C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

92 LT1 wont start after smacking ecm

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 06:20 PM
vetdrem
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 LT1 wont start after smacking ecm

I have been having an intermittent starting issue. Some days it starts right up and some times it will not start. On the times it does not start, there is no sound at all. And the battery will still have 12 volts +. I can usually put a set of jumper cables on it and hook it up to someone else's car that is running and then it will start right up. The other day it would not start and I hooked up jumper cables to it, it started up but was idling at a very high rate. I could not get it to idle down so i smacked the ecm computer under the hood real hard which caused the car to die. Now it just turns over but will not start. I checked for trouble codes by jumping a to g like i have in the past but now only the sys flashes 3 times and no codes are given.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:04 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Just like a woman, probably didn't like the hard smack. Sounds like you need a new one. Good thing they don't put you in jail for ecm abuse.
Old 11-22-2014, 04:28 PM
vetdrem
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 383vett
Just like a woman, probably didn't like the hard smack. Sounds like you need a new one. Good thing they don't put you in jail for ecm abuse.
You got that right! Lol Anyway, the fuel pump is not coming on when I turn the key to the on position now. Could me smacking the ecm cause this to happen because of not communicating?
Old 11-22-2014, 06:17 PM
N42375
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

What you had was most likely a component failing on the ECM pc board or a bad connection on the wire harness. The technical term for smacking the ecm was " doing a Fonzi" according to my mechanic. My 90 coupe had an intermittent issue this summer. It would run great for 4 days, then on day 5 it would stumble and quit after 4 blocks. My mechanic told me do a Fonzi on the ecm. One of two things will happen- it will get a lot worse or get a lot better. I got lucky, my ran perfect the next day so I could drive the 40 miles to get a new unit installed. For what's it worth, the first replacement unit was defective-the car wouldn't even fire. The good news is that the ecm only costs about $115 and is easy to install. with my new ecm, my car seems to have a little more zip and the gas mileage improved by about 1.5 MPG. Good luck.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:45 AM
1stVetteFinally
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by N42375
What you had was most likely a component failing on the ECM pc board or a bad connection on the wire harness. The technical term for smacking the ecm was " doing a Fonzi" according to my mechanic. My 90 coupe had an intermittent issue this summer. It would run great for 4 days, then on day 5 it would stumble and quit after 4 blocks. My mechanic told me do a Fonzi on the ecm. One of two things will happen- it will get a lot worse or get a lot better. I got lucky, my ran perfect the next day so I could drive the 40 miles to get a new unit installed. For what's it worth, the first replacement unit was defective-the car wouldn't even fire. The good news is that the ecm only costs about $115 and is easy to install. with my new ecm, my car seems to have a little more zip and the gas mileage improved by about 1.5 MPG. Good luck.
Where did you find a new ECM for a C4? They have been impossible for me to find?
Old 11-23-2014, 09:14 AM
aDigitalPhantom
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 1stVetteFinally
Where did you find a new ECM for a C4? They have been impossible for me to find?
From what I have seen only the 92-93 are hard to find.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:04 AM
1stVetteFinally
Pro

Originally Posted by chevyowner
figures
Old 11-23-2014, 12:44 PM
N42375
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

The ecm for my 90 was obtained thru corvette sports. Contact them at 920-467-2833. Ask for Joel. They specialize in ALL year Corvette repair and restorations. Located in Sheboygan Falls, Wisconsin
Old 11-23-2014, 12:48 PM
aDigitalPhantom
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by N42375
The ecm for my 90 was obtained thru corvette sports. Contact them at 920-467-2833. Ask for Joel. They specialize in ALL year Corvette repair and restorations. Located in Sheboygan Falls, Wisconsin
The 92-93 has a different PCM then the 90-91. IIRC the 90-91 ECM was a 1227727. This ECM was also on tons of cars with the 3.1 V6. From my experiance the only thing you need to change on one from a V6 is the PROM to the Corvette PROM then it will work correctly.
Old 11-23-2014, 01:42 PM
jispr
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Autozone $170.00 Cardon reman. your eprom
Old 11-23-2014, 06:48 PM
THE 383 admiral
Melting Slicks

Received 199 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by vetdrem
I have been having an intermittent starting issue. Some days it starts right up and some times it will not start. On the times it does not start, there is no sound at all. And the battery will still have 12 volts +. I can usually put a set of jumper cables on it and hook it up to someone else's car that is running and then it will start right up. The other day it would not start and I hooked up jumper cables to it, it started up but was idling at a very high rate. I could not get it to idle down so i smacked the ecm computer under the hood real hard which caused the car to die. Now it just turns over but will not start. I checked for trouble codes by jumping a to g like i have in the past but now only the sys flashes 3 times and no codes are given.
Open the ECU re-seat the prom carrier.
then re-seat the harness connectors.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:47 PM
1stVetteFinally
Pro

Yes they are. Best I have found is shops that rebuild your ECM for you. Priced about the same as buying a new one (when they were available). With shipping costs, it'll cost me about $200 to get it done.

It's so much of an issue that I'm considering ripping out all three control modules and rewiring my car. Screw ASR, and I can do an aftermarket ABS. Biggest problem with that is how to get the dash instrument cluster to work.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:09 PM
aDigitalPhantom
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 1stVetteFinally
Yes they are. Best I have found is shops that rebuild your ECM for you. Priced about the same as buying a new one (when they were available). With shipping costs, it'll cost me about $200 to get it done.

It's so much of an issue that I'm considering ripping out all three control modules and rewiring my car. Screw ASR, and I can do an aftermarket ABS. Biggest problem with that is how to get the dash instrument cluster to work.
The tachometer, speedometer, coolant temp, volt gauge, fuel level will all work with out the factory ECM. I think the Oil temp would work also. The fuel economy readings would not, but every else should as far as I know.

PS
The speedometer would still need something to connect it, but it does not need to be the factory PCM.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:53 PM
1stVetteFinally
Pro

The tachometer, speedometer, coolant temp, volt gauge, fuel level will all work with out the factory ECM. I think the Oil temp would work also. The fuel economy readings would not, but every else should as far as I know.

PS
The speedometer would still need something to connect it, but it does not need to be the factory PCM.
Like what? I was sure the gauges would work, but I didn't think the speedometer would without the factory ecm

Get notified of new replies

To 92 LT1 wont start after smacking ecm

Quick Reply: 92 LT1 wont start after smacking ecm