C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

92/93 4L60/700R4 (5 Pin) to 700R4/4L60 (4 Pin)

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 09:25 PM
strotter13
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 92/93 4L60/700R4 (5 Pin) to 700R4/4L60 (4 Pin)

Ok here is the problem:

I ordered a 700R4/4L60 transmission for my 1992 Corvette. The transmission came and it is has a 4 pin (3 wire, one pin is just a dummy pin) connector. My corvette, and all other 1992 and 1993 corvettes have a 5 pin connector.

The 3 wire/4 pin connector is as follows:
1 Wire - Tell the computer the vehicle is in fourth gear
1 Wire - Hot wire for TCC
1 Wire - Ground

The 5 wire/5 pin connector is as follows
1 wire - tell the computer the vehicle is in 4th gear
1 wire - tell the computer the vehicle is in 3rd gear
1 wire - tell the computer the vehicle is in 2nd gear
1 wire - hot wire for TCC
1 wire - ground

Correct me if I am wrong, but this is how I understand it. The computer/ecu/ecm on the 3 wire system is notified when the car is in 4th gear, so it can engage/lockup the torque converter.

The computer on the 5 wire system is notfied when the car is in second third or fourth gear, and probably based on vehicle speed, throttle position and a lot of other stuff that I don't know about, it will lock up the torque converter.

So I think that technically (maybe??), I could just hook up the 4th gear wire to the 4th gear wire, and the ground to the ground and the 2nd and 3rd gear wires get capped. The car will probably run, throwing codes, get worse gas mileage, and not convert power as good, but it would work??

I want to do this right though. Has anyone else been in the same situation, and do they know what it entails to convert the transmission to a 5 pin? Do I have to swap the valve body? What do I have to do to get this done right? Thanks for any help.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:45 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by strotter13
Correct me if I am wrong, but this is how I understand it. The computer/ecu/ecm on the 3 wire system is notified when the car is in 4th gear, so it can engage/lockup the torque converter.
The ECM locks up the torque converter based on vehicle speed. In my car it's 40 MPH. It does not matter what gear the trans is in. In my car the 4th gear switch is used to tell the ECM that the trans is in OD. If it is in D and the speed exceeds 40 MPH it will turn on the upshift light to tell you to shift into OD for better gas mileage.

Check this thread. Somebody with exactly the opposite problem (5 pin trans, 4 pin car):

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...lp-please.html

You can buy the internal harness for the trans, which comes with the correct 5 pin connector. I would think you would also need the correct valve body. The earlier ones had no places to screw in the switches.

Quick Reply: 92/93 4L60/700R4 (5 Pin) to 700R4/4L60 (4 Pin)