C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

93 Corvette Speedo not showing any numbers.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 09:13 PM
corvettesforevor
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 Corvette Speedo not showing any numbers.

So on my 93 c4, the orange area where it shows speed gas, etc, is not showing any numbers. It was working fine last night but when I started it today the orange screen is blank. The screen is still lit up orange but there are no numbers on it... Can anyone help?
thanks
Old 10-20-2014, 09:18 PM
FrankieD
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 75 Posts

Is the fuel gauge or Odometer reading showing?
Old 10-21-2014, 05:07 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

All of the display is controlled by the CCM I believe and is supplied to the IP via the DIC, I'd check the LCD fuse, the CCM fuse and if all fuses are fine then I'd suspect maybe the connection at the IP from DIC. I believe a NO DATA display hints at a grounding issue.

Shine a very bright light into the DIC sensor, maybe your issue is just the light sensor.

Do you have the FSM for your car?

Have you worked on the cluster, the DIC or been into the dash/IP wiring recently?

I just stumbled upon this thread where you mention "HAS ISSUES" but this post made earlier mentions "WORKING FINE" - which is it? I assume it's the same car.

"FrankieD" asks a good question, you mention "speedo" (in title) but then you seem to imply the complete LCD isn't working. What is actually NOT displaying? Maybe better question is, what IS displayed?

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1588085644

Good luck with the fix.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 10-21-2014 at 10:21 AM.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:07 PM
Bandit's C4
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Central PA Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Gently tap the top of the dash.... does the display blink?
If so... many times it is a continuity issue within a combination of variables.
- The panel itself, the harness junction behind the panel, or a broken contact behind the harness.

Been there, done that.
Old 10-21-2014, 11:57 PM
corvettesforevor
Instructor

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
All of the display is controlled by the CCM I believe and is supplied to the IP via the DIC, I'd check the LCD fuse, the CCM fuse and if all fuses are fine then I'd suspect maybe the connection at the IP from DIC. I believe a NO DATA display hints at a grounding issue.

Shine a very bright light into the DIC sensor, maybe your issue is just the light sensor.

Do you have the FSM for your car?

Have you worked on the cluster, the DIC or been into the dash/IP wiring recently?

I just stumbled upon this thread where you mention "HAS ISSUES" but this post made earlier mentions "WORKING FINE" - which is it? I assume it's the same car.

"FrankieD" asks a good question, you mention "speedo" (in title) but then you seem to imply the complete LCD isn't working. What is actually NOT displaying? Maybe better question is, what IS displayed?

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1588085644

Good luck with the fix.
The entire orange screen is displaying notthing, it is lit up orange but there are no numbers or anything on it whatsoever. It the numbers came back on this morning but they went away again tonight. Loose connection or somthing...??
Old 10-23-2014, 08:32 AM
FrankieD
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 75 Posts

I would start by removing the gauge cluster and having a look at the connections in behind
Old 10-23-2014, 11:23 AM
QZRBLU
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by corvettesforevor
So on my 93 c4, the orange area where it shows speed gas, etc, is not showing any numbers. It was working fine last night but when I started it today the orange screen is blank. The screen is still lit up orange but there are no numbers on it... Can anyone help?
thanks
Remove the cluster assembly and re-solder all the LCD socket connections. I recently fixed a friends' '92 that had this problem. Using a magnifying glass, I found two cracked solder joints. I re-soldered them all with a fine point 25Watt iron. Get someone who knows how to solder on electronic circuit boards if you don't have the confidence.

Mick
Old 10-27-2014, 10:35 PM
corvettesforevor
Instructor

It seems to keep comming on and off. One day all the numbers will be there the next the screen will just be blank orange.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:30 AM
QZRBLU
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by corvettesforevor
It seems to keep comming on and off. One day all the numbers will be there the next the screen will just be blank orange.
Tyler,
Those symptoms sound just like a bad solder joint, heating and cooling and working, and not working. Did you attempt to resolder the pins on the circuit board?

Mick

Last edited by QZRBLU; 10-28-2014 at 12:48 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 93 Corvette Speedo not showing any numbers.

Quick Reply: 93 Corvette Speedo not showing any numbers.