C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

TPIS mini ram install on a 1990; coolant lines?

Old 12-08-2014, 01:13 AM
Danspeed1
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default TPIS mini ram install on a 1990; coolant lines?

Hello,

As the title states, I installed a TPIS miniram on a 1990 corvette. Car was apart for sometime, and I can't remember where all the lines go. The major issue actually is the coolant line that runs to the rear of the TPI manifold. There doesn't seem to be a port on the miniram in the rear. Whats the deal?

Any pictures would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks!
Old 12-08-2014, 10:11 AM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 227 Likes on 159 Posts

I just cut the little hose off short, stuck a stud in it and clamped it. That was about 10 years ago. You are going to love the Mini, I got .3 out of it in the 1/4. That was over an aftermarket TPI.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:52 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

That hose was added in an attempt to even cooling of our aluminum heads. It wasn't originally there and has been debated as effective. Not a problem to remove that "T" from your cooling circuit.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:31 PM
Danspeed1
Drifting

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
That hose was added in an attempt to even cooling of our aluminum heads. It wasn't originally there and has been debated as effective. Not a problem to remove that "T" from your cooling circuit.
Oh, interesting. So we are clear, that rear hose is a 1990 only attempt at helping to cool the engine, however previous cars did not have that hose and never had an issue? I just want to make sure i am not going to run into any overheating issues or warp the heads.

Thanks for the info!

Dan
Old 12-09-2014, 08:24 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Danspeed1
Oh, interesting. So we are clear, that rear hose is a 1990 only attempt at helping to cool the engine, however previous cars did not have that hose and never had an issue? I just want to make sure i am not going to run into any overheating issues or warp the heads.

Thanks for the info!

Dan
It's not 90 only, my 89 had that hose also...But when I installed my new motor I deleted the hose and have had no problems..Gm made quite a few "half azz" attempts at fixing things that should have just been left alone on the C4 Corvettes..Like running coolant through the throttle body , and putting a giant steel disk on the water pump.......WW
Old 12-09-2014, 11:06 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Originally Posted by WW7
It's not 90 only, my 89 had that hose also...But when I installed my new motor I deleted the hose and have had no problems..Gm made quite a few "half azz" attempts at fixing things that should have just been left alone on the C4 Corvettes..Like running coolant through the throttle body , and putting a giant steel disk on the water pump.......WW

Of course, sometimes there really was a problem -- that cut into profits with warrantly claims. Possibly the best explanation of what GM was trying to correct with that hose (and eventually did via gasket redesign) is written in this post:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1585727929
Old 12-09-2014, 10:28 PM
Danspeed1
Drifting

Originally Posted by WW7
Actually, that water pump disc never made it back on the motor after my rebuild. Not quite sure what the purpose was. Figured it was some sort of unnecessary balancer or a poor attempt of keeping the belt on.

DG
Old 12-10-2014, 07:36 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Danspeed1
Actually, that water pump disc never made it back on the motor after my rebuild. Not quite sure what the purpose was. Figured it was some sort of unnecessary balancer or a poor attempt of keeping the belt on.

DG
The disk, or (Frizbee as we like to call it) was to dampen the sudden surge when the a/c would kick on, this would cause a jerk motion in some cars according to what I've read...Most have removed it, with only a few noticing any difference at all....WW

Last edited by WW7; 12-10-2014 at 07:39 AM.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:26 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Originally Posted by WW7
The disk, or (Frizbee as we like to call it) was to dampen the sudden surge when the a/c would kick on, this would cause a jerk motion in some cars according to what I've read...Most have removed it, with only a few noticing any difference at all....WW

And think of it this way....

Have you ever noticed discussion of heavier versus lighter flywheels? Heavier ones are installed for a reason. They add weight (inertia) to the motor. As you engage a clutch, that inertia helps the motor keep spinning and resists the tendency to stall.

Lighter flywheels require a bit more revs/fuel to accomplish the same inertia. OTOH engines with lighter flywheels spin up faster because they don't have to overcome that inertia.

At an idle, that weight must have helped resist engine shudder. On ZF motors, the extra heavy flywheels provide enough inertia on their own. On automatics, the idle speed is set a bit higher. I don't know if the Frisbee started after 84 (or 85), so you gotta wonder exactly which motors it really helped?

Get notified of new replies

To TPIS mini ram install on a 1990; coolant lines?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TPIS mini ram install on a 1990; coolant lines?