C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Tinted Windows

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2002, 06:33 PM
91TurqC4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tinted Windows

Any reason I should not put dark tint on my windows. :cool: It gets darn hot in Austin in August.
Old 08-02-2002, 06:39 PM
guywade
Pro

Default Re: Tinted Windows (91TurqC4)

whats the law say in austin? if it doesn't matter , put it on if thats what you like, :D :cheers:
Old 08-02-2002, 06:52 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

My 35th is from SO CAL and has heavy dark tint on the hatch with moderate tint on the sides.

I realy like it and would have have the next Vette done the same way. At Carlisle it looks better than the other 35ths as it realy sets off the White/Black color scheme.

The only down side is that with a hatch vent insatlled I get such a strong reflection from my rear deck that I realy have poor rear visibility. With the hatch fully closed though even night vision is fine.

If stopped with tinted windows, roll down your window fully. It will not only hide the side tint but also put the officer at ease so he'll be less likely to bother about it. You realy don't want him to have to have concern for his safety as he approaches your car.

[Modified by 65Z01, 4:56 PM 8/2/2002]
Old 08-02-2002, 07:04 PM
fixvet
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My coupe has whatever is just barely legal in California. I did it to reduce interior solar heating and it made a world of difference. Your tint does not have to be super dark to reduce the solar factor. It wasn't a privacy factor with me, just a heat reduction situation. My car was like a greenhouse before, even with the a/c running strong. A very good investment in my book, plus I think it makes the car look alittle stealthy too?? I paid $200, including the one piece tint for the hatch. Be sure to ask for that.
Have a good weekend,
:cheers:
:seeya
Old 08-02-2002, 07:07 PM
91TurqC4
Instructor

Default Re: Tinted Windows (fixvet)

OK, its a done deal. I will try to post some pictures next week. I am heading home.

Thanks!
Old 08-02-2002, 07:33 PM
Mez
Safety Car

Location: Austin, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Houston, Dallas, Hong Kong, Elgin, etc.. Texas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here in Texas, window tint is a MUST if you drive or part outside during the day. I did it to reduce heat, UV damage to the seats/carpet and dash. Even on the hotest days, the interior never seems super heated like other cars.

Just make sure you get a good brand of window tint and lifetime guarantee. There are 3-4 different grades. Also, if you have a coupe, make sure you cut out the tint under the latch and struts where they go thru the glass. These move around over time, will cause the tint to lift. Color the glass black to hide where the tint is cut out.

Also, there must be a rivit or screw inside the door upper rear and if you role the window down all the way and slam the door, it gouges the tint. It will do this on both sides. I guarantee it. When I role the window down, leave it sticking up a little so it does not happen.
Old 08-02-2002, 08:28 PM
Sharky Guam
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Tinted Windows (Mez)

I have dark smoke on the hatch glass and light smoke on the side windows. This really helps on the real sunny days.

:yesnod: :yesnod:
Old 08-03-2002, 06:09 AM
Zora
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

I got 35% :D :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Tinted Windows

Quick Reply: Tinted Windows