C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Sound of My Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 07:21 PM
Dr_Shakalu
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Sound of My Exhaust

Hey everyone. Just added an X-pipe to my exhaust. No resonator and no mufflers. The drone I was getting from the resonator is now gone and I can actually have a quiet conversation, well until I floor it!!! What do you guys and girls think?
Old 12-06-2014, 10:28 AM
volkswagens-for-life
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds pretty damn good where i'm sitting
Old 12-06-2014, 01:58 PM
Dr_Shakalu
Racer

Thanks.
Old 12-06-2014, 03:43 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by volkswagens-for-life
Sounds pretty damn good where i'm sitting
I agree.
Old 12-07-2014, 04:24 PM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

So you removed the resonator and replaced with an x-pipe to get rid of drone? Sounds really good.

Last edited by TorchTarga94; 12-07-2014 at 04:27 PM.
Old 12-07-2014, 05:10 PM
Dr_Shakalu
Racer

Originally Posted by TorchTarga94
So you removed the resonator and replaced with an x-pipe to get rid of drone? Sounds really good.
I originally removed the resonator and replaced it with an X-pipe to get a smoother flowing exhaust. Now, the exhaust exits the manifolds, goes thru the X-pipe and to the tail pipes with no muffler. When I first deleted the mufflers, there was droning in the cabin that got louder the faster I drove. The resonator sits under the cabin of the car and is almost like a muffler. Both pipes from the manifold go thru the resonator before exiting out the back. If you cut open the resonator, you can see that the pipes that go thru the resonator has holes in them. The exhaust goes in the resonator and exits thru the holes in the resonator before going back out. The exhaust bouncing around in the resonator caused the droning. It's incredible how quiet it is in the car now. Should have done it sooner.
Old 12-08-2014, 02:00 AM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Good luck to you, as long as you are happy that is the main thing.

In my case the problem is the drone is always there when just touching the accelerator, like cruising 20,30,50,60,70mph everywhere.
I had my original mufflers replaced with a straight thru type,even after i said i wanted it quiet,, man was it loud. Everyone always commented on how good the vette sounded, but hey all i heard was the drone mainly.
Well the drone got to me and i found a pair of second hand standard mufflers, ah the car is so much nicer to drive with standard mufflers.

Perhaps i am too old.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:27 PM
Dr_Shakalu
Racer

Originally Posted by gerardvg
Good luck to you, as long as you are happy that is the main thing.

In my case the problem is the drone is always there when just touching the accelerator, like cruising 20,30,50,60,70mph everywhere.
I had my original mufflers replaced with a straight thru type,even after i said i wanted it quiet,, man was it loud. Everyone always commented on how good the vette sounded, but hey all i heard was the drone mainly.
Well the drone got to me and i found a pair of second hand standard mufflers, ah the car is so much nicer to drive with standard mufflers.

Perhaps i am too old.
I know what you mean. When I first deleted my mufflers, it sounded great on the outside but there was the constant droning which got louder the faster you drive. It made me question whether I should have kept the mufflers on because the droning was so bad in the car, it felt like little vibrations. Saw someone on this forum buy and install an X-pipe and now it sounds great outside and is pretty quiet in the car. This is the X-pipe
Amazon.com: Lawson Industries 66925 Stainless Steel Stamped X-Pipe: Automotive Amazon.com: Lawson Industries 66925 Stainless Steel Stamped X-Pipe: Automotive
. Installation was about $75.00 but well worth it. Give it a try. Cost isn't too much.

Get notified of new replies

To Sound of My Exhaust

Quick Reply: Sound of My Exhaust