C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

244 cfm stock GM TPI base

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 01:20 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Default 244 cfm stock GM TPI base

Was asked what could be had out of a stock base quite awhile ago, and came across this thread https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1543919697

Had to find out for myself so the answer is YES it can be done but it wont come easy;getting ea port to be fairly consistent is tricky and can consume stupid amounts of time.

In fact over the last yr Ive done this with the GM tpi, Accel, Superram, LT1 and LT4s flowed before/after just to see for myself just havent put it out there yet.

This one saw the flowbench quite a few times to get them all within an acceptable range ;there just isnt any more room to go on without busting holes and shocked I didnt on this one. Verge of being overported as it is

With a better fixture I simply (didnt have time to improve on) scratching 250 is a huge maybe. Next time.

There is still the FIRST option which for the money is your best bet if youre a LTR fan. I understand the "E" intake will be obsolete soon so options for these are getting slimmer unless one uses another style altogether

Anyways I never saw a concrete answer with anything to back it up so mystery (for me anyway) solved.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Tact; 10-18-2014 at 03:29 PM.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:55 AM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

..... Wouldn't it be more cost effective to start with a better base manifold like the Edelbrock high-flow , TPIS Big Mouth , or the Accel base ? .......... Any flow numbers on any of these ? ......... As you mentioned , the FIRST is likely the best choice of all especially when you realize/consider that the price includes the throttle body .......
Old 10-20-2014, 04:38 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

If someone was a DIY'er, good w/a grinder and contemplated it sure its worth doing it. Or just buy an Eddy and put it on. Some love the factory stuff others dont care.

Just seen it asked so many times over the yrs wondered myself

They can be made to work well til you plop a runner in front of them

Would have to dig around but think the stock one was around 200ish stock. I got 274 out of an accell; its stock # was less than listed in the link exactly how much Id have to go back and see its been awhile. No two are alike.

A tuned up superram system done right wiht the right head can be done up as a ZERO loss system, save that for another thread.

Why go to all the effort? Curiosity and a personal beef.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:36 PM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
If someone was a DIY'er, good w/a grinder and contemplated it sure its worth doing it. Or just buy an Eddy and put it on. Some love the factory stuff others dont care.

Just seen it asked so many times over the yrs wondered myself

They can be made to work well til you plop a runner in front of them

Would have to dig around but think the stock one was around 200ish stock. I got 274 out of an accell; its stock # was less than listed in the link exactly how much Id have to go back and see its been awhile. No two are alike.

A tuned up superram system done right wiht the right head can be done up as a ZERO loss system, save that for another thread.

Why go to all the effort? Curiosity and a personal beef.

..... Curiosity leads to discovery and , sometimes , a genuine Eureka moment ... I'm always looking Waaay outside the box for info , improvement , performance ... keep it up ! ...... ..........
Old 10-21-2014, 03:32 PM
leesvet
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by C409
..... Curiosity leads to discovery and , sometimes , a genuine Eureka moment ... I'm always looking Waaay outside the box for info , improvement , performance ... keep it up ! ...... ..........
I agree.

Its damn hard to learn anything buy buying somebody elses discoveries !

I learned the most by doing. In this case, I AM planning on taking a stock base and grinding the crap out of it, while getting the runner vol as close as possible. Already cleaned up a plenum, and will cheat with some SLP runners that have been opened up so much that I had to have some 'go thru' spots welded up !

I am doing this to LEARN something. It will take a lot of time. I probably WILL be seeing the welder again ! But, when its all said and done I will have gained knowledge and that cannot be bought.

I'm looking forward to seeing just how much CAN be had out of a good port re-do on the stock pieces, except for the runners. Those were hopeless. I read stuff that guys actually stretched the tubes to open up 2mm more.....must have been like tin foil when done. I'll grind on my SLP's and learn to like that instead !

Get notified of new replies

To 244 cfm stock GM TPI base

Quick Reply: 244 cfm stock GM TPI base