C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Video How To: 90-96 Heater core replacement without dash removal.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 09:09 PM
JC316
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Video How To: 90-96 Heater core replacement without dash removal.

I do a lot of these how to videos, basically any time I do something, I show how it's done. Well the heater core was leaking in my 92 and I wanted to show how it's done.

After doing this job, I fully recommend taking the radio controller and the secondary fuse block out from under the dash, it's required for the reinstall and would have made the removal so much easier.

The following 3 users liked this post by JC316:
HAWAIIZR-1 (01-26-2023), Oldtrptplyr (11-06-2015), thunder1951 (02-20-2016)
Old 10-17-2014, 09:36 PM
gdl2165
Pro

Received 116 Likes on 83 Posts

All I have to say is Wow. What a royal pain. Nice job on documenting the procedure though.
Old 10-18-2014, 03:12 AM
JC316
Racer

Originally Posted by gdl2165
All I have to say is Wow. What a royal pain. Nice job on documenting the procedure though.
It's not as bad as some that I have done, but it's definitely a pain in the butt. Would have been a whole lot easier if I would have taken the secondary fuse block and the radio receiver out before hand.

At least it's done now, I have heat for the winter.
Old 10-18-2014, 11:48 AM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Awesome, video!...

I was waiting for someone to document this procedure on the 90-96 C4 Vettes!...Thank you!

Two questions,...was that plastic pipe you cut, easy to splice or was that a pain too?...Does that pipe connect to the AC vent?...

Last edited by GKK; 10-18-2014 at 01:15 PM.
Old 10-18-2014, 12:03 PM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

Worthy of being a 'sticky'.... have suggested same to mods.
Old 10-18-2014, 01:50 PM
JC316
Racer

Originally Posted by GKK
Awesome, video!...

I was waiting for someone to document this procedure on the 90-96 C4 Vettes!...Thank you!

Two questions,...was that plastic pipe you cut, easy to splice or was that a pain too?...Does that pipe connect to the AC vent?...

Thanks, glad that my suffering could help others lol. That plastic pipe feeds the defrosters that allow you to see the side mirrors. I actually didn't even need a coupling, it matched back up so perfectly that the defrosters worked without one. I just wrapped it up with some metal duct tape and it's perfect.

I figure if that tape is good enough to seal the heater in the attic of my house, it should be fine for the HVAC in a car.

Originally Posted by seabright
Worthy of being a 'sticky'.... have suggested same to mods.
Thank you.
The following users liked this post:
HAWAIIZR-1 (01-26-2023)
Old 10-19-2014, 10:39 AM
H P Bushrod

Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts
CI 5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Great info! Made it a sticky.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:44 AM
Strick
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

How much did that mechanic's scope cost and where did you get it?
Old 10-21-2014, 12:37 PM
JC316
Racer

Originally Posted by Strick
How much did that mechanic's scope cost and where did you get it?
Northern Tool for $100. I use it for a lot of different things, well worth the money.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:07 PM
94AdmiralBlue
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice vid. I'm going to have to get to mine as well.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:18 PM
deptcruser
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Airbag instructions

So I replaced my core this weekend and have a couple of tips for the passenger side airbag.

Because there's no glovebox the dash pad has to come off and the airbag has to go as well.

I cut the zip ties on the wire harness and disconnected all the conectors.

Remove the lower dashboard support. Two nuts on the left and two bolts on the right. 10mm

Unscrew the air duct on the passenger side and middle vent. Screws are on the back side. 7mm

Push the duct work back and pull up a little. This will give access to the top screw so you don't have to cut the duct like in the video. Remove the bottom while your there.

Remove the passenger window defrost vent so you can pull the tubing off the horizontal duct that was cut.

Remove the other four shinny screws that hold the heater cover on. The top ones are now accessible because of all the crap you removed.
I used a ten inch socket extension on the screwdriver socket handle and
unscrewed them straight through the dash. No gymnastics involved.

Put the passenger side duct back in original position. Grab the horizontal tube and pull towards you to clear the heater cover. Once clear pull the right side of the tube down till it clears the hole.

Pull the heater cover down and wiggle out slowly. There's another hose on the left side on the horizontal tube. Remove it before you pull the cover out. Make a not of the cover position at this point because you will need to reconnect it during reassembly.

During reassembly an ice pick is helpful to get the holes lined up. Use the tape the screws to the socket trick, works great. I could not get the top left screw back in but it doesn't seem to matter. The angle is just not there and I was tired. Also the bracket at the top right that holds the core in has to come out but I could not get it back in. It was the only part that I was working blind on.

So the short suggestion is take the time to remove everything you can. You will have a little flex room to move things around and you can go straight at the cover screws without going upside down. Oh yeah take the seat out it will give you room to work. Hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
HAWAIIZR-1 (01-26-2023)
Old 11-17-2014, 03:22 PM
agillings
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by deptcruser
So I replaced my core this weekend and have a couple of tips for the passenger side airbag.

Because there's no glovebox the dash pad has to come off and the airbag has to go as well.

I cut the zip ties on the wire harness and disconnected all the conectors.

Remove the lower dashboard support. Two nuts on the left and two bolts on the right. 10mm

Unscrew the air duct on the passenger side and middle vent. Screws are on the back side. 7mm

Push the duct work back and pull up a little. This will give access to the top screw so you don't have to cut the duct like in the video. Remove the bottom while your there.

Remove the passenger window defrost vent so you can pull the tubing off the horizontal duct that was cut.

Remove the other four shinny screws that hold the heater cover on. The top ones are now accessible because of all the crap you removed.
I used a ten inch socket extension on the screwdriver socket handle and
unscrewed them straight through the dash. No gymnastics involved.

Put the passenger side duct back in original position. Grab the horizontal tube and pull towards you to clear the heater cover. Once clear pull the right side of the tube down till it clears the hole.

Pull the heater cover down and wiggle out slowly. There's another hose on the left side on the horizontal tube. Remove it before you pull the cover out. Make a not of the cover position at this point because you will need to reconnect it during reassembly.

During reassembly an ice pick is helpful to get the holes lined up. Use the tape the screws to the socket trick, works great. I could not get the top left screw back in but it doesn't seem to matter. The angle is just not there and I was tired. Also the bracket at the top right that holds the core in has to come out but I could not get it back in. It was the only part that I was working blind on.

So the short suggestion is take the time to remove everything you can. You will have a little flex room to move things around and you can go straight at the cover screws without going upside down. Oh yeah take the seat out it will give you room to work. Hope this helps.
I replaced the Heater core on my 85 C4. per above it took me a total of 4 hours. Just take your time, if you start to hurry or take short cuts walk away! It is not as hard as everyone makes it to be! Just take your time!

Get notified of new replies

To Video How To: 90-96 Heater core replacement without dash removal.

Quick Reply: Video How To: 90-96 Heater core replacement without dash removal.