C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

ECM options On a 92???

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 08:57 PM
smooth1990
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default ECM options On a 92???

I am thinking about trying to go to a FAST ECM or another brand computer. Who has done it? How hard is it? I need something a little better than the dinosaur I have in the car now. LT1 OBD1 tuners are getting hard to come by.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:30 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

DUB
Old 10-24-2014, 10:55 AM
tombrammer
Pro

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Is your car an LT1? I am currently doing a Holley HP swap in my 93 LT1. The big problem is the opti. If you want to remove it completely and go with DIS ignition then it's pretty straight forward. It's a lot of money though. What balancer do you have, stock or aftermarket? If you ditch the opti you will need to go with a crank trigger or the EFI connection setup for the cam and crank signals. There is also a guy (Lane Culver http://www.culverautospecialties.com/) who makes a replacement opti disc that is supposed to work with the Holley EFI ECM. I have no experience with it though.
Old 10-24-2014, 02:02 PM
rklessdriver
Safety Car

Received 399 Likes on 262 Posts

I have seen Mega Squirt, Accel DFI and FAST have all be used on 92-93 Corvettes with sucess.

Of course there are the EFI Connection 24X kits.....

Really you should decide first if you want to keep the Optispark fully functional.... use it only as a trigger or do away with it completely and use a rear dizzy, wasted spark coil packs or individual coil packs.

I know what your going thru.... 92-93 ECM is a POS and people that can tune them are few and far between. I hate mine but it's tough to change once you have already put $$$ and time into running with it.
Will
Old 10-24-2014, 03:49 PM
bjankuski
Safety Car

Received 465 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by smooth1990
I am thinking about trying to go to a FAST ECM or another brand computer. Who has done it? How hard is it? I need something a little better than the dinosaur I have in the car now. LT1 OBD1 tuners are getting hard to come by.
Honestly, the factory ECM is not that hard to tune. If you can tune a FAST system you can get the factory system tuned.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:14 PM
smooth1990
Drifting

Originally Posted by tombrammer
Is your car an LT1? I am currently doing a Holley HP swap in my 93 LT1. The big problem is the opti. If you want to remove it completely and go with DIS ignition then it's pretty straight forward. It's a lot of money though. What balancer do you have, stock or aftermarket? If you ditch the opti you will need to go with a crank trigger or the EFI connection setup for the cam and crank signals. There is also a guy (Lane Culver http://www.culverautospecialties.com/) who makes a replacement opti disc that is supposed to work with the Holley EFI ECM. I have no experience with it though.
I have used the LTCC kit and that triggers off the low side of the opti only. I will say this, for my setup that was a great way to get the ignition I needed under high cylinder pressures but I didnt like it because of a failure I had with it and the diagnosis it took to figure oout what the exact problem was. It seemed to compound the whole ignition system and instead of 3 things to consider, I had 12 possible causes to a single misire issue. It turned out to be the LTCC box itself.

Originally Posted by rklessdriver
I have seen Mega Squirt, Accel DFI and FAST have all be used on 92-93 Corvettes with sucess.

Of course there are the EFI Connection 24X kits.....

Really you should decide first if you want to keep the Optispark fully functional.... use it only as a trigger or do away with it completely and use a rear dizzy, wasted spark coil packs or individual coil packs.

I know what your going thru.... 92-93 ECM is a POS and people that can tune them are few and far between. I hate mine but it's tough to change once you have already put $$$ and time into running with it.
Will
I thought about the 24x but from what I understand, its a pain in the *** to get everything in the car to work correctly. I havent looked into the fast or megasquirt yet. I bet its a pain to get it all to work with the electronics in the car huh?

Originally Posted by bjankuski
Honestly, the factory ECM is not that hard to tune. If you can tune a FAST system you can get the factory system tuned.
I am learning how to tune my car with tunercat and datamaster using a ostrich but It took me all summer and I cant get the VE tables quite right! Bjankuski- dont you live near me in wisconsin?
Old 10-28-2014, 10:48 PM
bjankuski
Safety Car

I am learning how to tune my car with tunercat and datamaster using a ostrich but It took me all summer and I cant get the VE tables quite right! Bjankuski- dont you live near me in wisconsin?
I do live in Wisconsin, near Sheboygan, where do you live? I could help you out if you would like some help.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:54 PM
smooth1990
Drifting

Originally Posted by bjankuski
I do live in Wisconsin, near Sheboygan, where do you live? I could help you out if you would like some help.
Im in antigo. About a hour west of greenbay.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:03 PM
bjankuski
Safety Car

Im in antigo. About a hour west of greenbay.
I am available send me a PM if you would like and I can send you my contact info.

Get notified of new replies

To ECM options On a 92???

Quick Reply: ECM options On a 92???