C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Early C4 coilover pic found front

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 06:53 PM
LongBeachC4
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Early C4 coilover pic found front

For us early guys looking to go coil over, I just found this pic off an 87, This is from a track car, looks to be from the kit a few shops are selling for $1500 like Gullstrand. Just looking at a pic of the shocks tells me very little, looking at it mounted shows me that actual fit. Looks like a sway bar mount kit is needed too.
Attached Images  
Old 12-17-2014, 08:34 PM
aDigitalPhantom
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

what is it your wanting to know?
Old 12-17-2014, 09:14 PM
LongBeachC4
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not asking a question. I'm posting a pic of a coil over setup for early C4's, you see most coil over kits fit 88 and up because the shock towers on 87 and down were narrow. A regular front coil over will not fit. However there is a kit a couple of shops sell that have a small diameter coil that will fit the front. There is a pic of that coil over fitment for those looking to do this to there 84-87 C4's
Old 12-18-2014, 12:04 AM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by LongBeachC4
I'm not asking a question. I'm posting a pic of a coil over setup for early C4's, you see most coil over kits fit 88 and up because the shock towers on 87 and down were narrow. A regular front coil over will not fit. However there is a kit a couple of shops sell that have a small diameter coil that will fit the front. There is a pic of that coil over fitment for those looking to do this to there 84-87 C4's
Hi

I have Koni coil overs on my 85, did the conversion around 10 years ago when there was nothing available for C4's.

One item that needs improvement is the lower mounting plate the shock absorber bolts to, that is just pressed aluminum.
I made a new piece from 1/4 inch steel plate, heated it and bent it to the same curves and bolted that to the lower control arms.

The front sway bar connector is a big one on the C4's, it will hit the coilover spring. I got a similar type connector that is thinner and also ground a little of the sway bar to clear the coilover.

That is why that vette in the picture has that aftermarket one and sway bar angled up to clear the coilovers. The usual fix is move the sway bar forward to clear the coilovers.

The QA1 coilovers are narrower so you have less clearance problems.

Old 12-18-2014, 01:51 AM
cgantner5150
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did mine a year ago (maybe 2?) on my 86. There were some posts around that era of early C4's and coil overs.
I grooved stock Bilsteins and used coil over sleeve kits from Speedway. Picked up some coil springs. Spent an evening putting them on. I ended up not having to do anything with the sway bar (some folks have moved the mounts on the frame forward). Massaged the shock towers (spread them a bit).
No issues so far.

Old 12-18-2014, 07:31 AM
aDigitalPhantom
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Just use coilovers for 1-7/8s spring ID.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:39 PM
pushrod-v8
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Exotic Muscle makes the kit you want.

Get notified of new replies

To Early C4 coilover pic found front

Quick Reply: Early C4 coilover pic found front