C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Starters & Headers...To wrap or not to wrap?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 12:54 AM
austinseanchris
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Starters & Headers...To wrap or not to wrap?

So...I've spent about the last 2 hours reading the forums about people wrapping or not wrapping their starters.

Long story short, I was going down the road the other night and started smelling something burning...oh SH**, right?!? So, I pop the hood to see smoke coming from under the hood...always a good sign, I know. Nonetheless, the starter wrap shield was lying right on the headers and you could see where the foil material was getting burned.

I will tell you the car has the 2149 Hooker headers that are just the regular black tubes. To be honest, when I do drive the car, its maybe 10 miles at a time. This last Friday night when I took it out, I went on an extended road trip and drove her about 20 miles...went all out huh? So, I saw it was the header wrap and drove it home. Tonight I went outside to see what the situation was and I decided to remove the shield. Talk about a PITA taking it off...I can only imagine putting it on.

I didnt put it on before...when I had the motor out putting heads, the cam, headers, etc on it, thats when they wrapped it. So, obviously we all know how close the starter is to the header. Ive read people saying dont wrap it b/c it keeps the heat in and just leave it open to breathe, others saying to wrap it to keep it from frying, and others saying to just wrap the headers. I will say that is not an option b/c it is a show car and wrapped headers aint gonna cut it. Lets be honest, wrapped headers arent usually show quality. Drag or race car, sure...trailer queen, aint happenin'.

So with all this said, I'd like to hear everyone opinion to see if theres some options I havent thought about. Thanks!
Old 10-24-2014, 01:13 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

I installed an insulated sheet metal heat shield on my starter, that allows air to circulate around the starter, but blocks the radiated heat from the exhaust. Looks good, works fine, and is an available part for Delco starters. Wouldn't be hard to make if you've got one of those fancy high-torque starters. You'll appreciate an added plug on the starter wiring, to make installation and removal easier.

I agree, the insulated wrap isn't much help.

Old 10-24-2014, 03:00 AM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

Received 281 Likes on 216 Posts

I compromised and just wrapped the sections on each pipe that go past the starter and other wiring at that location.

Old 10-24-2014, 10:31 AM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I would never wrap anything. I would just get the headers recoated to help with the heat.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:52 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

When I got my Hedman Elites, the warranty page said that if I used any wrap on the headers, it would void the warranty.

It's possible that header wrap could hold moisture and eventually that could cause rust to form

I would suggest removing the headers and have a coating installed. I think Jet-Hot is still around and I remember that they did good work.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:26 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Not a fan of that header wrapped if it gets oil soaked no bueno

Even with mini starters I use that Heat shield stuff from Summit wiht the stainless clamps. One no start is too many. Takes 20 min to cut up and put on.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:37 PM
KYC4
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 39 Posts

Pass on the wrap. Over a few years time it will trap and hold in any water/condensation. Get your headers coated and add that heat shield to your starter for sure.

Later,

Lee
Old 10-24-2014, 08:34 PM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

I ran a set of wrapped headers AND painted them with the paint made for that purpose, for many years. All the hooha I heard about "crystallized headers" and such was untrue. When I removed them for this engine, and unwrapped them, they were fine... BUT

I'll never again employ headers that are not hot coated, hopefully inside and out. It's cleaner and looks better, much longer. The wrap did improve seat-of-the-pants-measured header efficacy, quite noticibly.

I have a starter blanket that worked so well, it's been in a garage cabinet, looking like new, since about 20 minutes after I installed (un) it. It excelled at keeping the mini-starter hot!
Old 10-25-2014, 02:48 AM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

Received 281 Likes on 216 Posts

in the photo below you can see how the wrap does affect the metal of the pipes, but Im willing to accept that to keep the heat away from the starter and the wiring looms at that location.

BTW running those headers unwrapped have already cost me a brake booster too !

Old 10-25-2014, 08:57 AM
carguyinok
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

IMO from personal experience the use of header wrap can really help. But like anything else that will depend on if it's installed correctly. If you leave the headers on the engine & attempt installing the wrap. Well, odd's are great that your going to end up with a half *** job that's going to end up as a waste of time & money.
But, if you truly take the time for removing the headers & wrapping them in the correct manor, along with securing it correctly. It will be worth while and give the results your looking for.
On the down side your going to be dealing with the burn in smell for awhile & as stated above use caution when dealing with fluids that could drip or spill on your wrapped headers.
Old 10-25-2014, 01:14 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Rule of thumb is that coated headers can be wrapped. Uncoated headers will fail prematurely if wrapped.
Old 10-25-2014, 03:34 PM
pushrod-v8
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

With my old '85 I ran jet hot coated hooker 2149 headers and a mini starter. No wrap and! no problems.

Good luck!

Get notified of new replies

To Starters & Headers...To wrap or not to wrap?

Quick Reply: Starters & Headers...To wrap or not to wrap?