C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

turn signals

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 09:36 PM
playsdixie
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
Default turn signals

just today on my 85 the left turn signal goes on, doesn't blink...rt is normal.....don't see any bulbs out on the left....can't belive there are two flashers.....before I start reading the FSM thought someone might know....
Old 10-25-2014, 09:59 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

Originally Posted by playsdixie
just today on my 85 the left turn signal goes on, doesn't blink...rt is normal.....don't see any bulbs out on the left....can't belive there are two flashers.....before I start reading the FSM thought someone might know....
What happens when you use the "HAZARDS"?
Old 10-25-2014, 10:40 PM
GQ-ROD
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Weird, since my 84 does this intermittently.

There is only one flasher unit, maybe there are 2 flasher circuits inside the one unit, don't know so don't flame me!! lol

I have to check the connection since the metal spring inside the plug may not be making contact.

Same thing happened with the front right headlamp plug, the tang inside the plug was not making contact, i bent it out using a sharp pick and wa-la no more problem.

Check your connection with a test light at the plug, if you have juice, then the tang in the plug is not making proper contact with the bulb tang.

Last edited by GQ-ROD; 10-25-2014 at 10:43 PM.
Old 10-26-2014, 03:18 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

There are two flashers. The regular turn signal flasher is under the dash on the passenger side. The emergency flasher is inside the center cluster.

Sometimes you can get your symptom if the filaments inside a bulb are shorted together. That happens after one breaks and touches the other filament.
Old 10-26-2014, 11:05 AM
playsdixie
Drifting

Just went out and tried the 4 way flashers....the inside light on the left side doesn't work...although is does come on with the head light switch....
wierd since the inside lights don't come on with the turn signals...do I neede a bulb or a priest???..any quick way to gain access??/.
Old 10-26-2014, 11:29 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Just went out and tried the 4 way flashers....the inside light on the left side doesn't work...although is does come on with the head light switch....
wierd since the inside lights don't come on with the turn signals...do I neede a bulb or a priest???..any quick way to gain access??/.
All 4 rear lights should flash with the Hazards on. Both lamps on a side will flash with the turns signals. All 4 lamps will come on when the brake pedal is depressed (try with the ignition switch to ON). Replace the bulb (1157) and test again. Remove the license plate, then the backup lamp housing. Then you can reach thru that opening and pull out the bulb holder. There will be a small tab you have to depress before you can turn the holder. You can also use a 10mm socket to remove the two nuts that hold the entire housing to the facia.

The rear bulbs have two filaments; one for tail lamps and the other for brake/turn. But having only one brake/turn bulb out the flasher should flash faster than normal. Have you also checked the front turn lights??

It's also possible that the bulb socket contacts are corroded and not making contact with the bulb ends.
Old 10-26-2014, 11:44 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

Seize the opportunity to clean "ALL" of your exterior lamp sockets and maybe just replace all of the bulbs while you're doing that. Since your problem is left side if you wanted you could start with only the left side sockets for park, stop and turn, three sockets to clean, confirm and three bulbs.
Old 10-26-2014, 01:08 PM
playsdixie
Drifting

very good advice....0n my way to auto store for a new set of bulbs all the way across...no sense changing 1 bulb on a 85....
Old 10-26-2014, 05:56 PM
playsdixie
Drifting

here's an update....got 4 2057's removed the plate/backup lites...NO WAY can a adult arm reach back there!!!!! The better half can reach it but couldn't press the tab to get it out....after several tries, the light started working so all is well temporarily......got to find some guy with skinny arms for another try....

Get notified of new replies

To turn signals

Quick Reply: turn signals