C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

C4 Frame Stiffener

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 09:19 PM
dt#2
Intl Council of Corvettes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default C4 Frame Stiffener

Hello All,
One of my winter projects is to improve the suspension on the vette. So far I have upgraded the shocks to QA1s and poly bushings along with lowering it, but want to stiffen it up a bit. When I take my top off it rattles like crazy and does not feel as firm so I know it is something to do with the flexing in these things. I was reading some of the other posts talking about the X bar set up along with a Vette to Vette set up, but the site does not show anything for the C4. Anybody know if this is still available?
Old 12-16-2014, 10:52 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Originally Posted by dt#2
Hello All,
One of my winter projects is to improve the suspension on the vette. So far I have upgraded the shocks to QA1s and poly bushings along with lowering it, but want to stiffen it up a bit. When I take my top off it rattles like crazy and does not feel as firm so I know it is something to do with the flexing in these things. I was reading some of the other posts talking about the X bar set up along with a Vette to Vette set up, but the site does not show anything for the C4. Anybody know if this is still available?
i sure hope it is still available!!!! i want one for next year.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:07 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

I have been thinking about one too. It looks like it is still on their web site. They have a link on their home page that takes you to the product description page below.

https://www.vette2vette.com/?q=produ...r-bar-system-5
Old 12-17-2014, 10:27 AM
luckydekko
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Any added benefit to this upgrade if I dont have a vert or take my targa off? Thinking about racing in the future and wonder if this will add any value.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:55 PM
dt#2

Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for sending the link. I did notice that the years advertised are all for the C4s except 1985. Maybe a typo but I am going to contact them tomorrow and see.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:36 PM
dt#2

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by luckydekko
Any added benefit to this upgrade if I dont have a vert or take my targa off? Thinking about racing in the future and wonder if this will add any value.
I would think that this is what you need as well if you are going to race it. It helps to eliminate all of the unwanted motion in the body on an autocross type circuit, I plan on running mine down the 1/8 and 3/4 mile track to see how she does. Not going to be the fastest but I should be somewhat competitive once I get everything close.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:47 PM
luckydekko
Instructor

Very good! Might be one of my next upgrades as well then! Make a post when you get it, love to know more about this product!
Old 12-18-2014, 07:34 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

Thanks for sending the link. I did notice that the years advertised are all for the C4s except 1985. Maybe a typo but I am going to contact them tomorrow and see.
I think the mounting brackets use the same holes/mounting points that the convertibles used for their X-brace. The convertible didn't start until 1986, so I suspect the 1985 doesn't have those holes.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:27 PM
LongBeachC4
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

84and 85 does not have the holes, you would have to drill them and use nutserts
Old 12-18-2014, 09:30 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

Wouldn't the Convertible X Brace be less expensive? And we know it works.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:29 AM
DrDyno
Burning Brakes

Received 273 Likes on 105 Posts

This thread should answer all your questions about the Vette2Vette Frame Stiffiners, with pics...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-believer.html
Old 12-19-2014, 12:16 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

The V2V stiffener is still made/sold. The X-brace is not. You'd have the buy the later used OR wait to see if one of our forum vendors ever gets around to finishing his 1.5yr - 2yr attempt at making/marketing an x-brace.

The V2V stiffener is definitely higher-priced and doesn't SEEM to provide the same level of lateral rigidity because it doesn't add additional connection between the R/L frame rail. The other choice is harder to find and probably affects ground clearance more. So, pick your poison.

Functionally, both appear more a solution to the aesthetics of the driving experience.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:15 PM
dt#2

Support Corvetteforum!

Hello again fellow vetters. I spoke with V2V today and he said that the kit will work for a 85 but will have to be welded on the front braces. There were no provisions for the bolt hole in that year like the later ones. I am going to order it anyway and get the local vette shop to weld it up. I plan to get some pics too and post to update all. All you 86 and up C4s can probably do this in your own garage so that is a plus.
Old 12-20-2014, 12:05 AM
aboatguy
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Hello again fellow vetters. I spoke with V2V today and he said that the kit will work for a 85 but will have to be welded on the front braces. There were no provisions for the bolt hole in that year like the later ones. I am going to order it anyway and get the local vette shop to weld it up. I plan to get some pics too and post to update all. All you 86 and up C4s can probably do this in your own garage so that is a plus.
I would not weld it in!

I have a vert, and at times I've had to remove my xbrace to work on the car.

So use nutserts or weld nuts to the front so that you can remove the xbrace.

mike
Old 12-20-2014, 02:13 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

yah it actually surprises me they would suggest welding. Rather, provide a printable template and a diagram how to position it, drill holes. unless the 85/84 doesnt have the metal where the 86+ does. maybe he meant weld on a metal plate then put the holes in the plate.
Old 12-20-2014, 04:08 AM
Cruizin
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Exotic Muscle market an X-Brace kit for $395. Pity they offer exactly zero information on their products.

http://emracingcorp.com/scripts/prod...?idproduct=493
Old 12-20-2014, 10:54 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 171 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by aboatguy
I would not weld it in!

I have a vert, and at times I've had to remove my xbrace to work on the car.

So use nutserts or weld nuts to the front so that you can remove the xbrace.

mike
It will only be the 2 front plates that would need to be welded and as I recall they will not interfere with anything

Get notified of new replies

To C4 Frame Stiffener

Old 12-21-2014, 06:01 PM
luckydekko
Instructor

Any group buys on this anymore...? Also how is the steering when the targa is off? Did this fix that strong vibration problem?
Old 12-21-2014, 07:43 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

would be into a group buy more towards the spring (to give a chance for oil price to recover lol) and as far as cowl shudder, there are thread reports indicating that it is all but barely noticeable with this unit. which is why i want one!
Old 12-21-2014, 08:19 PM
luckydekko
Instructor

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
would be into a group buy more towards the spring (to give a chance for oil price to recover lol) and as far as cowl shudder, there are thread reports indicating that it is all but barely noticeable with this unit. which is why i want one!
I would be in for a group buy for sure! I think this would be one of those products that would be worth it to because the price is just on the mark to where some may want to do it but can't justify the cost. Either way I will be looking into this.

Yea the cowl shudder is really bad even on the highway that I thought something was wrong with my steering... Then someone mentioned that its the removed targa. I am in heated summer and I would love to take the targa off more but I dont because it is scary to drive..

Quick Reply: C4 Frame Stiffener