C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

84 overheating help please

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 03:22 PM
ToniJ1960
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Default 84 overheating help please

Ok my 84 is overheating. I had trouble before once or twice with the thermostat sticking I believe.

Well now the temps keep climbing over 230 even with the fan on.

I checked the radiator and of tank. OF was a little low not that much.

There is a small dribble at the heater control valve.

So Im thinking its one of two things. The thermostat sticking again, even though I remember yesterday the temp did drop when moving. Fan does run.

Or maybe Im losing pressure at that heater control valve and its starting to boil and once it gets boiling the fan wont bring it down.

Questions:

1. is there anything I could add to the coolant to try to unstick the thermostat?

2. how likely s the boiling scenario?

3. is there a `fail safe` thermostat I should get?

4. where can I find complete how to on bypassing that heater control valve?
Old 12-16-2014, 04:08 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

mine was an 85 just did it,

not sure if we share cooling systems but here is what i did:
get a new thermostat for 7$.
check all hoses for tight clamps.

fix your drip at the heater valve.

and when u buy the thermostat put two holes here: these were drilled.

then follow shop manual procedure for filling coolant.

notice the 1/8 inch holes drilled on the flange of the tstat. do this.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:29 PM
ToniJ1960
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
mine was an 85 just did it,

not sure if we share cooling systems but here is what i did:
get a new thermostat for 7$.
check all hoses for tight clamps.

fix your drip at the heater valve.

and when u buy the thermostat put two holes here: these were drilled.

then follow shop manual procedure for filling coolant.

notice the 1/8 inch holes drilled on the flange of the tstat. do this.
Is there any concern about drillings getting in there?

Also I just spoke with someone at a shop here and he tried to tell me all thermostats are designed to stick open if they fail and they learn that during their certification. Is he just full of it?

Last edited by ToniJ1960; 12-16-2014 at 04:33 PM.
Old 12-16-2014, 05:14 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 434 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by ToniJ1960

Also I just spoke with someone at a shop here and he tried to tell me all thermostats are designed to stick open if they fail and they learn that during their certification. Is he just full of it?
before you start pulling your hair out, Start off with the basics.
1) is the radiator clear of debris, look under the by the front license plate look at were the air enters Radiator/A/C. would be surprised what you will find. also look between Radiator and A/C, you do this from Right Front wheel area from under the hood. just follow lines there and look in..

2) is the coolant worn out / or weak, clean properly mixed coolant with a working thermostat is a must.

if the basics are good well then things get a bit more costly, like professional radiator cleaning or replacement and so. hopefully its one of those simple stupid problems with simple fix.

Last edited by s carter; 12-16-2014 at 05:27 PM.
Old 12-16-2014, 05:41 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

drill those holes before you install the gasket and place in the tstat housing.

i put mine on my carpet and drilled it.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:59 PM
ToniJ1960
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
drill those holes before you install the gasket and place in the tstat housing.

i put mine on my carpet and drilled it.
Nice looking Ninja too
Old 12-16-2014, 07:05 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Nice looking Ninja too
thnx. its an 88. i paid $500 bucks for it. put new vinyl on the seat from fabricland and polished it up and it really does look and drive excellent.

get compliments on it just like on my 87vette.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:49 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by s carter
look between Radiator and A/C, you do this from Right Front wheel area from under the hood. just follow lines there and look in..
Toni's car is an '84. That gap does not exist before 1990. You have to take the top of the radiator shroud off to see the area between the AC condenser and the radiator.

Since I just posted this in another thread I have a link in my clipboard:

I have foam rubber weatherstripping under my condenser so I get much less trash than otherwise.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:58 AM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

The basics above are a good start. The open/close function can be tested on a stovetop, with a thermometer reading water temp when the thermo opens.

I prefer Robert Shaw brand to Stant thermostats; run a 180 in mine. I found no need to drill any holes. The Stant's orifice is a fair bit smaller when fully open.

A huge clue is the "moving" temp drop. Sounds like the cooling system is okay IF there's adequate airflow, which apparently there is, when moving.

I'd check the fan running at full speed. They're neither expensive nor hard to change out.

Many threads here explain how to fully flush the system, including the block.

Last edited by whalepirot; 12-17-2014 at 01:04 AM.
Old 12-17-2014, 02:15 AM
ToniJ1960
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by whalepirot
The basics above are a good start. The open/close function can be tested on a stovetop, with a thermometer reading water temp when the thermo opens.

I prefer Robert Shaw brand to Stant thermostats; run a 180 in mine. I found no need to drill any holes. The Stant's orifice is a fair bit smaller when fully open.

A huge clue is the "moving" temp drop. Sounds like the cooling system is okay IF there's adequate airflow, which apparently there is, when moving.

I'd check the fan running at full speed. They're neither expensive nor hard to change out.

Many threads here explain how to fully flush the system, including the block.
I just had the fan replaced a couple moths ago and its spinning as it was the day it went in.

I think what made it begin to start dropping was hitting a bump and the thermostat maybe jarring open finally? It seemed like thats wht happened a few times whn it was sticking before too,a few months ago.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:04 AM
fpnmf
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cleaned out the radiator, new coolant, changed to a 180 therm and a 195 on/180 off fan switch (from corvette central) .. coolant temp stays around 185 now..
Old 12-17-2014, 01:15 PM
Silver96ce
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

I would recommend you (or your mechanic) do the following:
1. Full flush of engine block and heater core as per the FSM;
2. replace thermostat - drill holes per VikingTrad3r;
3. pull out radiator, flush it out and clean fins of debris;
3. clean ac condenser fins;
4. if hoses are more than a few years old - replace them;
5. if drive belt is more than a few years old - replace it;
6. check water pump for bearing wear and movement. If it is more than five years old you may want to think about replacing it;
7. refill with 50/50 mixture of antifreeze and distilled water - do not use tap water.

If you have not pulled and cleaned the radiator before, you may be surprised by the amount of debris, leaves, etc. that can be clogging up the fins. The same goes for the ac condenser.

The heater control valve looks pricey from a quick search I did. Me, I would replace it - but it's up to you to make that decision.

If you don't already have the Factory Service Manual (FSM) for your car - get one. Usually available on Ebay.

Regular maintenance is key for every car and especially for older cars like these. If I had what I believed to be a sticking thermostat, I would have fixed it (and done all of the above) before I drove the car again. If you seriously overheat one of these engines you might as well just open up your wallet to watch the money fly out.

Last edited by Silver96ce; 12-17-2014 at 01:20 PM.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:20 PM
ToniJ1960
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Silver96ce
I would recommend you (or your mechanic) do the following:
1. Full flush of engine block and heater core as per the FSM;
2. replace thermostat - drill holes per VikingTrad3r;
3. pull out radiator, flush it out and clean fins of debris;
3. clean ac condenser fins;
4. if hoses are more than a few years old - replace them;
5. if drive belt is more than a few years old - replace it;
6. check water pump for bearing wear and movement. If it is more than five years old you may want to think about replacing it;
7. refill with 50/50 mixture of antifreeze and distilled water - do not use tap water.

If you have not pulled and cleaned the radiator before, you may be surprised by the amount of debris, leaves, etc. that can be clogging up the fins. The same goes for the ac condenser.

The heater control valve looks pricey from a quick search I did. Me, I would replace it - but it's up to you to make that decision.

If you don't already have the Factory Service Manual (FSM) for your car - get one. Usually available on Ebay.

Regular maintenance is key for every car and especially for older cars like these. If I had what I believed to be a sticking thermostat, I would have fixed it (and done all of the above) before I drove the car again. If you seriously overheat one of these engines you might as well just open up your wallet to watch the money fly out.
Thanks, hoses are about 1.6 years old, fan motor a few months old, drive belt less than a year ago.

Im not concerned right now about flushing the radiator or about debris since once I hit a bump or something, temp drops from 230 to 195 in a few blocks. And stays around 190-195 even at stops and long idle.

Going for the thermostat if I feel comfortable doing it myself.

Does the 84 use a gasket or o ring?

Any type of gasket people prefer on here for an 84? Paper composite rubber etc.

I was thinking about the Murray ultra stat maybe 180.

Should I get a plastic scraper? Probably cant fit my plastic window scraper in there?

I think I remember hearing the 84 has iron heads so hitting 230 probably didnt hurt it for a few minutes.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:40 PM
fpnmf
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used the gasket that came with the stat.. A razor scraper got the old stuff out of there then I used some emery cloth to finish....
I read several threads where the bolts holding the housing broke or were stuck and hard to remove.. Mine is not a daily driver so I have the time to soak the bolts several times with PB blaster.. don't try to force them out.. Good luck!!
Old 12-17-2014, 07:05 PM
ToniJ1960
Burning Brakes

I could spray it with pb blaster drive it spray it again while its hot spray it again rinse repeat.

Better to try to take out the bolts warm or cold?

Also Im thinking, I havent been getting heat from the heater inside the car. I just thought thats from the heater control valve maybe being bad.

Could be air blocking something? Would this give me the cooling one day not the next issue?

Is there a simple way to check for this or something I can try to get the air out?

Sorry dont have the fsm still, if anyone has one for an 84 contact me.Otherwise ill be looking on ebay.

Last edited by ToniJ1960; 12-17-2014 at 08:29 PM.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:50 PM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

I think I remember hearing the 84 has iron heads so hitting 230 probably didnt hurt it for a few minutes.
You do have iron heads.

230° is normal temperature for these cars. Start worrying if it goes over 250°.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:37 AM
ToniJ1960
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
You do have iron heads.

230° is normal temperature for these cars. Start worrying if it goes over 250°.

It will though if it doesnt drop when I switch my fan on over 220 I know somethings wrong

Tonight I let it idle fan on it went up to 229 230 then back down to 210 for a minute and back up. It usually would stay around 190. Fan off it went up to 230 shut engine off it went to 233 right away, so I feel some coolant s circulating but not enough.

Something clogged up maybe and thats why no heat?

Get notified of new replies

To 84 overheating help please

Old 12-18-2014, 10:01 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

I hope you used the correct coolant when you refilled after the last thermo change. Look at your coolant.. hope it isn't brown.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:38 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ghoastrider1
I hope you used the correct coolant when you refilled after the last thermo change. Look at your coolant.. hope it isn't brown.
what he means is that we are supposed to use the oldschool coolant that looks like lemonade.

Regarding 230deg temps and no heat from heater core,

i had similar after i drained the coolant.
My heat was working before i did the drain and refill, was yours??

because mine was working fine before, it seemed like a low probability that it somehow blocked during a drain and refill.

So then i figured "air lock".

I wasnt able to build pressure in my upper rad hose, meaning that my tstat was closed or my water pump want working. it was making no noise and worked fine before the drain and refill sooooo....

so i installed the new tstat, drilled two holes in the flange which is there to release air trapped under the tstat (u get air in system when u drain and refill)

THEN I RAISED THE FRONT END ON JACK STANDS.

to encourage any air that was trapped in my heatercore to "rise up"

turn heater on max and fan on max.
filled reservoir to cold line (with the lemonade coloured coolant, not brown)
filled rad to top of cap.
leave cap of rad.
start car
watch the level in the rad its going to suddenly drop.
this means your tstat just opened
keep filling the rad to keep it full
when it stops taking fluid, wait for a bit.....i saw bunbles start to bubble in my rad for a short time then they stopped.
dont run it for more than a minute without the cap on after its been filled and u r looking for bubbles.
close cap.

check upper rad hose that is leaving tstat, should be warm and be filled with pressure
check lower hose, same deal.
check to and from hose at heater core, should be warm.

that should do it unless your waterpump is broke.
if this doesnt work, check back here and post results.

does your fan automatically come on or is it broke?
also, i wouldnt accept a 230 number either. both of mine (85&87) are capable of 180 degrees in the hottest summer day stuck in traffic).

after rereading your post, i would conduct a second drain and refill, pulling the knock sensor which is also a block plug and also pull the oil cooler line if u have one of those. and drain your rad and reservoir.

refill per above directions with the 2 holes in the tstat for air to escape.

if your rad was clogged, i would think u should still have hear from heatercore. unless that is clogged as well. my bet is on air lock.

Last edited by VikingTrad3r; 12-18-2014 at 11:48 AM.
Old 12-18-2014, 02:09 PM
ToniJ1960
Burning Brakes

The fan doesnt come on by itself when I got the car a little over a year ago it had a switch to turn on the fan.

I usually switch it on around 210 or somewhere near that,and it goes back to 190-195.

It had only water in the engine then, I drained it and put that green stuff in. There was some brown stuff at the top of the radiator I wiped it off the cap.

Someone said it could be rust that the new antifreeze is taking up.

Quick Reply: 84 overheating help please