C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1994 Convertible key fob

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 12:18 PM
Gold
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1994 Convertible key fob

I have a 1994 convertible automatic. I know the key fobs are different between the coupes & the convertibles. I have the correct fob for the convertible with just the one door button. I have followed the instructions on how to program your remote. Also I have the white programming card that comes with the fob and followed those instruction but no success. 1st I make sure the fob is at least ten feet away. I put the key in the ignition, turn it to the on position, did not start the engine, press the ODO/TRIP button twice and within 5 seconds I pressed and held the FUEL button. Then I waited and waited and waited and waited for the PKE light to flash on the DIC screen. The PKE light never came on. I did checked the PKE fuse, it is good. Any ideas?
Thanks
Old 11-12-2014, 02:56 PM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Gold
I have a 1994 convertible automatic. I know the key fobs are different between the coupes & the convertibles. I have the correct fob for the convertible with just the one door button. I have followed the instructions on how to program your remote. Also I have the white programming card that comes with the fob and followed those instruction but no success. 1st I make sure the fob is at least ten feet away. I put the key in the ignition, turn it to the on position, did not start the engine, press the ODO/TRIP button twice and within 5 seconds I pressed and held the FUEL button. Then I waited and waited and waited and waited for the PKE light to flash on the DIC screen. The PKE light never came on. I did checked the PKE fuse, it is good. Any ideas?
Thanks
There are three fuses to check, 26, 40 and 42. It's also possible that the PKE bulb is burned out; does it light up when you turn the key to on? However, I'm afraid you probably have a bad receiver in the car. This attachment might help you determine the problem.

(The coupe fob should also work, you would just have an extra button.)
Attached Files
File Type: doc
Pull PKE codes.doc (171.0 KB, 116 views)
Old 11-12-2014, 08:40 PM
Gold
Advanced

Thanks for the reply. When I turn on the ignition the PKE light does not illuminate. You're suggesting that I jump the A and H terminals and it should flash a code?
Old 11-13-2014, 08:54 AM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the reply. When I turn on the ignition the PKE light does not illuminate. You're suggesting that I jump the A and H terminals and it should flash a code?
Well, the FSM suggests it, but those instructions are for a 93 I think. Maybe someone else knows if 94s are the same?

There are a couple more easy questions. When you turn the key on (engine off) and then open the door, does the "left-the-key-in-the-ignition" chime sound? If not, Also, do the ODO/TRIP and FUEL buttons work correctly as they should?
Old 11-14-2014, 02:50 AM
akbeaver
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks
Of course, you have put a fresh battery in the transmitter.
Here is a review of the procedure from Page 9K-6 of the 1994 Service Manual.

Make sure the radio is off!! Have all the transmitter(s) out of range. You can program up to three transmitters.

PROGRAMMING MODE INITIATION

1- Ignition to RUN position
2- TRIP ODO pushed and released
3- TRIP ODO pushed and held for 5 seconds
4- Within 5 seconds, push and hold the FUEL INFO button for 10 seconds

NOTE - The PKE telltale lamp will come on continuously

5- Ignition key to the LOCK position

NOTE - The PKE telltale lamp will begin flashing the number of the transmitter to be programmed

PROGRAMMING STATUS

Within two minutes, bring the transmitter in range. When the code has been stored, the PKE telltale lamp will be illuminated continuously as long as the transmitter is within range.

To program subsequent transmitters, remove coded transmitter from in range. The PKE telltale lamp will flash the number of the transmitter to be programmed. Repeat above step.

To cancel programming, remove key from ignition, turn ignition on or wait more than two minutes. The PKE telltale lamp will not be illuminated.

If less than three transmitters are programmed, the receiver will only accept those codes programmed. If programming is cancelled before any codes are stored, the previously stored codes shall remain valid.

Try this and get back to me.

Jim
Old 11-14-2014, 04:24 PM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by akbeaver
Of course, you have put a fresh battery in the transmitter.
Here is a review of the procedure from Page 9K-6 of the 1994 Service Manual.

Make sure the radio is off!! Have all the transmitter(s) out of range. You can program up to three transmitters.

PROGRAMMING MODE INITIATION

1- Ignition to RUN position
2- TRIP ODO pushed and released
3- TRIP ODO pushed and held for 5 seconds
4- Within 5 seconds, push and hold the FUEL INFO button for 10 seconds

NOTE - The PKE telltale lamp will come on continuously

5- Ignition key to the LOCK position

NOTE - The PKE telltale lamp will begin flashing the number of the transmitter to be programmed

PROGRAMMING STATUS

Within two minutes, bring the transmitter in range. When the code has been stored, the PKE telltale lamp will be illuminated continuously as long as the transmitter is within range.

To program subsequent transmitters, remove coded transmitter from in range. The PKE telltale lamp will flash the number of the transmitter to be programmed. Repeat above step.

To cancel programming, remove key from ignition, turn ignition on or wait more than two minutes. The PKE telltale lamp will not be illuminated.

If less than three transmitters are programmed, the receiver will only accept those codes programmed. If programming is cancelled before any codes are stored, the previously stored codes shall remain valid.

Try this and get back to me.

Jim
Fob battery wouldn't affect the PKE light not coming on. Also, are you sure about numbers 3 and 5 above? 95s are different, but it's certainly could be.
Old 11-15-2014, 12:15 AM
akbeaver
Instructor

Default Battery

Originally Posted by markKlein
Fob battery wouldn't affect the PKE light not coming on. Also, are you sure about numbers 3 and 5 above? 95s are different, but it's certainly could be.
Verbatim from the 1994 Service Manual, page 9K-6 as stated in my post.

Fob battery will affect the ability to code the key fob.

I don't know about 1995's. I believe the question was about a 1994.

Jim
Old 11-15-2014, 12:46 PM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Verbatim from the 1994 Service Manual, page 9K-6 as stated in my post.

Fob battery will affect the ability to code the key fob.

I don't know about 1995's. I believe the question was about a 1994.

Jim
That's strange, conflicts with instructions in the owners manual for a 94:
To match transmitters to your
vehicle:
1. Move all transmitters out of range.
2. Turn the ignition on.
3. Push “TRIP ODO’ on the Driver
Information Center twice.
4. Within five seconds press and hold
“FUEL INFO’ until the “PASSIVE
KEYLESS ENTRY” light comes on.
5. Turn the ignition off, but leave the
key in the ignition. The “PASSIVE
KEYLESS ENTRY” light should
begin to flash to show the system is
in programming mode.

Also, the fob battery could certainly prevent being able to complete the programming process, but it would not keep the PKE light from coming on, which is where Gold is getting stuck.
Old 11-15-2014, 02:18 PM
akbeaver
Instructor

Default Reply

That's strange, conflicts with instructions in the owners manual for a 94:
To match transmitters to your
vehicle:
1. Move all transmitters out of range.
2. Turn the ignition on.
3. Push “TRIP ODO’ on the Driver
Information Center twice.
4. Within five seconds press and hold
“FUEL INFO’ until the “PASSIVE
KEYLESS ENTRY” light comes on.
5. Turn the ignition off, but leave the
key in the ignition. The “PASSIVE
KEYLESS ENTRY” light should
begin to flash to show the system is
in programming mode.

Also, the fob battery could certainly prevent being able to complete the programming process, but it would not keep the PKE light from coming on, which is where Gold is getting stuck.
All I can tell you and reiterate is that is the "verbatim" procedure from the 1994 Service Manual on page 9K-6.

It worked for me and you are free to choose your method. As long as you can get it to work that should be the answer. Try the Owner's Manual method and if that works, fine. If not, try the Service Manual method.

I am just trying to get the key fob programmed with the vehicle code to eliminate that as a cause for the PKE not working. If he does not have the correct code and the vehicle is not recognizing the fob, he cannot even begin to program the PKE options.

That is why I mention the fob battery.

One solution at a time, please. Then we can go to the next step.

Let's see if we can get your fob coded. If we can I think the next solution will become apparent.

If you don't agree/like the assistance I am offering, you are welcome to seek other sources.

Regards,

Jim
Old 11-15-2014, 03:08 PM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

I am just trying to get the key fob programmed with the vehicle code to eliminate that as a cause for the PKE not working. If he does not have the correct code and the vehicle is not recognizing the fob, he cannot even begin to program the PKE options.
That is his problem. He cannot program the receiver to recognize the fob (the fob is not actually programmed, the receiver is). He can't complete step 4. He isn't trying to change the options.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:13 AM
akbeaver
Instructor

That is his problem. He cannot program the receiver to recognize the fob (the fob is not actually programmed, the receiver is). He can't complete step 4. He isn't trying to change the options.
It would be nice if you allowed the person with the problem to state his problem rather than you acting as a surrogate.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:07 AM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Received 142 Likes on 117 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

It would be nice if you allowed the person with the problem to state his problem rather than you acting as a surrogate.
It would be nice if you would listen to what Mark is saying too.

He knows quite a bit about the PKE system.
Listen to his advice, as he understands the issue the OP is having.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:06 PM
akbeaver
Instructor

Originally Posted by RollaMo-LT4
It would be nice if you would listen to what Mark is saying too.

He knows quite a bit about the PKE system.
Listen to his advice, as he understands the issue the OP is having.
If he knows quite a bit about it, then I don't need to be involved in contributing to this conversation.

I was trying to assist when he stepped in between me and the person asking.

Go forward and help the lad.

I'm out of here.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:44 PM
Gold
Advanced

Okay I can update you on my PKE problem. I checked all the fuses, 26, 40, 42. Test light shows each one has power on both sides of the fuse. If I leave the key in the ignition and open the drivers door, the key warning chime comes on. All interior lights work. If the drivers door is open the word "Security" in the instrument cluster flashes, which is normal. If I close the door the security goes out. All the buttons on the DIC, ODO/trip, fuel, work as designed.
Now for another twist. When I get into the car, leave the drivers door open, put the key into the ignition and turn it on, but don't start it and then close the drivers door, the drivers door lock actuator, only the drivers door, unlocks the door. I can watch the plastic slide bar by the inside door handle moves forward. If the key is NOT in the ignition and I close the drivers door nothing happens. I don't know what else to add. I will answer any questions to try and resolve the mystery.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:40 PM
akbeaver
Instructor

Default Still here

Okay I can update you on my PKE problem. I checked all the fuses, 26, 40, 42. Test light shows each one has power on both sides of the fuse. If I leave the key in the ignition and open the drivers door, the key warning chime comes on. All interior lights work. If the drivers door is open the word "Security" in the instrument cluster flashes, which is normal. If I close the door the security goes out. All the buttons on the DIC, ODO/trip, fuel, work as designed.
Now for another twist. When I get into the car, leave the drivers door open, put the key into the ignition and turn it on, but don't start it and then close the drivers door, the drivers door lock actuator, only the drivers door, unlocks the door. I can watch the plastic slide bar by the inside door handle moves forward. If the key is NOT in the ignition and I close the drivers door nothing happens. I don't know what else to add. I will answer any questions to try and resolve the mystery.
We can trouble shoot those problems as we go.

For reference, when I unlock my 1994 Coupe driver's door with my door key, PKE fob not in range, I can use the electric door switch mounted in the driver door to remotely unlock the passenger's door without the ignition key being in the ignition. The driver's door lock also moves with the electric door switch activation. The same thing for the passenger side, if I open the passenger door with the key, PKE fob not in range, I can remotely unlock the driver's door with the electric door switch in the passenger door. Key not in the ignition.

I think that this is correct. I will confirm it with the Service Manual.

However, can I understand your initial post was to be able to code your PKE fob?

Is that still an open issue?

If so, do you still want to pursue that issue?

Regards,

Jim
Old 11-17-2014, 06:26 PM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Gold, I'm sorry your thread got so off topic. I don't really have many more ideas for you; my last thoughts would be to check and make sure the bulb is not just burned out, and get a FSM and follow the diagnostics for the PKE. I'd say it's probably 90%+ that the receiver needs to be replaced.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:54 AM
Gold
Advanced

10-4. I was afraid of that assumption. Let me ask a couple of questions. When I put the key in the ignition and turn it to the on position, but don't start the engine, all the idiot lights in the DIC come on as normal, EXCEPT the PKE light. It has never come on. Is it suppose to come on like the other light when you initially start the car then go out once the vehicle has started? If the light bulb is burned out for the PKE indicator in the DIC can it be changed?
Thanks for all your help.

Get notified of new replies

To 1994 Convertible key fob

Old 11-18-2014, 11:32 AM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

10-4. I was afraid of that assumption. Let me ask a couple of questions. When I put the key in the ignition and turn it to the on position, but don't start the engine, all the idiot lights in the DIC come on as normal, EXCEPT the PKE light. It has never come on. Is it suppose to come on like the other light when you initially start the car then go out once the vehicle has started? If the light bulb is burned out for the PKE indicator in the DIC can it be changed?
Thanks for all your help.
I'm not certain if it should come on, most cars do but my impression reading the manual is that it doesn't. Maybe someone with a 94 can say for certain. The light can be replaced, I have never done that but i don't think it is a big job. How about this though; assume the light is burned out, go through the procedure until you think the light should come on, and then just proceed as if it did. If the light would have come on but is burned out you should be able to just keep going and have the programming procedure work. Wouldn't cost anything and just take a couple minutes to try. Rolla, any other ideas?

Good luck Gold.

Oh, unlocking the doors when you close them with the key in is normal, prevents you from locking the keys in car.

Last edited by markKlein; 11-18-2014 at 12:52 PM.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:13 PM
Gold
Advanced

I'll give it a shot.
Thanks for all the info. One way or another I'll get it figured out.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:29 PM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Received 142 Likes on 117 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

I'm not certain if it should come on, most cars do but my impression reading the manual is that it doesn't. Maybe someone with a 94 can say for certain. The light can be replaced, I have never done that but i don't think it is a big job. How about this though; assume the light is burned out, go through the procedure until you think the light should come on, and then just proceed as if it did. If the light would have come on but is burned out you should be able to just keep going and have the programming procedure work. Wouldn't cost anything and just take a couple minutes to try. Rolla, any other ideas?

Good luck Gold.

Oh, unlocking the doors when you close them with the key in is normal, prevents you from locking the keys in car.
Afraid I am not much good at trouble shooting a system that isn't working.

I know how the system works, how to program the FOB's, and what to expect from the way PKE works.

I agree with everything you have said so far.

Quick Reply: 1994 Convertible key fob