C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1992 Corvette 4L60 Transmission 4 pin or 5 pin?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 09:24 PM
strotter13
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Came home to find a small puddle of tranny fluid under my car. Got her jacked up, to find what the noise was.....

A piece of the torque converter rattling in the inspection plate...

At this point I am pretty sure the torque converter they sent me pretty much exploded.

Am going to pull the starter and inspection plate tomorrow and see the damage..

Pretty sure I will need a new torque converter, and will have to pull the tranny again...

Any suggestions on a good torque converter?
Old 12-12-2014, 08:09 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,017 Posts

I believe it might be time to consider a "monetary solution" between yourself and whoever the vendor/seller you negotiated this deal with. There's been way to many curves tossed your way and if this is another I believe I'd do what I needed to do to make it the last and "final"!

At some point the sale becomes final and then it's an "all on you" project again. You've had a rather educational experience BUT at quite an expense I'd say also.

It's time to I believe mention the "seller"!
Old 12-12-2014, 10:48 AM
strotter13
Instructor

I am with you on that. As soon as they send me a tracking number for the valve body, I am going to report to them what happened, then I will tell them I would like my money back, and I am not shipping the transmission back to them, unless the pay freight. I will list the seller after I finish speaking with them. I don't want to throw them under the bus, until my but is covered.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:36 AM
strotter13
Instructor

Ok here is what happenned, a balancer weight is what came off. No holes or anything in the torque converter, just the balancer weight is off. Can I have someone weld this back on? Can I run without it?

The leak is coming from the front pan gasket, and when I put the inspection cover on, I kind of had to jam it into that area to get it to fit. I am going to try to re torque the pan bolts, and then wait for your guys feedback on what I should do with the converter.

Last edited by strotter13; 12-12-2014 at 11:39 AM.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:18 AM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Received 539 Likes on 347 Posts

Man, I really feel for you. Believe me when I say I take no joy in saying this, but I told you long time ago to rid yourself of this mess. At this stage, you have nothing to lose by trying to spot weld the weight back on. Oil in the converter should dissipate the heat produced. I would drill a 1/4 hole in each end of the weight and weld in these holes. The metal removed by drilling hopefully will match the added weight of the weld itself.
Old 12-14-2014, 11:45 AM
strotter13
Instructor

I had my welder buddy come by and he is going to give it a shot.
Old 12-14-2014, 03:06 PM
strotter13
Instructor

Really learned my lesson on this one. My worry is that if I buy a torque converter that fits the mystery tranny they sent me, will it fit my old tranny once I rebuild it? I am having trouble finding a torque converter for a 1992 Corvette. And looking in the ATSG it says that I need a 298 mm converter, im not sure what this means.

So Ill let you know how the welding goes next week.

In the mean time I have put in a case with the tranny people, stating that I will ship them back everything they sent me, but I want all of my money back including shipping. I think that is more then fair, after the danger they put my car in (with the piece flying off), and all of the labor I have done swapping valve bodys and all of the time I had to wait with this.
Old 12-15-2014, 03:18 PM
strotter13
Instructor

I am sending tranny back next Monday, they are paying return shipping, and I am getting a full refund. I will post when that happens... Lesson learned here. Now I am going to rebuild my old tranny, and use it, as well as buy a new torque converter.
Old 12-15-2014, 03:49 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

That is great news. Sounds like a standup seller.

If this gets completed as well as it might let us know who it is. Making a mistake can happen to anyone. The difference between bad and good is how you handle your mistakes and make them right.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:34 PM
strotter13
Instructor

I agree, the seller is good, I mean they tried to get me everything correctly, I think there main issue is the head mechanic, the guy that always rushed me off the phone and told me to ound steel ***** I to the holes on the valve body he sent. But the people running the company are doing right. I will let you guys know how it turns out.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:59 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by strotter13
I am sending tranny back next Monday, they are paying return shipping, and I am getting a full refund. I will post when that happens... Lesson learned here. Now I am going to rebuild my old tranny, and use it, as well as buy a new torque converter.
Hope things work out for you. Looks like they are trying to do good for you. Seems to be the trend these days - inadequate people working for companies and their only concern is when is payday and what time is my break. I don't know about your country, but up here in Canada, companies are forced to hire foreign workers because they have a work ethic and can be counted on to show up five times in a row.
Old 12-19-2014, 02:35 PM
strotter13
Instructor

I pulled the tranny out in 2 hours 8 minutes this morning (granted, the starter and inspection plate were already off, as well as one of the cats.

FYI: The cat on the driver side does not need to be pulled to remove the tranny.

The trick to getting that ladder in and out is have the tranny jacked up fairly high, about a half inch above its naturaul position.

The tranny can be taken out with the car only 17" in the air (at the doors).

They are coming to pick up the tranny Monday, and then it should take a week or so to get back. Then they will refund the money. At that point I will name the seller.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:11 AM
strotter13
Instructor

The tranny has landed in Florida at the shop, they said once they receive it and inspect it they will refund my money... here is the sellers details. I will let you know how it turns out.

ebay seller ID: dannystrannys

online store: www.transdepot.net

This Business is not BBB Accredited

Transmission Depot, Inc.

Phone: (727) 868-9462Fax: (727) 863-9681View Additional Phone Numbers9538 State Road 52, Hudson, FL 34669-3001http://www.transdepot.net

BBB Accreditation

On 08/21/2014 this company's accreditation in the BBB was revoked by the BBB's Board of Directors due to failure to participate in BBB arbitration despite pre-committing to do so and unresolved complaint(s).

Businesses are under no obligation to seek BBB accreditation, and some businesses are not accredited because they have not sought BBB accreditation.

To be accredited by BBB, a business must apply for accreditation and BBB must determine that the business meets BBB accreditation standards, which include a commitment to make a good faith effort to resolve any consumer complaints. BBB Accredited Businesses must pay a fee for accreditation review/monitoring and for support of BBB services to the public.

I have decided that through it all (my 20 or so hours of lost labor, my 60 dollars of lost transmission fluid, and my lost of my vette for a month) I will leave positive feedback on the ebay transaction as long as they give me a complete full refund. I think they have management that is trying to run a good business, but mechanics or a head mechanic that are rushing things and making bad decisions.
Old 12-31-2014, 06:57 PM
strotter13
Instructor

Contacted seller today as no refund has been issued yet. They said they had to have a manager sign off on it and it would be mid next week. I responded and let them know I was understanding because of the holidays however if I did not receive a refund by Tuesday jan 6th I would move further with the dispute. Will keep everyone posted.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:55 AM
strotter13
Instructor

Still had not received a refund this morning. Filed a dispute on my credit card, and left negative feedback for the seller. Seller immediately responded and refunded the original 800 that was the cost of the transmission. I responded that I would consider revising the feedback after the shipping charges were refunded. They said that they would need approval from the owner. I will keep everyone posted on the outcome.

BIG PITA.....
Old 01-06-2015, 10:20 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

I bought a "built" transmission on ebay years age. It was garbage. The dealer disappeared along with his phone #. I lost.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:20 AM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by strotter13
Still had not received a refund this morning. Filed a dispute on my credit card, and left negative feedback for the seller. Seller immediately responded and refunded the original 800 that was the cost of the transmission. I responded that I would consider revising the feedback after the shipping charges were refunded. They said that they would need approval from the owner. I will keep everyone posted on the outcome.

BIG PITA.....
Today's business world really does get tiring doesn't it? The mantra seems to be "Maximum return for minimum effort". Hope you get everything coming that is owed. You have had a rough go with these culprits.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:45 AM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

Sometimes what appears to be a good deal isn't. Although I seem to be out of my tranny problems I had 4 years of trouble with my 4L60 (93 so non E) and even in the 90's I had to pay well over a grand for a good rebuild or $1500 plus installation for a new OEM 4L60. I may have been able to kill the 3/4 clutches in any of them but each time I did start with a good tranny or a quality rebuild. $800 may just be too cheap to get a quality remanufactured transmission.

My poor wife had to drive a Honda Prelude for over 2 years in the 80's with no reverse (think about how much prethinking that entailed) because we simply couldn't afford a rebuild or remanufactured transmission for it. And when I finally saved my pennies it still cost us $1260 to have that bought and R&Rd.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:27 PM
strotter13
Instructor

Alright! These guys did right by me. I received the full refund including shipping. My only loss was my install time and 60 bucks in tranny fluid.

Quick Reply: 1992 Corvette 4L60 Transmission 4 pin or 5 pin?