C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Plug wires..

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 01:26 PM
Chevrolet12
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plug wires..

Can someone tell what plug wires the 84 crossfire engine uses? 90 degree boots or straight? And also where they route without touching the exhaust manifold or the tubes above the manifolds.. Or maybe a pic of how they are. The previous owner had it all screwed up wires laying on the manifolds some were too long etc.. Thanks
Old 12-17-2014, 09:38 PM
pezter22
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

These photos are from the 1984 Corvette Factory Service Manual that show routing of the plug wires. Hope this helps.
Attached Images   
Old 12-19-2014, 06:52 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Petzer's diagram is a good one. This wire layout presumes your distributor is installed per the book. Since you have found some strange stuff, it would be good to check the distributor first.

With the engine at TDC on the compression stroke for #1 cyl, the rotor in your distributor needs to point toward the #1 spark plug. Pull your cap off to check this. As you probably know, the distributor can be inserted into the engine in other orientations, and will still run fine if the spark plug wires are rearranged to match the wrong position of the distributor. That will make a mess of the wire routing.

Notice the small detail drawing of the distributor cap in Petzer's diagram: The #1 terminal of the cap is pointing toward the #1 spark plug.

My '84's wires are like Petzer's diagram, except for cyl #6. The diagram shows the #6 wire going under the oil dipstick tube. That's a really tight fit, and makes it almost impossible to pull the wire off the spark plug. I have a straight terminal on my #6 plug, which routes the wire on the outside of the dipstick.

Here's a photo of my driver's side. The a/c plumbing on the pass. side makes it impossible to get a good photo there.

Old 12-19-2014, 07:24 PM
Chevrolet12
Instructor

Thank you. That helps a lot. Someone changed the engine with the 87-95 style so the dipstick is on passenger side... And I installed the magnetic pickup distributor small Cap.. I guess I need to find some wire separators cause mine are missing off the engine too..
Old 12-20-2014, 01:24 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevrolet12
Someone changed the engine with the 87-95 style so the dipstick is on passenger side.
That is a very confusing statement. Petzer's diagram, and my description state that the dipstick in the '84 is on the passenger side (unless you're in Australia!). It sounds like your dipstick is on the right (pass.) side, just as it should be, right at spark plug #6.

My picture is of the left (drivers) side of the engine. Is there any confusion there? Brake master cyl? Yes! Alternator? Yes! Heat stove tube from exhaust manifold? Yes! Dipstick? No! Air conditioning? No!

Last edited by Hot Rod Roy; 12-20-2014 at 01:41 AM.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:55 AM
Chevrolet12
Instructor

I apologize for that. I wasn't paying attention. I know someone has changed the engine and it has a 87 truck 350. Ran the casting number and it has center bolt valve covers and the intake bolt pattern is different... So I don't know what everything looked like with the right engine in there..

Get notified of new replies

To Plug wires..

Quick Reply: Plug wires..