C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Can all front seals be replaced with the engine in the car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 09:51 PM
8a8mfh
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Can all front seals be replaced with the engine in the car?

I have a 1993 LT1. Right now I'm in the middle of changing the rear main seal, and rebuilding the transmission. Also replacing the exhaust manifolds due to cracks/leaks.

I bought the timing cover gasket set with three seals and the gasket. It doesn't look like theres enough room between the bottom pulley and frame to work in there. Whats needed to change the seals? Engine need to be lifted? I searched...
Old 11-22-2014, 12:03 PM
charliet615
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

You know, that is a very good question..My front seal leaks, which i understand is common, so i went to Mobile one high mileage 5w-30 to see if that will help. Too soon yet to tell..Mabey someone else can help or chime in on changing the front seal..Good Question.
Old 11-22-2014, 12:22 PM
Silver96ce
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

On an LT1 to change the timing cover seals properly, you should remove the cover. In order to do that, you have to drop the oil pan. That's because the bottom of the timing cover is fitted to the front of the oil pan. Over the summer, I changed all of the engine gaskets and seals except for the rear main. Per the FSM, I removed the exhaust, passenger cat, starter, oil filter adapter, harmonic balancer (both pieces), opti and water pump among other things to access the timing cover. Before it seemed like I had oil leaks everywhere - China walls, opti seal, crank seal. Now I hope it stays dry in there for awhile.

After I finished everything up, I found that the trans gasket is leaking. I had thought that the oil leaks were flowing back onto the trans pan but I was wrong.
Old 11-22-2014, 03:47 PM
8a8mfh
Racer

Well theres nothing like the satisfaction of knowing it will be fixed.
I pryed this at the notches on the outside and this is how it came out.
Old 11-28-2014, 07:25 PM
8a8mfh
Racer

Well I did the front today. Took about 6 hours including running around to get parts. Apparently my shortblock is not a '93 as suspected in another thread. I had to get the timing set with the big opti seal.

Get notified of new replies

To Can all front seals be replaced with the engine in the car?

Quick Reply: Can all front seals be replaced with the engine in the car?