. They where wore but not extremely bad. They showed signs of copper in a few places. I mad a new post with pictures.

Also I checked the end play on the crank. it was .010.

I did a leak down on the engine after I got it out. It was cold obviously. All the cylinders were 2% or less leak down except for cylinder number 5. It was at 6% and leaking out the exhaust valve. Not bad for a 383 with rings gapped to .030 for the boost.

Im not sure why the mains are wearing like this. I think they were maybe to tight? It is a splayed 2 bolt block that was line bored.

Last edited by smooth1990; 10-21-2014 at 11:31 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 11:33 PM
smooth1990
Drifting

Old 10-22-2014, 01:16 AM
OldStyle
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smooth1990
I changed the oil on my 383 Lt4 today and I inspected the oil in the filter. It looks like there is very fine specks of copper in it. This motor has 2500 miles on it and runs perfect. It has awesome oil pressure and shows no signs of going south at all...Or I thought...... I made a video. What do you guys think? You can really see the stuff after the 1:30 mark in the video.

Sparkles in oil - YouTube
I saw this once before with a rebuilt engine. Problem was with a cam bearing not driven home.

You need to pull it apart completely, flush all oil passages, remove rings and clean lands completely and scrub-out the block, With a bit of luck, you can save the engine. Just be sure you clean EVERYTHING!. That includes knocking out plugs in oil galleries, clean crank passages and oil pump etc etc. If bearings are scuffed, and they probably are, replace them.

Good luck

Quick Reply: OH boy. This Sucks!