C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Now I see why they"re called "Summer Tires"..

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 07:37 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

I learned that few years ago when I almost hit a mountain. I can feel the difference once temperatures drop below 60°F. The good years were the biggest cold weather liability I ever had, they were good in the rain, but in cold weather you had to drive the Vette like it was a 70s sedan.

The NT05 have a better grip on the cold, but I don't think they are any good in the rain.

The BFG KDW were great tires period.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:43 PM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Also guys Summer tires can crack and split open in cold enough temps. They not only turn into greaseballs in the cold, they become dangerous because of structural reasons.

It's the reason why my C4 save when I first bought it, has been in all seasons. We can go from below freezing to 70 degrees, in the same day here in NC. Sure they aren't as good as Winter or Summer tires in their respective elements, but this way I can drive the car fairly hard all year long. I save the summer rubber for mid spring on to late fall.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:23 PM
volkswagens-for-life
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Summer tires definitely blow ***** at 40* and colder. I could punch it anywhere in 2nd or 3rd and the rear end gets real happy.

GRANTED, doing the same malarkey in my mustang GT as I've done in the Corvette would have DEFINITELY landed me facing the wrong direction and mortally wounded. These cars are just so damn easy to control when pushed. The rear end goes precisely where I want it to at all times, and it's easy to predict where its going to go when pushed.I cant tell you how many times I've turned my mustang GT around doing the same exact stuff I've done in the corvette with complete control.

yes, braking distances definitely increase when cold. ABS gets real excitable.

Quick Reply: Now I see why they"re called "Summer Tires"..