C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Steering rack adjust how to?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 11:22 PM
lrbodnar
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering rack adjust how to?

I have about a inch of play in steering rack, and want to adjust the preload on the gear meshing. I have have searched for about a week now, and came across a few threads on guys doing this to tighten up their rack and pinions. But cant seem to find any how to information on it.

Ive been under the car, and think I have it figured out,just have to loosen the locking nut, then tighten the smaller nut, then tighten the locking nut. The problem im having though..... Is what wrench do I use on the very large castle looking looking nut? Is there a speacial wrench for them? Ive been seeing a few here and there on the internet forsale, but I dont know what brand, or size to get that will work?

Thanks for the help..... Need to get this car going down the road safe again!!!
Old 11-01-2014, 01:33 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

What year is this car? What have you checked already? Have you confirmed that there is nothing wrong with the intermediate shaft? A GM/Saginaw rack seldom requires an adjuster plug preload adjustment.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:46 AM
lrbodnar
Heel & Toe

Sorry, always forget to mention the important stuff. The car is a 94 6sp coupe.

So far ive replaced outer tie rod ends, and completely rebuilt the intermediate steering shaft, so thats all nice and tight. When wiggling the steering wheel back and forth, it seems to have all of its play right at the "steering box". Wanted to try and tighten it to see if that fixes the problem.

I have read that to adjust it, you have to remove the rack, but im quite sure i can do it in the car. If i have to remove the rack for any reason, ill just put a new "remanufactured" unit in.

Thank you
Old 11-01-2014, 12:53 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

I believe that an M22 would do the plug. 7/8 was loose and that's M22+ very little so I might try the M22 and for the jamb nut that measured M44+ so I'd think 1 3/4" would do. The jamb nut is easily disfigured because of how it's constructed.

I always thought if I had questions I'd maybe contact Kaufman:

http://www.kaufmanproducts.com/kaufman.pdf

Turn-One is in the rebuilding business and I don't know first hand what information they might pass on. I didn't see a 1 3/4 jamb nut wrench on Kaufman but that doesn't mean they don't do one.

Do you have a FSM? The spec for adjustment is listed. I didn't think you needed an image to sort the plug and the jamb nut.

Name:  Adjuster Plug.png
Views: 1987
Size:  27.9 KB

Last edited by WVZR-1; 11-01-2014 at 01:17 PM.
Old 11-01-2014, 02:57 PM
lrbodnar
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
I believe that an M22 would do the plug. 7/8 was loose and that's M22+ very little so I might try the M22 and for the jamb nut that measured M44+ so I'd think 1 3/4" would do. The jamb nut is easily disfigured because of how it's constructed.

I always thought if I had questions I'd maybe contact Kaufman:

http://www.kaufmanproducts.com/kaufman.pdf

Turn-One is in the rebuilding business and I don't know first hand what information they might pass on. I didn't see a 1 3/4 jamb nut wrench on Kaufman but that doesn't mean they don't do one.

Do you have a FSM? The spec for adjustment is listed. I didn't think you needed an image to sort the plug and the jamb nut.

Attachment 47837516
Thanks for the info, i did look the section over in the fsm, i just didnt see what wrench size would work.

As of right now, i have just moved, so my tool selection is still very limited. I'll buy a 1 3/4 wrench, see if it fits.

Thank you again.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:07 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by lrbodnar
Thanks for the info, i did look the section over in the fsm, i just didnt see what wrench size would work.

As of right now, i have just moved, so my tool selection is still very limited. I'll buy a 1 3/4 wrench, see if it fits.

Thank you again.
A 1 3/4 wrench would be way to thick for use unless it was on the bench I'd think. A 1 3/4 would also be expensive. A "plumbers wrench" I believe has 1 3/4 capabilities also. They're inexpensive.

I wonder how thick this "spanner" is? It could be ideal:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-1-Steel-1-3-4-Spanner-and-15-16-Hexagonal-double-Wrench-for-repair-Black-/271650561265?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f3fa29cf1

Last edited by WVZR-1; 11-01-2014 at 05:18 PM.
Old 11-01-2014, 10:04 PM
lrbodnar
Heel & Toe

Looks like that wrench may work.....

I started thinking though, I do have some real high strength coil over adjustment wrench's with the hook on one end. I think when I get a chance, I might try that to see if I can get it to turn. Just worried that anything I use will deform the nut, since ive already mess it up alittle bit.

Get notified of new replies

To Steering rack adjust how to?

Quick Reply: Steering rack adjust how to?