C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1996 Cracked Targa Top

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 07:38 AM
PcolaPaul
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1996 Cracked Targa Top

Ugh!!
Had a cold night with a frost and a warm morning. Jumped in the car for a short trip and heard a loud pop. My blue tinted top developed a 6 inch crack just to the left of the rear view towards the center of the top.
I know the solution, a new top, but being this close to Christmas I would love to postpone the pricey purchase for a few months.

Here is my solution for a temporary fix...
Drill a small hole with a sharp drill bit at trailing edge of the crack to prevent further cracking. Apply a carbon fiber look vinyl wrap typically used on rice burner hoods over the exterior of the targa. This will at least prevent water intrusion and buy me some time until I decide a proper repair.
I would prefer a fiberglass roof panel, was never crazy about the acrylic roof anyway because of the hot Florida Sunshine. Hopefully I can find one and paint to match the body color.
Any suggestions?? Wanna buy a nice collectors edition cheap?? Dam Vettes.. Love to hate em!
Old 11-27-2014, 10:34 AM
2fast4ya
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My top cracked also, I got a fiberglass top recently off ebay from fparts( a salvage company)for $655 shipped. Very happy with it just had one small scratch they touched up and the headliner came loose but I had that fixed for $60. Much quieter ride even better after I installed anti squeak kit.

Quick Reply: 1996 Cracked Targa Top