C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Opinions - Advanced Induction or Lloyd Elliott

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 07:16 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,932 Posts

Originally Posted by Wheel Stander
How could a comparison of "reworked" vs "stock" possibly be apples to apples???

I don't know hence the question to Geardo
Old 10-23-2014, 07:48 PM
Wheel Stander
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
I don't know hence the question to Geardo
My point is that "reworked" vs "stock" is NOT an apples-to-apples comparison, nor need it be so. Geardo clearly is saying that having my Trick Flows reworked by LE would be better than using out-of-the-box AFR heads. What would YOU consider to be a valid apples-to-apples comparison?
Old 10-23-2014, 07:49 PM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by Geardo
The LE reworked trick Flows will blow away the stock AFR's
..... Which stock AFR's ??? ...............
Old 10-23-2014, 08:08 PM
Wheel Stander
Racer

Originally Posted by C409
..... Which stock AFR's ??? ...............
Valid question, but I assume he is referring to AFR's 195cc heads as they come closest to the Trick Flow 185's. It would be helpful if AFR's website provided information explaining the difference between their "race ready" and "competition package" heads. I couldn't find anything showing whether you're paying strictly for additional machine work, or if the comp package also includes upgraded components. My TF's were basically a starter kit ... assembled heads, cam, gaskets, push rods, roller rockers, bolts, etc. for less than $2500. A cheap way to reel in a new customer. Now that I am officially addicted, the dealer wants me to pay more for the good stuff.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:12 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,932 Posts

My point is that "reworked" vs "stock" is NOT an apples-to-apples comparison, nor need it be so. Geardo clearly is saying that having my Trick Flows reworked by LE would be better than using out-of-the-box AFR heads. What would YOU consider to be a valid apples-to-apples comparison?
Stock TFS vs stock AFR or maxed out TFS vs maxed out AFR.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:01 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

The 195 AFR comp port is an awfully stout head size for size dont see it real easy for another that size to compare to it. You can order it with HR or SR springs.
Maybe ask tpi421vette what he could set you up in a head like that $$ wise. The 210 comp port would be my choice. Either being a hit really -

What info is around that could convince one a worked tfs is better?
Any data on them, port size features etc? Always nice to compare.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:41 AM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

Valid question, but I assume he is referring to AFR's 195cc heads as they come closest to the Trick Flow 185's. It would be helpful if AFR's website provided information explaining the difference between their "race ready" and "competition package" heads. I couldn't find anything showing whether you're paying strictly for additional machine work, or if the comp package also includes upgraded components. My TF's were basically a starter kit ... assembled heads, cam, gaskets, push rods, roller rockers, bolts, etc. for less than $2500. A cheap way to reel in a new customer. Now that I am officially addicted, the dealer wants me to pay more for the good stuff.

..... My point is : why port your 185's to a 195 when you can buy new 195's for what you will invest just in the porting ??? Buy the 195's and sell the 185's and you just recovered 2/3 of the investment ...... And consider this , you might be better off with 210's anyway ... get the heads that compliment the entire build with some room for expanding the limits down the road rather than spending a ton on forcing the smaller heads to perform . Ported heads aren't as easy to sell because of the extreme difference in price over large out of the box heads ... CNC machining has changed the game a lot ...........
Old 10-24-2014, 06:50 PM
tpi 421 vette
Melting Slicks

Received 115 Likes on 67 Posts

The AFR comp port heads generally flow 12-28 cfm more than the entry level Street heads. They also have finer cnc finish, and will come standard with upgraded premium springs that handle more lift (180&195's). 210 and bigger heads come standard with solid roller springs.
If you are going to compare a ported head to a AFR head, you need to compare the port volume size after porting. I have seen LE take a 195cc LT4 head and the port volume was over 240cc's when he was done.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:45 PM
Wheel Stander
Racer

tpi_421_vette .... So who do you suggest I go with? LE, AFR or AI?
Old 10-27-2014, 07:16 PM
96 lt-4
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

How long ago did this happen?
It was probably 4 years ago.

Do what you think is best for you.Use what you have as is or with a good valve job and some minor porting.See what that gives you.If you are happy then you saved a ton of money.If not sell them and upgrade later.That is the only way you will truly know which is better.

It is easy to over analyze this stuff.All will give good torque and power.Which one depends on a lot of factors including cam and compression.

Build the best bottom end you can afford.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:08 PM
rklessdriver
Safety Car

Received 397 Likes on 261 Posts

Have you seen this thread?

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/2414654-afr-heads-vs-tfs-heads-results-within-long.html

Will
Old 10-27-2014, 10:32 PM
Wheel Stander
Racer

Originally Posted by 96 lt-4
It was probably 4 years ago.

Do what you think is best for you.Use what you have as is or with a good valve job and some minor porting.See what that gives you.If you are happy then you saved a ton of money.If not sell them and upgrade later.That is the only way you will truly know which is better.

It is easy to over analyze this stuff.All will give good torque and power.Which one depends on a lot of factors including cam and compression.

Build the best bottom end you can afford.
Money factors aside, there certainly are options available that might ultimately perform better than simply having my Trick Flow heads ported. However, since those heads have less than 750 street miles on them AND, if I were to sell them now they would probably only bring 50% of what I paid for them, they originally cost, it's hard to argue your point. That is, spend a nominal amount of money to have the TFs (and my stock LT-1 intake ported) and see how it works out.

LE recently quoted me a price of $900 to port both the heads and intake. If it turns out that reworked TFs aren't doing the job, it's not a tremendous financial loss ... after all, it's a given that this hobby of ours costs money. But if I ultimately dump the TFs, I'll probably go to a customized head/cam combo from Advanced Induction.

I'm not cutting corners on the motor's bottom end .... the machine work for the block will include CNC blueprinting, surfacing, cylinder boring, lifter bore machining, align honing mains, balance rotating assembly, block decking, stroker crank clearance, etc. The parts will also be top-shelf stuff ... Callies Dragon Slayer crank, CompStar H-beam rods, Mahle or Ross pistons, Mahle file-fit rings, Cloyes dual roller timing set, Clevite bearings, Melling oil pump, etc.

Spending money is fun .... spending MORE money is MORE fun!!!

Old 11-17-2014, 05:18 PM
Snidely Whiplash
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm very fortunate to live about 15 miles from Reher-Morrison.

Quick Reply: Opinions - Advanced Induction or Lloyd Elliott