C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Wrong FX3 Shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 06:56 PM
C4ProjectCar
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Wrong FX3 Shocks?

I ordered some replacement FX3 shocks from here:
http://www.eshocks.com/bil_Ind.asp?VC=7Q34&SubChar=Q
and went to replace them today.

When I took the old shocks off, I noticed that the new ones aren't identical. Whereas the old upper shock was dished to accept the rounded rubber insulator, the new upper shock is flat.

I considered just reusing the old upper shock, but the rod on the new shock that has the gear for the actuator is about 1/4 inch shorter than the old one. I've checked and confirmed that they sent me the right shocks for the 89-91 C4.

Here's a picture for comparison.

I'm at a loss as to what I should do. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:07 PM
Jagdpanzer
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 15 Posts

I just swapped out FX3s on my 94 with a new set that look just like yours and had no problems what so ever. Be sure you limber up the adjusting shafts by turning the little gears at the end of the threaded shafts back and forth by hand a few dozen times. If they are to stiff the actuators will not cycle them properly at start up and the FX3 ride control system will throw a code.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:17 PM
C4ProjectCar
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jagdpanzer
I just swapped out FX3s on my 94 with a new set that look just like yours and had no problems what so ever. Be sure you limber up the adjusting shafts by turning the little gears at the end of the threaded shafts back and forth by hand a few dozen times. If they are to stiff the actuators will not cycle them properly at start up and the FX3 ride control system will throw a code.
Unfortunately, the FX3 system has two variations - 89-91, and 92-96. Yours are different than mine, although in what capacity and to what extent I have no idea.

From what my research has found, I need to get new lower insulators/bushings/grommets (different sources call them different things) such as these: http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...1989-1995.html

However, I didn't know you had to turn the shafts by hand to limber them up ahead of time. Thanks for saving me having to learn that one the hard way.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:31 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

One difference between the two shocks is amount of rotation of the shaft. There is a "stop" molded into the gear at the top of the shaft.

This pic is from the Captain Z cnc website. He rebuilds actuators for the FX3 and Ferrari systems.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:27 PM
C4ProjectCar
Drifting

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
One difference between the two shocks is amount of rotation of the shaft. There is a "stop" molded into the gear at the top of the shaft.

This pic is from the Captain Z cnc website. He rebuilds actuators for the FX3 and Ferrari systems.
Thanks, I didn't know that!
I just checked and mine have the shorter stop on them.

Bilstein said you can reuse the old bushings, even though they don't quite match the upper shock, and that the difference in height is not a problem. That being said, I'll probably replace the bushings anyway just as preventative maintenance.

I just ordered the front bushings from Eckler's. The rear ones are only available at two places, and I'm not sure they are even the right bushings.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:26 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,263 Likes on 2,026 Posts

Originally Posted by C4ProjectCar
I just ordered the front bushings from Eckler's. The rear ones are only available at two places, and I'm not sure they are even the right bushings.
Eckler's I thought only had the uppers. Do they actually have both?
Old 10-20-2014, 06:29 PM
C4ProjectCar
Drifting

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Eckler's I thought only had the uppers. Do they actually have both?
I'm not sure, but I believe my new shocks came with the lower bushings. You can see the bushing in the picture from my first post on the bottom end of the shock.

Get notified of new replies

To Wrong FX3 Shocks?

Quick Reply: Wrong FX3 Shocks?