C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Hood Latch

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 03:10 PM
GRKLGHTNG
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Hood Latch

Hi there, I'm wondering if anyone out there has ever seen this. The hood latch on the pass side seems to have slack in it. In other words, when you look at the drivers side the hood seems to close tighter, and when you push down on the hood, in the area over the latch, you don't feel any give. However, on the pass side, there seems to be a bigger gap in the hood/door and hood/side gill panel. Also, you can push down on the hood and it'll spring back up. It's almost as if it's not latching all the way on the pass side. I tried messing with the rubber bump stop height unsuccessfully. Any advise on this? Thanks in advance!
Old 12-03-2014, 04:00 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

Assuming all the latches, springs, etc. are in good condition and not loose, you might try adjusting the rod part (on the hood) that hooks into the latch (on the chassis). If you unscrew the locknut that locks the rod into the hood, it can be screwed deeper into the hood which will make the reach shorter, which in theory should pull that side down further and take up the slack. I suggest starting with a small adjustment and see if it makes any difference and go from there.
Old 12-03-2014, 04:27 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Is the dagger pin in the hood too long or too short? Set the hood down slowly so you're sure the latch doesn't snap closed. Push down on that corner. Does the latch snap closed? If yes and there's too much play, the pin is too long. If no, the pin is too short.
On my '84, I needed to remove the hood mounting plate in order to get at the lock nut on the dagger pin. If yours is the same, mark the location of the plate so you can put it back in the same place.

Get notified of new replies

To Hood Latch

Quick Reply: Hood Latch