C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Corsa cat back won't fit

Old 11-09-2014, 09:08 PM
C4ProjectCar
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Corsa cat back won't fit

Well, I got my Corsa cat back, but when I went to install it I encountered two problems:

The cat, which I knew the previous owner had replaced, was a generic cat, not one specific to this car, so it has no plate with holes for the flange bolts on the cat back y pipe to go through. No problem, I thought, I'll just put it on without the flange bolts and fabricate something for the cat. Here's where I get to problem 2.

When I tried to put the new y-pipe on, I saw that it wouldn't fit. The exhaust pipe coming out the back of the cat is too big for the y pipe to fit over it. I'm guessing the muffler shop put on a cat with a larger diameter outlet pipe. So now I'm stuck with no mufflers on my car.

Any tips for how I can get my new cat back to fit? I have a 3" pipe on my cat and a 3" pipe on my y pipe.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:34 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16

Is this a complete catback from Corsa? If so you may want to contact them to see if they sent the pipes. You can always take the pipes to a muffler shop and have them expand the ends so it fits.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:26 PM
C4ProjectCar
Drifting

Originally Posted by We Gone
Is this a complete catback from Corsa? If so you may want to contact them to see if they sent the pipes. You can always take the pipes to a muffler shop and have them expand the ends so it fits.
Yeah, it's the entire setup, part number 14115.

I plan to call Corsa tomorrow, but right now I think they're closed.

Going to a muffler shop will be my last-ditch effort if I can't make it work myself.

As a side note, I see why people install cutouts. I couldn't resist taking it for a spin without mufflers and
The drone was pretty horrible at 2500 or so though.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:43 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Replace the Cat with a stock replacement or have an exhaust shop fix it for you. GL
Old 11-11-2014, 01:23 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I would think that when the cat got replaced, it would have been a CARB-compliant cat unless the PO bought a generic piece and did the install himself. An OEM cat should have been one that would have had the proper mounting flange. Corsa would certainly have designed their systems to fit OEM cats.

You may want to find out if the cat that is on there now will pass a visual test or at least have a CARB sticker on the car. Some shops will be sticklers about the regs and it could be some shops will not work on the car unless everything is compliant.
Old 11-12-2014, 12:48 AM
C4ProjectCar
Drifting

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
I would think that when the cat got replaced, it would have been a CARB-compliant cat unless the PO bought a generic piece and did the install himself. An OEM cat should have been one that would have had the proper mounting flange. Corsa would certainly have designed their systems to fit OEM cats.

You may want to find out if the cat that is on there now will pass a visual test or at least have a CARB sticker on the car. Some shops will be sticklers about the regs and it could be some shops will not work on the car unless everything is compliant.
Hmm, I didn't know that a CARB-compliant cat would have the flange. Mine must not be CARB-compliant then I guess. The PO definitely didn't have the ability to replace it himself, but I know he lived in Nevada and Washington for a while. Maybe he had a generic one installed there.

Right now I'm thinking about either buying the proper connector for the cat and having a shop weld it on or just having a shop weld the Corsa y-pipe to the cat. $60 for the latter, but I'm not sure I want to permanently attach it.

I wasn't aware that a shop may refuse to work on it if the cat is non-compliant. I'm thinking about taking it in tomorrow so I hope that it isn't an issue.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:06 PM
C4ProjectCar
Drifting

I've decided to have a muffler shop weld on the Y pipe. Is there anything I should pay attention to/be concerned about? Do I need to make sure that the pipe is aligned a certain way, or will the muffler shop get it right?
Old 11-12-2014, 02:12 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

2018 C4 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16

Cool, Welding is the best way to go. If its a good shop they will line everything up. If you can see if they will let you confirm its like you want it before welding.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:28 PM
C4ProjectCar
Drifting

Okay, I did some research and found that there are some universal cats that are CARB certified.

Before I get it welded I want to make sure that my cat is certified. Will the number be visible right on the bottom of the cat?
I looked and couldn't see anything - is it possible that the number is on the top side of the cat?

If my cat isn't certified what are the chances that a smog place will actually catch it? Do they ever check?
Old 11-12-2014, 02:39 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Magnaflow makes cats for our car, that are CARB certified.

CARB now requires an exact fitment, not based on engine size. The cats also have 2 year warranties and will also meet standard for more miles.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:50 PM
C4ProjectCar
Drifting

Originally Posted by bogus
Magnaflow makes cats for our car, that are CARB certified.

CARB now requires an exact fitment, not based on engine size. The cats also have 2 year warranties and will also meet standard for more miles.
The previous owner said he recently replaced the cat, so I don't want to have to replace it again, especially not after having my exhaust welded to it.

Here's a universal one from MagnaFlow that's CARB-certified. I'm wondering if I have one similar to this.
http://www.magnaflow.com/02catalytic...iversal=337005

I just don't know how to tell if mine has a CARB EO.
Old 11-12-2014, 04:04 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

2018 C4 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16

The certified cats I have seen have a tag welded to them with brand and date along with other info. be sure to feel around it may be on the top.
Old 11-12-2014, 04:07 PM
C4ProjectCar
Drifting

Originally Posted by We Gone
The certified cats I have seen have a tag welded to them with brand and date along with other info. be sure to feel around it may be on the top.
If there's the possibility of the tag being on the top then I won't sweat it. I highly doubt a smog place is going to jack up my car just to make sure I have a certified cat.

Nonetheless, I'll check myself next time I have it up on my ramps. I looked with a mirror and it's definitely not on the bottom or sides.

Thanks for the help.
Old 11-12-2014, 04:42 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,016 Posts

I believe I'd do what needed to be done to attach the Corsa as it was meant to be installed if everything from the manifold to the rear of the CAT were original.

I think anything short of that is foolish UNLESS you know the installer and have confidence that they can handle the install. I believe the ball/socket connection can be duplicated. I never needed to accomplish it but I'd certainly investigate an install that would be bolt on. I know a couple installers that I'd trust and maybe you should ask "locally" for some references, a local speed shop would likely know a shop or two that could capably handle it. A shop that can is likely going to require CARB parts to complete an install. It's their a$$ if it's done and CARB parts weren't used.
Old 11-12-2014, 04:52 PM
C4ProjectCar
Drifting

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
I believe I'd do what needed to be done to attach the Corsa as it was meant to be installed if everything from the manifold to the rear of the CAT were original.

I think anything short of that is foolish UNLESS you know the installer and have confidence that they can handle the install. I believe the ball/socket connection can be duplicated. I never needed to accomplish it but I'd certainly investigate an install that would be bolt on. I know a couple installers that I'd trust and maybe you should ask "locally" for some references, a local speed shop would likely know a shop or two that could capably handle it. A shop that can is likely going to require CARB parts to complete an install. It's their a$$ if it's done and CARB parts weren't used.
The shop can weld a flange onto the cat, but it would cost twice as much. Besides, isn't it better to have exhaust welded than to have it clamped?

I've heard good things about this shop, and I'm confident in their work. I'll make sure it's lined up right before they weld it.

Since they aren't installing the cat, just welding onto it, I'm hoping CARB compliance won't be a problem.

I'm already going to be out near the shop, so I'm going to take it by today and see what they say.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:13 PM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey, Reid!...

Yeah, just have the muffler shop weld the flange onto the rear of the Cat or, if you need to replace the cat, the muffler shop will have the correct California compliant catalytic converter so, you don't have to search for it.

In any case, don't cut or modify any part of the Corsa Y-Pipe just to make it fit. Either have the shop weld a flange onto the end of the cat or replace the cat with the OEM part.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:25 PM
C4ProjectCar
Drifting

Originally Posted by GKK
Hey, Reid!...

Yeah, just have the muffler shop weld the flange onto the rear of the Cat or, if you need to replace the cat, the muffler shop will have the correct California compliant catalytic converter so, you don't have to search for it.

In any case, don't cut or modify any part of the Corsa Y-Pipe just to make it fit. Either have the shop weld a flange onto the end of the cat or replace the cat with the OEM part.
Thanks Garret.

They had suggested cutting off the flange on the Y pipe to weld it to the cat.

The muffler shop quoted replacing the cat to be $250 or so and welding on a flange to be $120, whereas cutting and welding the Y pipe is only $60. Since I don't plan to remove the exhaust, budget is an issue, and I heard that welded exhaust is better, I had decided to go with the cheaper route.

However, I want to make sure I don't have it done a bad way. What are your reasons for suggesting I not have the Y pipe modified?

I called Corsa and a new Y pipe is only $120, on the off chance that I ever wanted to go back to the ball flange design.

Get notified of new replies

To Corsa cat back won't fit

Old 11-12-2014, 05:28 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,016 Posts

Originally Posted by C4ProjectCar
The shop can weld a flange onto the cat, but it would cost twice as much..
The Corsa after being cut/welded isn't probably worth half of the money you paid if you were to attempt a sale if you're unhappy. It could cost maybe three times the price of doing it right the first time vs. an attempt to short cut it the first time.

It's certainly your car and your call! Good luck!
Old 11-12-2014, 05:33 PM
C4ProjectCar
Drifting

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
The Corsa after being cut/welded isn't probably worth half of the money you paid if you were to attempt a sale if you're unhappy. It could cost maybe three times the price of doing it right the first time vs. an attempt to short cut it the first time.

It's certainly your car and your call! Good luck!
That was my concern too, but I've heard the exhaust in person so I doubt I'll sell it, and I know I can get a replacement Y pipe if I decide to sell it.

That being said, you've convinced me. When I go by today I'll explore the option of getting a flange welded on. I'm anxious to get it back on the road but I don't want to rush into a bad decision.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:37 PM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by C4ProjectCar
When I go by today I'll explore the option of getting a flange welded on.
Good, decision!

Welding the Y-Pipe to the cat, will prevent the exhaust from ever being removed. Saving $60 bucks now, will end up costing more in the end when the exhaust will have to eventually be cut off and installed properly.

You never know when you'll have to remove or service the rear differential or in my case, switch the Corsa exhaust onto another C4 Vette after my 89 was totaled.

Here's a quote I always find true, "You Never have the time to do it Right but, you Always have the time to do it Twice!"...

Last edited by GKK; 11-12-2014 at 07:46 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Corsa cat back won't fit