C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Which stand alone edit system would u buy

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 08:04 PM
pipe
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Which stand alone edit system would u buy

Was wondering which system you guys would buy. I have a 88 vette with a pretty stoudt 383 in it. I'm going to bracket race it but also take it to cruise night and car shows. Was thinking of the fast ez Efi unit or the Holley hp. Both can be tuned by hand held or lap top and also can self learn when hitting the car shows. Guess I better brush up on how to tune. Thanks for any input. Pipe
Old 12-06-2014, 02:07 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

I have heard good things about the fast ez efi system and I am leaning toward that with my current 406 setup. I am now using an ancient ACCEL gen 6 unit which works fine, but I might be leaving a few tenths on the table. My C4 is also a bracket car.
Old 12-08-2014, 03:08 PM
pipe
Drifting

Default sorry for the mis spelling

was supposed to say which Efi system would you buy stupid meThanks for the reply Willie I kinda like the EZ efi system also. My friends say go with a carb. It came with injection so im going to keep it that way. The Holley stand alone kit is $1500 for the hp the Fast ez efi kit $835 Willie I LOVE YOUR CAR MAN its SWEET. Wish I would have gone bigger cu in Pipe
Old 12-09-2014, 05:13 PM
cadmaniac
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

I was thinking about going that route a while back, but was also considering the Holley Averger Efi, because the computer can be laptop tuned (uses the same computer as their better efi units, and can be made to run the distributor timing as well. The older Ez-Efi cannot do that, and the new version cost a lot more that the old one.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:10 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by pipe
was supposed to say which Efi system would you buy stupid meThanks for the reply Willie I kinda like the EZ efi system also. My friends say go with a carb. It came with injection so im going to keep it that way. The Holley stand alone kit is $1500 for the hp the Fast ez efi kit $835 Willie I LOVE YOUR CAR MAN its SWEET. Wish I would have gone bigger cu in Pipe
Thanks Pipe. I carbed my 84 years ago. It ran ok, but because the hood seals so tightly, I had problems with fuel percolation, even with hood ducts. My car has always been consistent with both the SuperRam and now the miniram. One reason I think is because of my speed density ACCEL Gen 6. I have turned off all the nannies, air temperature correction, water temperature correction, knock retard etc. The car runs with the same parameters run after run and track conditions become the only variable. I know the car can run quicker if everything were optimized, but I run a conservative tune that isn't on the edge and allows for very repeatable runs. I used to run a knock sensor and more timing, but I found that if the sensor picked up knock, it would cut back timing and car would not run its dial.

Last edited by 383vett; 12-10-2014 at 01:16 AM.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:24 PM
pipe
Drifting

Thanks for your input Willie a friend of mine took off his stock fuel injection system and put on a carb and said it was a second quicker. I like your trophy room my trophies fit in a small shoe box lol I live about 10 minutes from maple grove drag way in reading pa. I'm always there. Pipe
Old 12-12-2014, 12:36 AM
rlane5
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Pipe have you ever thought using a harness and ECU from a 96 vette. It's an OBDII and programable, and you can trigger the distributor with the opti wires, plus you can add the coil packs. A stout engine will love the extra spark. I would have done that to mine if I had thought about it before I did the LQ4 swap.
Randy
Old 12-12-2014, 08:44 AM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

..... I used the Holley Commander 950 for years ... its very easy to tune via laptop and it controls timing as well ... very affordable and readily available used ... I briefly used the Avenger ECU ... the self learning aspect is great for those hard to get to RPM vs Load areas of the map and I am now using the Holley Dominator mainly because of the switch to a 4L60E transmission ... the Dominator controls that also ... Holley's Tech service guys are VERY good and available on Saturdays as well ..........
Old 12-15-2014, 08:28 PM
pipe
Drifting

Thanks for all the replys everyone. What happens to my stock ECM now doesn't it control some of the dash functions. Also the 88 had the esc and other items I'm not going to use. The car also had the 4 plus 3 trans in it and is changed over to the 700r4 I think that trans needs an electrical connection somewhere in the wiring harness. Was just wondering so many options to think about. Thanks in advance. Pipe
Old 12-16-2014, 10:03 PM
dt#2
Intl Council of Corvettes

Support Corvetteforum!

I am running a Holley HP on mine with no issues. I would go for the Dominator unit though because it allows for tranny control if you need it plus other provisions for adders and yes the self tune thing is great. I can hook up my laptop via USB and get real data and make changes if I desire... no issue. The 700R4 does not need the computer for anything and the speed is read straight to the odometer. I just switched from the 700 and went to the 4L60E with a stand alone controller for trans. I run the compushift and it works great as well but if I could turn back time I would have just picked the dominator and been done.
Old 12-17-2014, 01:07 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

What happens to my stock ECM now doesn't it control some of the dash functions.
The ECM sends injector pulse width to the dash. The dash uses the MPH to calculate MPG. The ECM also controls the SHIFT light.

The car also had the 4 plus 3 trans in it and is changed over to the 700r4 I think that trans needs an electrical connection somewhere in the wiring harness.
You should change the program in the ECM to the 700r4 programming. The ECM controls TCC lockup and uses the 4th gear switch in the 700r4 to tell when it's in OD. You'll probably have to move some pins in the ECM connectors to make these connections. There are also connections from the shifter switch to the ECM. That would be Park/Neutral. The ECM increases the idle RPM when the trans is in gear.

This chart shows the ECM connections for a 700r4:

http://home.earthlink.net/~cliff_har...s/pinouts.html

See pins A7, B10 and C7.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:10 PM
pipe
Drifting

Really appreciate all the replys. I better choose the easiest one to use and tune. Buying stuff for the ford 9 inch install now. Jenkins old driver is double checking my engine building skills to make sure I didn't screw anything up. Merry Xmas guys pipe

Get notified of new replies

To Which stand alone edit system would u buy

Quick Reply: Which stand alone edit system would u buy