C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Weatherstrip Vendor won't answer

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 10:40 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Default Weatherstrip Vendor won't answer

Bought weatherstrip from probably the most popular vender here at least for weatherstrip. We all know who.
My rear hatch weatherstrip looks like this now after a year. My order # is 16554 if vender would like to make this right
I used to have a boss that wouldn't talk to me if he knew I wasn't going to like the answer

Old 10-30-2014, 11:46 PM
MickPB
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Super Glue Gel

I was told to use Super Glue Gel - Surprisingly it help longer so far than whatever it was glued with originally. Overall though - Not what I expected but also I bought a low priced (cheap ? or Inexpensive ?) product
Old 10-31-2014, 05:34 AM
kenmohr
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by MickPB
I was told to use Super Glue Gel - Surprisingly it help longer so far than whatever it was glued with originally. Overall though - Not what I expected but also I bought a low priced (cheap ? or Inexpensive ?) product
Where can you buy one that fits in the corner properly and lasts?
Old 10-31-2014, 05:44 PM
samsonb
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kenmohr
Where can you buy one that fits in the corner properly and lasts?
Some vendors offer a hatch weatherstrip that the corners are hot melted instead of glued. Never tried it, but supposedly the hot melted shouldn't separate compared to the glued ones.

I think it's pretty much assumed the glued ends will separate on most or all of them. I know at one point people were recommending to go ahead and split them open and reglue them before installing. But I wouldn't use super glue as that failed on me. But I would probably look at using a black urethane glue instead.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:43 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

mine came from Corvette Rubber... and that was 12 years ago. It is only now starting to tear. They have a life span... sad that yours only lasted 1 year.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:36 PM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Received 1,389 Likes on 920 Posts

If I were trying to salvage one that was already torn in the corners, I'd use black 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive, and clean both surfaces scrupulously before applying.

As an aside, a very light film of dielectric silicone grease on the weatherstrip where the rear glass contacts it in the areas of the corners can go a long way to help keep this from happening. The big problem with the C4 coupe rear hatch w/s is that the hatch glass slides across the w/s more than presses down on it, in this area, as the hatch is opened and closed. This tends to put a really big sideways pull on the w/s. It's a bit of a design weakness in the shape of the hatch glass. Keeping the w/s slippery in the vicinity of the corners really helps with longevity.

Live well,

SJW
Old 11-01-2014, 01:47 AM
samsonb
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SJW
If I were trying to salvage one that was already torn in the corners, I'd use black 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive, and clean both surfaces scrupulously before applying.

As an aside, a very light film of dielectric silicone grease on the weatherstrip where the rear glass contacts it in the areas of the corners can go a long way to help keep this from happening. The big problem with the C4 coupe rear hatch w/s is that the hatch glass slides across the w/s more than presses down on it, in this area, as the hatch is opened and closed. This tends to put a really big sideways pull on the w/s. It's a bit of a design weakness in the shape of the hatch glass. Keeping the w/s slippery in the vicinity of the corners really helps with longevity.

Live well,

SJW
I don't think that is the issue as I've had replacements split twice and the hatch was only opened a few times.
Old 11-01-2014, 07:20 AM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by samsonb
I don't think that is the issue as I've had replacements split twice and the hatch was only opened a few times.
Not my issue either as my weatherstrip was well taken care of and still split

Get notified of new replies

To Weatherstrip Vendor won't answer

Quick Reply: Weatherstrip Vendor won't answer