C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

How to Change Oxygen Sensors

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 09:01 PM
Dr_Shakalu
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default How to Change Oxygen Sensors

Well, just picked up 2 upstream oxygen sensors and 22mm open end wrench. I have the FSM and removal and installation of the sensors seems pretty straight forward...BUT, when I went to take off the old sensors, there's barely enough room to even put my hand on it. How are everyone changing the sensors. It's dark out know but I was wondering if it would be easier to change the sensors by taking off the inner wheel wells. Is this the way to do it? I just called my mechanic and he said the labor would be $150. If there's no easier way, I'm just going to bite the bullet and have him change them. Thanks, Ed.
Old 11-22-2014, 09:36 PM
Silver96ce
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

I used a socket like this with a long handled breaker bar -

CTA Tools 2065 Heavy Duty Oxygen Sensor Socket - - Amazon.com CTA Tools 2065 Heavy Duty Oxygen Sensor Socket - - Amazon.com

The extended arm made it easier to use.

I recently came across this socket which looks like it may do the trick a little better -

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/l...390/99983972-P

Old 11-22-2014, 09:52 PM
Dr_Shakalu
Racer

Originally Posted by Silver96ce
I used a socket like this with a long handled breaker bar -

CTA Tools 2065 Heavy Duty Oxygen Sensor Socket - - Amazon.com

The extended arm made it easier to use.

I recently came across this socket which looks like it may do the trick a little better -

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/l...390/99983972-P

I saw a socket like the ones you showed at Napa Auto. The problem is, how did you get to the oxygen sensors. From the top, bottom or fender well? There's not much space. Also, what parts did you have to take off in any?
Old 11-22-2014, 10:00 PM
Ed Ramberger
Drifting

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr_Shakalu
Well, just picked up 2 upstream oxygen sensors and 22mm open end wrench. I have the FSM and removal and installation of the sensors seems pretty straight forward...BUT, when I went to take off the old sensors, there's barely enough room to even put my hand on it. How are everyone changing the sensors. It's dark out know but I was wondering if it would be easier to change the sensors by taking off the inner wheel wells. Is this the way to do it? I just called my mechanic and he said the labor would be $150. If there's no easier way, I'm just going to bite the bullet and have him change them. Thanks, Ed.
I forget if I did the driver side from above or below last summer. I used an oxygen sensor socket that has 12 point and 6 point sides (see link below for a similar one.) I also used a long extension (I think it's about 30") on the pass side. Broke the sensor loose, unplugged it and turned it out. Didn't have to take any parts off the car. Honestly I forget exactly when I was above and below but with the right socket and the right extensions you should be good.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/281485879097?lpid=82

Last edited by Ed Ramberger; 11-22-2014 at 10:02 PM.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:06 PM
Dr_Shakalu
Racer

Thanks guys. I'll take a better look tomorrow during daylight to see which way is the best to get to the sensors. $150 for my mechanic to change them will be my last resort if I can't do them myself. This car is giving me headaches but I feel good after fixing something myself. Keep the advice coming if you remember anything else, Ed.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:10 PM
Silver96ce
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Sorry to respond slowly. I got the sensors out from under the car. I don't think I could see them from above. I didn't have to take any parts off to remove them from under the car.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:13 PM
Dr_Shakalu
Racer

Thanks again. Just called Oreilly Auto and they have the socket in stock. Going there in the morning. Wish me luck.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:52 AM
Bobby Brewsky
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

You don't mention a year.

I just did my 96 LT1 A4 this year. What a pain in the ****, but, I did it, after much research on this forum.

Mine had four. I changed them all out because I wasn't going under there again. Others mentioned to change them all out for many reasons including all four calibrations matching for the cars brain. YMMV

In hindsight, Rock Auto had the preferred O2 (Denso?) sensor for half of what I paid locally for mine. Many don't like Bosch. I guess I thought it be better to return one if I bought local and had a problem.

I ended up removing the entire exhaust. The RH post cat was probably the biggest pain. I don't know how all these people get them from above. It was impossible for mine.

What others also didn't mention is reaching the pigtails to disconnect them. Sure, I might have got one of those wonder wrenches on them to get them off, but I could not get to the pigtail without potentially breaking it off. Yeah, I could see them, but to reach up blindly and attempt to pull apart an old, tired, brittle connection, maybe one handed because I couldn't get even my small hands up to them, wasn't going to work for me...maybe others, IDK.

There just wasn't enough slack in the wire harness to get the pigtail far enough down to undo it. On top of that, one of the wires was looped around the dipstick bracket from the factory and was impossible to see until I cut the wire on the O2 sensor and pulled it from around the bracket. Right, then I only had another inch of slack to play with which still left it quite a ways up in the tunnel next to the bell housing...

In the end, it all worked out and I was content that I climbed the mountain and got back down safe...with my sense of accomplishment. Most certainly an exercise in patience...LOL, most friends laughed at me and told they would have taken it in before I ever got started.

Best of luck to you
Old 11-23-2014, 02:57 PM
Dr_Shakalu
Racer

Sorry. The car's a 1996 Coupe automatic. Just picked up the socket and about to start working on the oxygen sensors.
Old 11-23-2014, 03:21 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

My recommendation is spray it with some penetrating oil and let it sit a little, and/or let the engine warm up the pipes a little so the bung expands a bit.

If you do it cold you'll have a hell of a time getting it to move. I broke my O2 socket once.

Get notified of new replies

To How to Change Oxygen Sensors

Quick Reply: How to Change Oxygen Sensors