C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

c4 tank with no bladder?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 06:06 PM
turbocvette
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default c4 tank with no bladder?

wanting to weld a an fitting to the tank for my project. Can I remove the bladder and run gas without any issues? Any help would be great!!
Old 10-30-2014, 08:21 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Gotta go from the top. The bladder is one piece thick rubber piece that is not flexable and will not fit out the top. I'm not sure how fuelproof the tank would be without a bladder.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:27 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 438 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by 383vett
Gotta go from the top. The bladder is one piece thick rubber piece that is not flexable and will not fit out the top. I'm not sure how fuelproof the tank would be without a bladder.

I wouldn't remove the bladder as far as I know and pretty sure its there as a extra layer of protection. lets face it though these cars are tough and can take a hit there's not much between you and the immovable object that just hit you or you slid into.

remember the gas tank is only inches behind the spare tire mount on a sub frame held by a 1/2 dozen not so big bolts all wrapped in a plastic bumper.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:36 PM
383vett
Race Director

Originally Posted by s carter
I wouldn't remove the bladder as far as I know and pretty sure its there as a extra layer of protection. lets face it though these cars are tough and can take a hit there's not much between you and the immovable object that just hit you or you slid into.

remember the gas tank is only inches behind the spare tire mount on a sub frame held by a 1/2 dozen not so big bolts all wrapped in a plastic bumper.
What I was saying is that the op has to access the tank from the top with a pickup reaching the bottom of the tank. I assume he is trying to weld a pickup bung on the bottom which won't work. The tank is not bolted to the subframe. It is held in place by straps. Here is a picture of my tank that I sectioned in 3 pieces in order to install a fuel cell. You can see the black fuel bladder inside.

Old 11-01-2014, 12:16 AM
turbocvette
Instructor

wish I could see the pics of your fuel cell mounted up. I have a fuel cell and was going to mount it inside the hatch area. But yes I was going to weld a bung on the bottom of the tank just for a cleaner look. I would like to run the cell underneath but not sure how I will plumb a filler neck to it? For some reason I cant see your pics.
Old 11-01-2014, 01:03 AM
383vett
Race Director

You definitely don't want to mount the fuel cell in the hatch area. It can fry you quickly. Here are a couple of pictures of my fuel cell. It is only 5 gallons for the strip. I access the fuel cell filler through the C4 rear deck gas hatch. Try another computer.

Old 11-01-2014, 04:48 PM
turbocvette
Instructor

I can see them now thanks!! idk if I will see my cell cap from the door but il try and see what it looks like.

Get notified of new replies

To c4 tank with no bladder?

Quick Reply: c4 tank with no bladder?