C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

How to open fuse box with no knob

Old 11-04-2014, 02:24 PM
Bryce Brown
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to open fuse box with no ****

I am new to the Corvette family. have an 1985 Corvette that the courtesy light will not go off. Someone said to remove the fuse. I can see the fuse panel but can't open it. No **** on it as stated. Does anyone know how to open it and what fuse I need to remove?
Thanks!!!!
Old 11-04-2014, 02:27 PM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

There is a switch on the top left of the digital dash board. It pulls out to turn on the head lights. Rotate that switch to the right and see if the lights go out. The doors have a timer for the lights too so you need to wait about a minute or so to see if they go off. The doors have to be closed along with the hatch.

As for the fuse panel. I have to use my finger nails and be pretty aggressive with it to pull it off when the **** pops out. You can try a screw driver or a hook to pop off the fuse panel also.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:38 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

How to open fuse box with no ****
You can buy a replacement FB **** at one of the Vette vendors.

I would bend a large paper clip, insert into the know hold and pull enough to raise the front edge of the FB cover. Then you can lift it out.

Removing the CTSY/CLK fuse should kill the interior lights.

Last edited by 65Z01; 11-04-2014 at 06:41 PM.
Old 11-05-2014, 12:28 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by 65Z01
Removing the CTSY/CLK fuse should kill the interior lights.
...and everything else. It supplies power for ALL the accessories that work when the ignition is off, like the cigarette letter. It also supplies power to the dash, radio and the C68 HVAC system (if you have one) to remember all the settings, which you will lose if you pull that fuse.

Usually when the interior lights stay on it's either because the headlight **** is turned all the way CCW (I think that's right, it could be all the way CW) or the courtesy light delay module has a shorted transistor (fairly common problem). The courtesy light delay module is taped to the wiring harness near the fuse block. This is what mine looked like with the PC board pulled out of the plastic module housing (and I removed the metal heat sink for the transistor -- the one that fails is the big one in the lower left corner):

Willcox makes two versions of replacement modules. One is a duplicate of the original and the other eliminates the delay -- the lights turn out as soon as you close the door. The various Corvette parts vendors sell these modules.

This is the duplicate of the stock PC board:

http://willcoxcorvette.com/product_i...11f863dac29ef4

This one eliminates the delay function:

http://willcoxcorvette.com/product_i...11f863dac29ef4

Last edited by Cliff Harris; 11-05-2014 at 12:33 AM.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:09 AM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Dont laugh but I had somehow pushed on the light in my car and turned it on. I thought I had the timer issue but found out it was simple. Look on the light itself and you will see the word "PUSH". Press in there and maybe it will go out.

Always check for operator error first!

Get notified of new replies

To How to open fuse box with no knob

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to open fuse box with no knob