C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

84 window ribbon replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 01:52 PM
ndirishr1
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default 84 window ribbon replacement?

can anyone tell me where to find instructions on replacing the window ribbon? I have the ribbon and don't want to do the upgrade. I searched but only found upgrade instructions. Thank you.

Last edited by ndirishr1; 10-15-2014 at 05:51 PM.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:44 PM
coevettelou
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ndirishr1
can anyone tell me where to find instructions on replacing the window ribbon? I have the ribbon and don't want to do the upgrade. I searched but only found upgrade instructions. Thank you.
did one on my 86 this spring and instructions cam with it from Mid America . I didn't have to remove the whole reg. as they tell you was able to just move top of track up enough to drill out rivet saved some work.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:39 PM
ndirishr1
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by coevettelou
did one on my 86 this spring and instructions cam with it from Mid America . I didn't have to remove the whole reg. as they tell you was able to just move top of track up enough to drill out rivet saved some work.
bought 2 ribbons from MA and they didn't send instructions :<(

I did this a couple of years ago but I'm old and have CRS disease :<(
Old 10-16-2014, 12:19 AM
cigr
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just changed one on my 85. It's pretty straightforward. Pull the door panel, then remove the inner door panel. Undo the bolts holding the window glass to the power assembly, then either remove the glass or clamp it up out of the way.

There's a couple of bolts holding the track at the top, and two or three on the bottom. Take the assembly out. There's one bolt held in by a hex bolt near the top to remove, then you'll need to drill out a couple of rivets in the same area. This will let you separate the track from the guide rod.

Slide off the old ribbon, clean the track and lube it up before you put the new one on. You'll need new rivets or a couple of small bolts to replace the ones you drilled out.

Get notified of new replies

To 84 window ribbon replacement?

Quick Reply: 84 window ribbon replacement?