C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

84 Oil Pressure Switch 2 Wire

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 04:12 PM
GQ-ROD
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 84 Oil Pressure Switch 2 Wire

Just wanted to give those of you with an 84 a heads up.

Advance auto parts, autozone, and oreilly's does not list the 2 wire oil pressure switch for an 1984, so you will have to look it up using the 1985 model year.

They do list the 1 wire sendor.Got both the switch 2 wire and the sendor 1 wire bwd brand from oreilly's in stock. (couldn't wait a week to ten days to get the acdelco versions. )

2 wire switch part number

old 2 wire oil pressure switch

1 wire oil pressure sendor

1 wire oil pressure sendor part number

The replacement went without a hitch, a couple of long wrenches, and a short adjustable wrench and a deep 1 1/16" socket with a wobble adapter and all you have to do is remove the air cleaner and the distributor cap, wires attached, set it aside. You may have to remove the tach filter to gain a little more space as well.

Then break loose and remove each sensor, and the parts they mount to.

Cleaned all the threads meticulously to ensure i would not strip the fine threads upon re-installing.

Torqued them all using a beam inch pound torque wrench.

I used yellow teflon tape on the 2 parts the sensors mount to since it's oil and gas resistant.

The new sensors already have sealant on them no tape needed there.

Still have to use UV dye to see if any oil is leaking from the lower intake manifold.

But it's not as difficult as it may look considering the tight space.

Oil pressure is now a steady 49 pounds at idle cold, hot it's 43 pounds.

No fluctuation to zero.

Hope this helps, and don't forget to wave !

Yellow teflon tape, oil and gasoline resistant.

Last edited by GQ-ROD; 10-27-2014 at 10:42 AM.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:28 PM
GQ-ROD
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

UPDATE:

Used the following uv dye for auto oil, test drove the car to get it up to operating temperature, jacked it up, used the uv flashlight and uv yellow glasses, and found NO oil leak. NONE, ZIPPO, NADA, ZILCH.

I'M SHOCKED !!!!!!!!!! and couldn't be happier this repair worked out so well.

I thought for a minute with all the oil on the back of the engine that the intake manifold would have to come out. Luckily it doesn't !!!

So a fresh oil/filter change and another major engine cleaning to get all the remainder of the old oil from the leak cleaned out ! adn this is done!

Quick Reply: 84 Oil Pressure Switch 2 Wire