C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

$$$ Building a ZR-1 Roadster

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 07:48 PM
ANTI VENOM
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Lt5

There are a couple on fleabay. Here
Old 12-18-2014, 12:58 PM
Hary Gahtoe
Drifting

Received 332 Likes on 219 Posts

I've got a lead for a write off that may be promising.
I work with an engineering Company and these guys have worked on some really challenging projects and they have agreed to build me motor mounts, wiring harness, bell housing whatever it takes
Old 12-18-2014, 01:55 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Cool, please start a post and document what you do. I would love to follow your progress.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:57 PM
aboatguy
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Polo Vert
Just about every post so far has told you it isn't a good idea but its your checkbook. You only need 105 horses to match the LT5 power output. Is there some particular reason you want to get those 105 horses in the most difficult way possible? Cuisinartvette hit it on the head. Some choice LT engine mods will net you more power for less work and coin than tearing apart your very clean roadster, buying a wreck, tearing that car apart and shoving parts into a chassis not made to hold them.
If I wanted stock ZR1 power levels all I'd have to do is remove a plug wire!

If you build your LT1 correctly you'll end up with more HP for less $$

Last edited by aboatguy; 12-20-2014 at 12:01 AM.
Old 12-26-2014, 03:29 AM
Hary Gahtoe
Drifting

So turns out the totaled car sale was going to be beyond the cost what I could part out the car and keep pertinent parts.
So next I made an offer on a not so well kept LT5 engine only, that also turned out far too expensive and I would've needed to source out a boat load of ancillary parts.
You guys were right. It can be accomplished 180* far easier.
I still want to improve my present car so I'll be working on most of my weaker points and strengthening them in unison. I'd rather drive a roadster with 350 whp, corresponding reworked C6 brakes and Coilovers shocks than a dressed up roadster with the ZR-1 motor.
It'll still be what I want, just in a more traditional form and done in short time blocks not months on end and much less cash
So this wasn't all for nothing. I learned a lot about my basic components thru all this and met and made friends with the guys at the legendary Art Morrison Frames and suspension. When I need some advice they definitely know a lot about modifying and fixing Corvette frames and suspensions.
Thanks to those who posted the tech help and personal perspectives along the way. It wasn't in vain
Old 12-26-2014, 04:20 AM
Polo Vert
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts

Concerning your type of power increase are you looking more for top end pull, low end torque, or a bit of both?
Old 12-26-2014, 12:49 PM
Hary Gahtoe
Drifting

Oh for sure, I'd love top end power and low end torque together but honestly I'm more pragmatic and I'll work towards a strong motor probably oem displacement with forged internals. Higher #'s are not my thing. I'll sacrifice some HP/torque for reliability and longevity.
Old 12-26-2014, 01:15 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by Hary Gahtoe
Oh for sure, I'd love top end power and low end torque together but honestly I'm more pragmatic and I'll work towards a strong motor probably oem displacement with forged internals. Higher #'s are not my thing. I'll sacrifice some HP/torque for reliability and longevity.
Once you go inside the engine for crank, rods and pistons it is silly to not do a 383.
Old 12-27-2014, 06:09 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Other threads in the past already on this. If you want a Zr1 for non resale, buy a salvaged title one. Look in the parts section there are people here parting whole cars that seem decent except title often. The money is silly to do that, Big block is almost just as rare and less involved. On the other hand 5K can get you around 600 hp big cube sbc. Than trans, rear, stall, etc. 15K if you like to blow money on a C4 will get you a respectable C4 convertible. If you want performance you started with the wrong car. If money is no object why bother with a C4 vert? Neat idea though.
Old 12-27-2014, 06:22 PM
aboatguy
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Hary Gahtoe
So turns out the totaled car sale was going to be beyond the cost what I could part out the car and keep pertinent parts.
So next I made an offer on a not so well kept LT5 engine only, that also turned out far too expensive and I would've needed to source out a boat load of ancillary parts.
You guys were right. It can be accomplished 180* far easier.
I still want to improve my present car so I'll be working on most of my weaker points and strengthening them in unison. I'd rather drive a roadster with 350 whp, corresponding reworked C6 brakes and Coilovers shocks than a dressed up roadster with the ZR-1 motor.
It'll still be what I want, just in a more traditional form and done in short time blocks not months on end and much less cash
So this wasn't all for nothing. I learned a lot about my basic components thru all this and met and made friends with the guys at the legendary Art Morrison Frames and suspension. When I need some advice they definitely know a lot about modifying and fixing Corvette frames and suspensions.
Thanks to those who posted the tech help and personal perspectives along the way. It wasn't in vain
350 rwhp HP is achievable using your stock short block. You're mildly ported heads, exhaust mods and a cam swap away! (Mustang dyno not dynojet )
Old 12-28-2014, 06:27 AM
Lloyd Smale
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

If its what you want do it. Don't worry about he naysayers. Personaly id like to see any lt1 build that makes 400hp with a plug wire pulled

Quick Reply: $$$ Building a ZR-1 Roadster