C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

84 Wiper Motor Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 07:50 AM
70chev
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 84 Wiper Motor Problems

Hi guys,

Hoping you can help me. I'm having issues with the wiper motor in my 84. I've just bought the car and the wipers only appear to work when the switch is pushed to the fastest setting. That's not the issue I need advice on just yet. Besides that, the wiper arms only go a partial way up the screen then back down, then partially up, then down.

So I pulled the wiper grill off the cowl and saw that the bracket to which the arms are fixed was moving but let me try to describe how.

The circular part of the motor that holds the pin that drives the arms (this part, I've removed the rubber cover) Name:  Wiper 3.jpg
Views: 667
Size:  34.2 KBwas rotating 360 degrees as it should. However, this pin Name:  Wiper 4.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  41.4 KBwas not driving the blades all of the way as it was rotating within the central turning assembly, basically staying still. It appears that it would only drive the blades if the pin didn't spin within that assembly. That is, when the assembly spins, that pin should rotate with it through 360 degrees. But it was staying at the same orientation, not driving the bracket. I could see it wanted to lock up and could hear it clicking as it was trying to lock up, but would slip and not be able to drive the bracket all of the way through 360 degrees.

Wow, this is difficult to describe, but I think I've done the best I can. I want to try to find a way to disassemble this part of the motor, but can't see how it is done. Is there some way to disassemble this part of the wiper motor? Name:  Wiper 5.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  40.8 KBNo, I don't yet have an FSM.

Can someone describe whether this is a common problem with these, can it be fixed and if so, how? Happy to provide any extra info if needed. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Darren
Attached Images  
Old 10-21-2014, 12:43 PM
ccrazor
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Not sure if this will help but its the closest I have.. Page 6 shows a break down of the motor. Its for an 86 but they s/b the same or similar..

http://willcoxcorvette.com/instructi...P_MAN_1986.pdf

Old 10-21-2014, 07:46 PM
70chev
Advanced

Originally Posted by ccrazor
Not sure if this will help but its the closest I have.. Page 6 shows a break down of the motor. Its for an 86 but they s/b the same or similar..

http://willcoxcorvette.com/instructi...P_MAN_1986.pdf

Thanks CCRAZOR. That is perfect. I'll have another look tonight. Now, I'm not a jedi with auto electrics but that section gives me all I need to have a go. Thanks again.

Darren
Old 10-21-2014, 09:42 PM
70chev
Advanced

Default I might be a moron.

Thanks again to CCRAZOR for the diagram and content. So, I've read through the material, and I might be a moron, but can someone describe how the shaft is removed from the motor. I can see you have to remove the cover which holds the circuit board etc, but can't actually see or read what needs to be done to disassemble the assembly from there. Any help would be appreciated. If I manage to get it, I'll take photos and repost.

Thanks

Darren
Old 10-22-2014, 01:32 AM
ccrazor
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

After looking at an old wiper motor I have, I don't think you need to take that all apart, for it to do a complete rotation the pawl and spring assembly has to set properly in the notch in the white gear.

Old 10-22-2014, 01:35 AM
70chev
Advanced

Originally Posted by ccrazor
After looking at an old wiper motor I have, I don't think you need to take that all apart, for it to do a complete rotation the pawl and spring assembly has to set properly in the notch in the white gear.

Thanks again RAZOR, but I'm not sure I understand. Which white gear are you referring to and how do I access and check this. Is it under the wiper cover and what am i actually looking for. I'll have another look when I get home tonight. Sorry for the continuing questions, but I want to make sure I can fix this if possible and don't want to destroy it.

Thanks again.

Darren
Old 10-22-2014, 01:52 AM
ccrazor
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

The large white gear under the top cover, the pawl and spring assembly are attached to the drive plate and shaft assembly. If they don't fit together properly the motor will turn the white gear but not the shaft assembly..

Old 02-10-2015, 10:01 PM
zomeizter
6th Gear

Dudes, I have been driven crazy for a while now by this exact wiper issue and I believe I have found the culprit, a defective park switch in the housing is causing this. On the lookout for one, will report findings when I replace it, good luck...
Old 02-11-2015, 01:14 AM
70chev
Advanced

Default Yep, could be the connection to the park switch

I purchased a new wiper motor and installed it. It seemed to do the same thing until I brushed my hand against the point where the wires plug into the park switch. It must have made some sort of connection and the wipers worked properly. I unplugged it again, greased the connections and tightened them up so they would bite into the contacts on the park switch better and it works just fine.

Might be worth checking the connection to the park switch.

Darren

Get notified of new replies

To 84 Wiper Motor Problems

Quick Reply: 84 Wiper Motor Problems