C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1992 700R4/4L60 Transmission Rebuild with questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 09:05 PM
strotter13
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

300 Miles on the rebuilt transmission and she is still running like a dream. The fluid leak I had mentioned before at the dipstick hole, was definetly from the overflow when I initially put tranny fluid in, and not an actual leak. She does not leak a drop (thanks to all the expert advice on removal and install of the seals and bushings)!

Also, I read back through the ATSG manual and found that indeed I was looking at the thrust washer/bearing diagrams incorrectly, and they were drawn correctly. I put a phone call into ATSG about the pump diagram and a labeling on a valve body diagram that was incorrect, just to see if they cared or wanted to know. Sure enough they had someone call me back and he was really shocked at the pump diagram. He said, "I have looked at that pump diagram 1,000 times and never noticed that, but you are correct, we will fix it". It's was cool to see how much they actually cared. Good people.

So when do you guys reccommend my first tranny fluid change? The FSM says every 15,000 miles, but I am wondering if it should be sooner after the first rebuild?

I had so much fun rebuilding my vette transmission that I decided to rebuild another 700r4. I picked one up from a guy for 100 bucks, (its out of an 88 camaro, so it won't work with a vette unless I swapped a few things. I have it torn down and cleaned up, when I get back home on Friday I will begin assembling it

Thanks again everyone for your help.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:31 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Congratulations, you are indeed the man.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:52 PM
bjackson
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good job! Congrats! There's another manual I'd like to recommend in case you need it in your future transmission rebuilt. This guide was recommended to me which I downloaded at this site
http://www.4l60eguide.com/. It has a ton of information in it that helped me rebuild/repair 4l60e transmission. This book also includes useful diagrams and pictures, plus diagnosis and repair solutions.
Old 02-13-2015, 02:06 PM
strotter13
Instructor

Alright, even though its Friday the 13th, I just turned 1000 miles on the transmission that I rebuilt, with the help of a lot of cool people on this forum, and she is still running strong! I actually just WOT her when I saw a buddy, she dropped to first, ripped it through to second and then on to third. Shifts great! When my Dad rides in the car, he tells me, "punch it, I need my back popped" lol. Not sure if he is serious or not, but it does shift good!

Since my first rebuild, I rebuilt another 700r4, out of an 88 camaro. I sold it to a guy and he put it in his C10 pickup. It has worked good for him so far I now have a tranny out of a 93 vette, in my garage, that I am rebuilding

The projects have slowed down, as the spring semester has started and that mixed with my full time job is keeping me pretty busy! Monday is a holiday and I am hoping to get back on that tranny then.

Something I am noticing in the last two rebuilds is the 1-2 accumulator spring is completely broke into two or three pieces on them....

Thanks again everyone for the help! This will be my last post on this thread until I sell the car or the transmission breaks (I will list the mileage )

I have been getting 22 mpg average I drive a lot of highway miles, but I I am happy with!
Old 02-13-2015, 02:41 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Received 542 Likes on 350 Posts

Good stuff Steve! You should be all good. Maybe wouldn't hurt to put a guage on the pressure port and recheck.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:46 AM
psychodiagnostik
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by strotter13

Would this work with the ASR setup too? My FSM has me use the whole 1/8" drill bit and torque wrench method.
I've wondered whether there was any other method to set the TV cable on these particular models, including my '93. The drill bit/inch lbs seems terribly imprecise for such a critical setting.

I'm convinced a trans shop messed mine up years ago, when they fixed a trans pump leak, it never shifted correctly afterwards.

Thanks for such a thorough write up with pics!
Old 06-28-2017, 08:55 PM
strotter13
Instructor

Hey all I finally sold that vette about a year ago. I still see the guy that I sold the car to driving around all the time. I bet he has put at least 20k miles on it by now!!!

Anyhow in the meantime I bought a 2017 Corvette Stingray with the z51 package and I love it!!

Quick Reply: 1992 700R4/4L60 Transmission Rebuild with questions