C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

To Add or Not to Add 134

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 08:53 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

Default To Add or Not to Add 134

What a ride.
Had the car running last week and noticed the low pressure A/C lines and accumulator was starting to ice up. Connected my gauges and measured the it was cycling down at 15 psi and reconnecting under 40 psi. OK the switch is bad and was still under warranty so getting another one should fix it and that would be end of story, or no story at all.

Got the new switch and as I screwed it on a tremendous whoosh of Freon came out for a few seconds. I removed it and tried the old O-ring but the same. Put the new O-ring back on with no improvement. Thinking it had to be me, I screwed it back on because I needed to find the leak as it was really coming out. I felt the Freon coming out from the middle of the new switch were the plastic meets the metal (crimp).

So I called up to get another switch and no other same chain store in my area had one. So now I have a vette with no A/C. I quickly ran back to the store and got my old part back and gave them the new one back and just left disgusted. Put it back on the car so at least I am functional now again.

Ordered a switch from another store and picked it up today. But this time I went down to the store with tools and my gauges. Did the install in the parking lot to avoid another 3 ring circus. Checked the pressures which were just fine, I'm fixed and I left.

So now things are working normal but I did lose a bunch of gas. I can tell it probably needs a light shot but hate to open another can at the end of the season and use maybe 20% or so. Kind of on the fence with adding, need to run the car some and see.

I will probably watch it for now as I do have a monitor in the car where I can tell when the compressor cycles. I guess next time I take a trip I will look for reduced air flow or ice on the pipes.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:08 PM
JC316
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Not like it's expensive. Just add some. If you have a decent valve for the can, it should hold till next season.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:20 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

A can of freon is not even half a tank of gas. You shouldn't have to think about it too long.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:41 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Not really a money thing but I knew the comments were coming . I just finished off a can a week ago I have had for a while with the vette and another car. Just was holding off before I popped another can. Probably still going to watch the A/C for the next ride or 2.

Last edited by pcolt94; 10-22-2014 at 10:46 PM.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:03 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

One thing the A/C does is to help de-humidify the interior when you use the Defrost side of the system. Even with using a higher temp selection, the A/C is working in Defrost mode.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:39 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 624 Likes on 486 Posts

I found 134 on sale for $4 per can and got a bunch of it. I still hesitate to open a new can too, but at these prices, if the car needs it, it gets it. Who cares if a little is wasted.

Last year I used a cheap one gage/one line filler to add instead of my normal gages. I just added a little, but I left the can hooked up to the cheapie hose since it was over half full.

To my surprise, this summer there was still 134 left in the can and I used it again for another car.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:19 AM
Churchkey
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Frost on the suction line & accumulator = normal.

You need to check the system operating pressure to determine if Freon is needed.

Vehicle in shade, interior at ambient temp.
ATC @ 60*, recirculate, blower @ #10, doors & windows closed.
Jump the low pressure switch connector with a paper clip or jumper wire.
Engine running 1500/1800 rpm.
If you have a box fan place it front of the car.
Run this set up for 5 minutes then check pressure. Low side 28 to 34 depending on ambient temp + air flow across the condenser. If less than 28 add Freon.
Good luck.
Wish I had an AC problem at this time of year it was 39* here last night.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:36 PM
JC316
Racer

Originally Posted by QCVette
I found 134 on sale for $4 per can and got a bunch of it. I still hesitate to open a new can too, but at these prices, if the car needs it, it gets it. Who cares if a little is wasted.

Last year I used a cheap one gage/one line filler to add instead of my normal gages. I just added a little, but I left the can hooked up to the cheapie hose since it was over half full.

To my surprise, this summer there was still 134 left in the can and I used it again for another car.
$4 a can is a great price. I buy mine by the 30lbs jug and I only pay a little less than that.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:16 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

This thread getting more play than I expected as I was just venting a slight amount due to the running around. But there's some good information that has come out of it. I too have thought about buying my 134 in the larger "Costco" size also.

Originally Posted by Churchkey
Frost on the suction line & accumulator = normal.

You need to check the system operating pressure to determine if Freon is needed.

Vehicle in shade, interior at ambient temp.
ATC @ 60*, recirculate, blower @ #10, doors & windows closed.
Jump the low pressure switch connector with a paper clip or jumper wire.
Engine running 1500/1800 rpm.
If you have a box fan place it front of the car.
Run this set up for 5 minutes then check pressure. Low side 28 to 34 depending on ambient temp + air flow across the condenser. If less than 28 add Freon.
Good luck.
Wish I had an AC problem at this time of year it was 39* here last night.
So this test looked like some fun so I thought I'd try it.
Car says 76*
Static pressure 80
Set up test as instructed, external fan running and both left and right fan on car running.
Started car, checked gauge for first look and was down at 18.
Set engine to proper RPM for test.
Within a minute it was down to 15. Watched it a bit more then shut it all down.
It was cold in the cabin and pipes were turning white.

Guess according to your test I need Freon.
Still in the solid upper 80s here. Just glad to be out of the 90s recently.

Last edited by pcolt94; 10-23-2014 at 04:18 PM.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:48 AM
Churchkey
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

The ATC system runs the compressor at all times unless heat or vent is selected. Cabin temp is determined by the temperature blend door blending AC & hot air for the cabin temperature selected.

If your ATC compressor is cycling on/off the system is low on Freon.

Suggest the procedure outlined in post 7, fill to 28*.
Good luck.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:19 AM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by pcolt94
Still in the solid upper 80s here. Just glad to be out of the 90s recently.

Supposed to be chilly (40* in NEFL)this weekend so hopefully the really hot stuff is done. I barely sweated yesterday at work!!!
Old 10-24-2014, 10:29 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by QCVette

$4/can. That's great. In California because of all the environmental taxes, freon runs about $25-30/can.
Old 10-24-2014, 01:21 PM
JC316
Racer

Originally Posted by 383vett
$4/can. That's great. In California because of all the environmental taxes, freon runs about $25-30/can.
Holy crap! I pay $100 for what amounts to 40 cans.

Get notified of new replies

To To Add or Not to Add 134

Quick Reply: To Add or Not to Add 134