C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

L98 intake swap to lt1 question.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 01:58 AM
mitchpdavis
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default L98 intake swap to lt1 question.

I couldn't find much info on the subject so if this had been covered before I'm sorry please let me know where to find the answer.
Seen a fella with a L98 motor powered by a modified lt1 intake. I'm told there is some modifications involved with some machine work. Will I'm interested as hell but I wanted to know all the specs before I just dive in.
What needs to get machined.
What do I do for wire harness/ throttle ect..
do I need to tune the car to run the new intake.
Thanks for all the advice and help.
Old 11-16-2014, 11:07 AM
ANTI VENOM
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

In a nut shell. You need to drill a hole for the distributor. Modify you fuel rails and lines. Modify the EGR passages on the LT1 intake. (no EGR) The throttle body will fit but because the LT1 intake sits lower that may cause fitment issues. Your wiring harness is basically good, but you will need to do something different with the IAT sensor. LT1's are in the tube that is from the filter to the TB. You need to get a remote thermostat housing and figure out the hose routing and modify the manifold for those connections.
If you are still with us after that, let me know. There are many people who have done it. Just need to find the info. I put an LT1 engine in my L98 car so I don't have the same situation as you do.
Good luck.......
Old 11-16-2014, 01:21 PM
mitchpdavis
Intermediate

How much of a benefit did you get out of the lt1 swap. I have one on stand by but I was told it wasn't worth it.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:56 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

is youre motor stock or do you have upgrades planned?
The LT1 wont puke at 4500 rpm, TPI might have a little more snap to the throttle. Pluses and minuses of ea
member by the name of David Frederick in the parts section sells fully converted ones done.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:06 PM
mitchpdavis
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
is youre motor stock or do you have upgrades planned?
The LT1 wont puke at 4500 rpm, TPI might have a little more snap to the throttle. Pluses and minuses of ea
member by the name of David Frederick in the parts section sells fully converted ones done.

My l98 is stock.. But I planed on building either motor ..ported polished heads intake hot cam...03 over bore ect.. and I'm keeping the doug nash 4+3 until funds ate there for the tko500. So I didn't know if I could keep the tranny with putting a lt1 in
Old 11-17-2014, 12:27 PM
THE 383 admiral
Melting Slicks

Received 199 Likes on 183 Posts

Coolant does not flow through the LT1/4 intake.
The coolant also is routed to the firewall side of the heads. cooling them first. You can easily tap the standard pipe thread or my recommendation AN fittings. Then route into the radiator feed line.

Last edited by THE 383 admiral; 11-18-2014 at 09:35 AM.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:33 PM
Benny42
Drifting

Received 95 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by mitchpdavis
So I didn't know if I could keep the tranny with putting a lt1 in
Do you have iron heads or aluminum? That will answer the Trans question (1 or 2 piece rear seal) Fill out your profile, we can help more if we know what you have.
Old 11-17-2014, 02:03 PM
mitchpdavis
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Benny42
Do you have iron heads or aluminum? That will answer the Trans question (1 or 2 piece rear seal) Fill out your profile, we can help more if we know what you have.
I'll try the profile deal again. Last time I tried it wouldn't do any thing. I'm sure they are iron. It's stock l98 . And my knolage on this car is limited .
Old 11-17-2014, 02:51 PM
RWDsmoke
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

I've been running one for almost ten years. I set my rev limiter to 6200 and it gets there fast. On a Corvette the remote thermostat housing will fit between the throttle body and water pump and use the factory top hose. Looks OEM that way. You can do all the work yourself. Check out this link:

http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~davis/z28...ke_conversion/
Old 11-17-2014, 07:30 PM
Benny42
Drifting

What year model is it?
Old 11-17-2014, 10:00 PM
mitchpdavis
Intermediate

Sorry.. much needed info was left out.. Is a 87 TPI l98 with 4+3 all stock no mods.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:34 PM
Benny42
Drifting

That's good. 1 piece rear seal, aluminum heads, roller cam. Pretty much all the good stuff. If you do swap in an LT1 your 4+3 will bolt right up. A good free flowing exhaust system, headers and duals will REALLY wake up your car.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:50 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

I'm keeping the doug nash 4+3 until funds ate there for the tko500. So I didn't know if I could keep the tranny with putting a lt1 in
Are you talking about an LT1 engine? B/c it doesn't matter to the trans, what intake you run.

Since you have an '87 you an keep the trans you have and run an LT1 engine, it that is what you're talking about.

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 11-17-2014 at 11:07 PM.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:57 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Adapting an LT1 intake is a lot less hassle then the motor swap and making everything work more info needed
The following users liked this post:
yakmastermax (03-21-2023)
Old 11-18-2014, 01:52 AM
mitchpdavis
Intermediate

That's good. 1 piece rear seal, aluminum heads, roller cam. Pretty much all the good stuff. If you do swap in an LT1 your 4+3 will bolt right up. A good free flowing exhaust system, headers and duals will REALLY wake up your car.

Add I said. .limited knolage on this car .. ate you saying they came stock with the aluminum heads and cam and what not. . Or that's what your recommending for me to do?
Old 11-18-2014, 06:33 AM
ANTI VENOM
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes both engines have alum heads, roller lifter cam, and 1 piece RMS.

As for the benefit of the LT1 in my car, I really can't answer that. I started out planning a high reving, large duration build.(before LS's became cheap with lots of aftermarket support) After a ride in a turbo V8, that idea was quickly put aside.

Some thoughts though. I personally like the LT1 look. The manifold is easier to work on and around. I think the heads flow a bit better. I have an old school distributor so no need to talk about the opti. I use a double roller tiiming chain and an electric wp. Is the LT1 engine swap worth the hassle. Debatable. Is the LT1 manifold better? Well for me it is. Plenty of guys have made quick TPI cars. What is your goal? That is where we should be starting.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:34 AM
mitchpdavis
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ANTI VENOM
Yes both engines have alum heads, roller lifter cam, and 1 piece RMS.

As for the benefit of the LT1 in my car, I really can't answer that. I started out planning a high reving, large duration build.(before LS's became cheap with lots of aftermarket support) After a ride in a turbo V8, that idea was quickly put aside.

Some thoughts though. I personally like the LT1 look. The manifold is easier to work on and around. I think the heads flow a bit better. I have an old school distributor so no need to talk about the opti. I use a double roller tiiming chain and an electric wp. Is the LT1 engine swap worth the hassle. Debatable. Is the LT1 manifold better? Well for me it is. Plenty of guys have made quick TPI cars. What is your goal? That is where we should be starting.
First off understand I have lots of repairs and rebuilds on this car before I break into the motor.. But I like to have a game plan instead of going on blind.
I would like to build a nice daily driver that puts out about 350-400 hp no turbo or charger. Not a race car just a corvette that dose what a corvette should. I know in the future I'm going to replace my 4+3 with a TKO 500 or 600 but for now I'm stuck with a 4 speed.
I have no problem building a l98. Or a lt1. I got both. . So Witch every is easier. .I figure l98. This way I don't have to chance harness and it should just be easy. I figure punch the block .03 over. Turn the crank. Put some higher domed pistons with 2 valve relief cut outs. A set of pot and polished heads matched with a mini ram intake from tpis.com with a nice low to mid range cam should do the job.. If that's not 350 hp them I'm on with that. . Is still gonna make good power.

Get notified of new replies

To L98 intake swap to lt1 question.

Old 11-18-2014, 06:26 PM
cadmaniac
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

I've done the swap. It was a while ago, but I remember:

1) Having to go to a small cap distributor out of a camaro.
2) I used epoxy to seal the old intake holes. No welding.
3) Had to get a remote thermostat and housing.
4) Had to make sure to get a particular intake year, something about the fuel lines.
5) Took a couple of weeks of my spare time to make the mods... but biggest problem was the hole for the distributor. Not drilling it, but getting a large washer and grinding it to the correct angle and dimensions. Took a little bit of trial and error, but it worked quite well.

Having to do it over again, the TPIS intake and fuel rails is a much cleaner install, and I spent a lot more than I thought I would with installing it. Lots of nickel and dime stuff drove up the costs.
The following users liked this post:
yakmastermax (03-21-2023)
Old 11-18-2014, 07:21 PM
mitchpdavis
Intermediate

Well. . I'm a machinist. I can mill and turn any thing needed . My biggest thought was power. Is out that much of a diffrent s. But now I've found the mini ram from tpis.com. I'm thinking that's the route I take.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:32 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Well. . I'm a machinist. I can mill and turn any thing needed . My biggest thought was power. Is out that much of a diffrent s. But now I've found the mini ram from tpis.com. I'm thinking that's the route I take.
The miniram is very expensive i would educate yourself about alternatives if I were you. You say you are a machinist,
Here is an alternative that is much more cost effective.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...r-hsr-mod.html

Ther is also the F.I.R.S.T. and the Pro Flo I would look into before making a decision. GL

Quick Reply: L98 intake swap to lt1 question.